Help? Gpu fried last night..

Any thoughts here?

I Basically had the card for awhile now, no issues. Dusting it out every few months to keep it clean. Tonight it crashed during a game (arma) and made the whole pc lock up, display went off but teamspeak/game continued. I rebooted and the PC continued as normal.

It happened again after about an hour and the fans on the gpu  instantly went full speed and stopped displaying and image; but again, audio and ts continued.

I restarted it again, panicked because the fans didn't sound good... This time the Pc motherboard would not post, like it does not reconize the card now and gives me a bios error for a bad VGA/Rom (MSI X99: code B2)

Without the card the PC SEEMS to post. I can't tell because there is no onboard VGA.

IVE TRIED:

- Other pci e slots

- Using other 8/6 pins to power GPU

- Clearing CMOS

- Switching to bios B in case it was A that got corrupt.

- Resetting all ram sticks / the GPU

QUESTION IS...

Do you guys think it's the GPU?

its getting RMA'd now..

Could it be the power supply being inconsistent/faulted? Is there a way to check? I do not have another PC to test any of this on.

Or could it be the Motherboard?

What are are your thoughts?

SPECS

MB: MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON

CPU: i7 6850k

RAM: 16GB corsair vengeance 

GPU: EVGA GTX 980ti 

POWER SUPPLY: Corsair TX750

@MangoOfFury @anyoneelseunderstandgeekshit

Edited by Professor Pericles

Download Speccy, and check your pc temperature, see if it's a thermal paste issue or if something wrong with fans/power supply.

but honestly if you're having that much problems, then it sounds like u need new pc :FeelsBadMan: otherwise, this is not the best place to look for help, you should try a tech site or something, they can offer tons of help.

here's one: http://www.tomshardware.com/

Edited by johnfx

Jokes aside. It seems like you've taken the proper steps. If they're replacing it, honestly, who cares. Use the replacement, if that isnt the issue, go from there. At least you're getting a newer card with less run time on it. Win win IMO. Theres no downside to getting a new replacement that theoretically has a longer lifetime. 

Professor Pericles likes this
1 hour ago, johnfx said:

but honestly if you're having that much problems, then it sounds like u need new pc 

you're retarded

Anyways, I'd just wait for the RMA process and get the card back. If you don't want to wait, you could always get a shit card like a GT210 or a 5450 for like $30 to test it out and see if the problems still continue.

I had a similar issue to this and I know it was the graphics card so I tried replacing it with another/using on board graphics to diagnose the problem. It seems it ended up frying my motherboard somewhere in the mix because I tested the graphics card in another pc and it didn't work. my pc eventually wouldn't even go to past the bios with or without any graphics card installed. but it was at the start of the problem. To make a long story short you might end up having to replace your motherboard as well if you went through the same issue(s) I did, it sounds like you have a similar problem and symptoms. 

2 hours ago, Professor Pericles said:

Any thoughts here?

I Basically had the card for awhile now, no issues. Dusting it out every few months to keep it clean. Tonight it crashed during a game (arma) and made the whole pc lock up, display went off but teamspeak/game continued. I rebooted and the PC continued as normal.

It happened again after about an hour and the fans on the gpu  instantly went full speed and stopped displaying and image; but again, audio and ts continued.

I restarted it again, panicked because the fans didn't sound good... This time the Pc motherboard would not post, like it does not reconize the card now and gives me a bios error for a bad VGA/Rom (MSI X99: code B2)

Without the card the PC SEEMS to post. I can't tell because there is no onboard VGA.

IVE TRIED:

- Other pci e slots

- Using other 8/6 pins to power GPU

- Clearing CMOS

- Switching to bios B in case it was A that got corrupt.

- Resetting all ram sticks / the GPU

QUESTION IS...

Do you guys think it's the GPU?

its getting RMA'd now..

Could it be the power supply being inconsistent/faulted? Is there a way to check? I do not have another PC to test any of this on.

Or could it be the Motherboard?

What are are your thoughts?

