System Question

Nyjal

30 minutes ago, Gnashes said:

Just saying, graphics cards aren't going to get you better FPS in Arma.

All about that processor and how well a single core works. Arma isn't optimized for multi-core processing, and uses 85% CPU to 15% GPU.

I have i7 6700, dunno if asylum bug but i get 30-50 FPS not medium settings, used to get 120 FPS

2 hours ago, Nyjal said:

I was looking at buying a new PC and I found one with these specs. Any clue on how well you all will think it will preform on Asylum/KOTH?

CPU: i5-6600k
GPU: GTX 960 2GB
PSU: 600w
Ram: 16gb DDR4 (x2 8gb)
HDD: 2tb
MB: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A

That's my spec, barring I've got a GTX 970. Every game on ultra - 60+ fps. Asylum - 25-40 fps.

My spec: 

i5 6600k at 4.6Ghz - Corsair H100i GTX AIO Liquid Cooler - Asus Z170 Maximus 8 Hero Gaming Motherboard - EVGA GTX 970 4GB (SSC) - 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM - 120GB Kingston SSDNow SSD - 2 x WD 1TB Hard Drives - EVGA 600w 80 Plus Power Supply 

Edited by BioHazard
2 hours ago, Gnashes said:

All about that processor and how well a single core works. Arma isn't optimized for multi-core processing, and uses 85% CPU to 15% GPU.

This isn't exactly true. I had the 750ti and running the game in Ultra  was unheard of. I recently upgraded to a 980ti and I can run it at 34-47 fps in Ultra. Funny thing is, it's about the same at High. A good graphics card will indeed get you more fps on higher settings but you are right that the processor in the fact that it  will increase your fps as well perhaps or at least reduce stuttering.

4 hours ago, Nyjal said:

I was looking at buying a new PC and I found one with these specs. Any clue on how well you all will think it will preform on Asylum/KOTH?

CPU: i5-6600k
GPU: GTX 960 2GB
PSU: 600w
Ram: 16gb DDR4 (x2 8gb)
HDD: 2tb
MB: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A

If you can, go with the 980ti  graphics card and an 800-850 watt power supply. It's what I use and I can run Ultra smooth at 34-47 fps on Asylum. Your ram is great and your processor is even better than mine xD Though if you need to reduce cost for the power supply I  suggested and the graphics card, 8gb ram is more than enough.

Edited by Neevo
1 minute ago, Neevo said:

If you can, go with the 980ti  graphics card and an 800-850 watt power supply. It's what I use and I can run Ultra smooth at 34-47 fps on Asylum.

That's like 200-300£ more than the GTX 960... I doubt he's going to spend that to get 10-20 more FPS.

Besides, if you're going for a 980ti you might aswell get a 1080 for around the same price.

3 minutes ago, BioHazard said:

That's like 200-300£ more than the GTX 960... I doubt he's going to spend that to get 10-20 more FPS.

Besides, if you're going for a 980ti you might aswell get a 1080 for around the same price.

10-20+ fps is actually significant though, the card can also run /anything/ on Ultra and is meant for 4k. Not bragging here by any means, my graphics card is the only great  part in my pc that I saved up for haha. So please don't take it as that.

Also that's not true either.  The 980ti I got was like $450, the 1080 is $600+. You are right though, I doubt he will want to spent that much extra money. It was just something I want to throw out there :) His ram is actually a good choice though.

Edited by Neevo
1 hour ago, Neevo said:

10-20+ fps is actually significant though, the card can also run /anything/ on Ultra and is meant for 4k. Not bragging here by any means, my graphics card is the only great  part in my pc that I saved up for haha. So please don't take it as that.

Also that's not true either.  The 980ti I got was like $450, the 1080 is $600+. You are right though, I doubt he will want to spent that much extra money. It was just something I want to throw out there :) His ram is actually a good choice though.

I agree. His build as he said would be enough to run arma. I only went with my 970 based off of the fact I will mostly be playing arma and low intensity games like CS:GO, dirty bomb, maybe some GTA etc. The 960 is a perfect choice, it can handle arma on ultra in single player at 60 fps but only on Asylum does it drop to 30 due to the poor server performance.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2016 at 11:08 AM, Gnashes said:

That's not true, I went from a amd radeon hd 7770 to a 1070 nvidia and went from 30 frames on optimized settings to 65 frames on higher settings

4 minutes ago, Bikstok said:

Elitist much?

I'll never understand why people buy cars if they don't understand engine rebuilds and swaps. That's why public transportation exists!

Im not saying people can't. Im just saying. Im not sure the internet, especially these forums, are the the best place to ask for information when you could be making a 1-2k purchase. Its really something that should be looked into more than asking on a public forum, especially one as full of trolls as this one. 

That and something as finicky as Arma, giving advice is kinda difficult because Arma is Arma. 

K, it was slightly elitist, but I can't really explain on paper (per se) what Im thinking. That was the best I could come up with in like 3 min. 

Edited by Axe
3 minutes ago, Axe said:

Im not saying people can't. Im just saying. Im not sure the internet, especially these forums, are the the best place to ask for information when you could be making a 1-2k purchase. Its really something that should be looked into more than asking on a public forum, especially one as full of trolls as this one. 

That and something as finicky as Arma, giving advice is kinda difficult because Arma is Arma. 

He i s asking how these specs will work on asylum, what people know how they will work other then us?

Frizzy likes this
Just now, wilber38 said:

He i s asking how these specs will work on asylum, what people know how they will work other then us?

I mean. Imma be honest with you. I've talked to people who have better or worse specs than me. Some of the people with worse specs get better performance and some people with better specs get worse. There's alot more to it than just Hardware. 

On 7/30/2016 at 0:46 PM, Neevo said:

This isn't exactly true. I had the 750ti and running the game in Ultra  was unheard of. I recently upgraded to a 980ti and I can run it at 34-47 fps in Ultra. Funny thing is, it's about the same at High. A good graphics card will indeed get you more fps on higher settings but you are right that the processor in the fact that it  will increase your fps as well perhaps or at least reduce stuttering.

660ti and have never had a problem on ultra?