New build this week!

The Boss

Hey guys!

Decided to upgrade my tower as it has been a while since she's been upgraded. Parts scheduled to show up on Wednesday.

Current specs :

CPU : FX 6300 OC to 4.5 GHz

GPU : AMD R9 270x

Mobo : ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Memory : GeIL EVO Veloce 16GB (2 x 8GB)  DDR3 

New specs :

CPU : i5-7600k

GPU : GTX 1080

Mobo : GIGABYTE GA-B250-Gaming 3

Memory : GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB)  DDR4 

Just wondering your guys thoughts, and how you think it will perform compared to my current setup for Arma 3

Edited by The Boss
Just now, James.Anderson said:

Put arma on a SSD. :)

And overclock your CPU and GPU. ^_^

And your game should run even better.

It's going on an SSD. GPU is the only part that wont be here by tuesday :(

I saw a good OC for the i5 is around 5GHz so that's what I'm aiming for :D .. never done GPU OC, gonna get to learn that this weekend!

If interested I ordered this one. SanDisk - Ultra II 480GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive

Won't really be able to test until the weekend, have to close all week :(

heh I'm just excited to be able to put a game on ultra for once >.> ... <.<

Edited by The Boss
Just now, Scott said:

Arma runs mainly off of CPU and I'm pretty sure the i5 will bottleneck the 1080. If you mainly play arma I'd got for an i7 and a 1070

I know it's mainly CPU, which is why I switched to intel. I don't play arma as much as I used to, but it did play a part in this build. Personally I think that the i7's aren't worth the extra money for the hyper threading but that's my opinion. In anycase. Parts are already ordered so this is what I'm gonna stick with for a while now :) Thanks for the feedback though!

Just now, The Boss said:

Perhaps, but I still fail to see @Ferknight 's point

Either way its obvious you didn't do your research on any of your parts. You simply looked at the parts with bigger numbers and chose to go with them. If you knew in anyway how Arma runs then you will understand that its not just CPU Orientated game. Its literally 50/50 with the graphics card and cpu. You're just so stupid and you listen to what everybody says. If anything the 1080 will bottleneck the CPU. Considering how good the 1080 really is.  ESPECIALLY A 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. Honestly you don't have a say in anything really if you don't know how to OC your gpu. At this point im praying for that 1080 in hopes that you dont fry it.

5 minutes ago, Ferknight said:

Either way its obvious you didn't do your research on any of your parts. You simply looked at the parts with bigger numbers and chose to go with them. If you knew in anyway how Arma runs then you will understand that its not just CPU Orientated game. Its literally 50/50 with the graphics card and cpu. You're just so stupid and you listen to what everybody says. If anything the 1080 will bottleneck the CPU. Considering how good the 1080 really is.  ESPECIALLY A 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. Honestly you don't have a say in anything really if you don't know how to OC your gpu. At this point im praying for that 1080 in hopes that you dont fry it.

First, every article and person I talked to recommends an intel CPU for Arma 3, as the engine tends to run better on Intel because of better single core performance, and those extra cores aren't helping on my 6300 -> i5

Second, I was going to get the 1060 6gb, but when I went to order it the outlet I was going to buy it from was out of stock, and the 1080 was only a tad bit more than what the next outlet wanted -> 1080

Third, I can't find a single source that agrees that its 50/50 CPU/GPU... everyone and their mother from what I've seen (and with my own very limited tests) show that Arma is by far more CPU intensive than GPU.

But hey, we'll have to wait and see.

"Honestly you don't have a say in anything really if you don't know how to OC your gpu. At this point im praying for that 1080 in hopes that you dont fry it." 

(I know how to do it, I just haven't bothered too, try reading harder)

So because I never OC'd my GPU, because my main bottleneck has been my CPU for a long time (had the r9 on my last cpu too) I never bothered with OC'ing it, I don't get a say? Hah good one.

Edited by The Boss
cuz i can
Just now, The Boss said:

First, every article and person I talked to recommends an intel CPU for Arma 3, as the engine tends to run better on Intel because of better single core performance, and those extra cores aren't helping on my 6300 -> i5

Second, I was going to get the 1060 6gb, but when I went to order it the outlet I was going to buy it from was out of stock, and the 1080 was only a tad bit more than what the next outlet wanted -> 1080

Third, I can't find a single source that agrees that its 50/50 CPU/GPU... everyone and their mother from what I've seen (and with my own very limited tests) show that Arma is by far more CPU intensive than GPU.

But hey, we'll have to wait and see.

Arma is more CPU intensive, but having a decent gpu reduces the work load for your cpu, and will allow you to get more frames and push your graphics more. :) 

The Boss likes this
Just now, The Boss said:

He ran out of actual arguments, so he's just nitpicking at my comments instead.

???

How did I run out of actual arguments? your comments are my arguments you bowlcut

I'm literally just quoting what you said & now you're trying to go back on your word. 

Stop trying to act like a smartass and accept the fact you don't know what you're talking about but you will once you have taken your time to learn it.

Just now, Norwegianviking said:

Don't buy an unlocked CPU on a locked motherboard

Well seems that was a bit of an oversight. Checking quickly, seems I may still be able to increase the base clock just not the multiplier. Worst case I send it back and buy a z270

Edited by The Boss
bum41 likes this
Just now, Ferknight said:

???

How did I run out of actual arguments? your comments are my arguments you bowlcut

I'm literally just quoting what you said & now you're trying to go back on your word. 

Stop trying to act like a smartass and accept the fact you don't know what you're talking about but you will once you have taken your time to learn it.

Scroll up a few posts.