SPECS

MB: MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON

CPU: i7 6850k

RAM: 16GB corsair vengeance 

GPU: EVGA GTX 980ti 

POWER SUPPLY: Corsair TX750

@MangoOfFury @anyoneelseunderstandgeekshit

Its probably the battery

14 hours ago, Deny said:

you're retarded

Anyways, I'd just wait for the RMA process and get the card back. If you don't want to wait, you could always get a shit card like a GT210 or a 5450 for like $30 to test it out and see if the problems still continue.

By the time your done, you would have spent 200$ on repairs and replacements, and end up with a pc in worst conditions.

If is a motherboard problem, a new pc is needed c:

If it posts without the graphics card and it's not posting with the graphics card in other pcie ports then it's the graphics card. It could of had this issue from being old, oc too much or sending too much voltage, or just couldn't keep up with the ambient temp with cpu and other heat on it. I'd definitely download speccy on nzxt cam to see the temps and watch them but it shows some other stuff too.

It isn't your motherboard because if other PCI-E x16 slots aren't working, that isn't a coincidence. If you are still able to get the computer to post, obviously the motherboard is capable of powering on and adequately powers and controls the CPU and RAM. If your PSU was the sole cause, you'd most likely experience your computer having a burning smell, or you wouldn't be able to turn it on, or in most cases, your power supply will surge protect itself by turning itself off then on when trying to power it on.

If your computer without the GPU is able to post for an extended period of time without immediately powering off, it's fine.

If you want to be positive it isn't your motherboard, you can always try:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=31222.msg178956#msg178956

A good bet is this:

The GPU was probably receiving inadequate air flow (can you smell a bit of burning?) and therefore overheated, the GPU failed while being powered on, causing drivers to crash and your OS to malfunction, this probably gave you a BSOD and could have messed with many other factors (windows immediately shutting down is bad for you kids).

RMA your GPU for free, your vendor will test it for you and let you know if there are any issues, if there are, chances are you will get it repaired or replaced for free.

If the issue stays, swap out parts until an issue is found. No point playing a guessing game.

@Professor Pericles

Edited by LiamS3
15 hours ago, LiamS3 said:

You do realize you can replace a motherboard?

Can? Must be replaced with the same type of motherboard, along with finding the compatible damaged parts, you already got over 150$ for the motherboard then replacements, you got a few bucks. Then whether he's gonna put it together or a repair service, and then finding all the other problems.

i recommended speccy for a reason, in-case it was just his pc overheating. But if it's not, it might not be worth fixing.

On 2/24/2017 at 7:37 AM, johnfx said:

Can? Must be replaced with the same type of motherboard, along with finding the compatible damaged parts, you already got over 150$ for the motherboard then replacements, you got a few bucks. Then whether he's gonna put it together or a repair service, and then finding all the other problems.

i recommended speccy for a reason, in-case it was just his pc overheating. But if it's not, it might not be worth fixing.

It's always worth fixing when you look at how much his build is.

The same type of motherboard? Are you smoking some dank shit lmao? You only need a mobo that has the same socket which I bet i can find close to one hundred different models of.

He has the right to RMA every single one of them parts due to how new they are if he bought them from official vendors, no point throwing thousands of dollars down the drain because you are too lazy to think a little bit harder or ship some items.

Edited by LiamS3
1 hour ago, LiamS3 said:

It's always worth fixing when you look at how much his build is.

The same type of motherboard? Are you smoking some dank shit lmao? You only need a mobo that has the same socket which I bet i can find close to one hundred different models of.

He has the right to RMA every single one of them parts due to how new they are if he bought them from official vendors, no point throwing thousands of dollars down the drain because you are too lazy to think a little bit harder or ship some items.

This. 100% 

1 hour ago, Henry Facesmasher said:

i had this problem on my old pc and I decided to just build a new one instead of fixing a 3 year old pos

i was 100% sure it was my graphics card. Do you have any friends with spare graphics cards so you can test it out?

Fortunately everything is still cover under manufacture warrenty.

I do not... Back home, yes. But not here.. I'm pretty much the only PC guy I know here. I live in a state full of music nerds

As a few guys mentioned above, just gotta wait for this RMA card to come back to me and I'll get things moving along

Edited by Professor Pericles