Why does my build struggle at 30 fps?

Dezzo

1 minute ago, Hiraku said:

Awful CPU, and an SSD really helps.

AMD has very bad power per core, and thats what arma utilizes the most.

I'm not real familiar what an SSD does. I'm not the best with computers. Mind to explain? Even though my Cpu percent never goes over 60% when I'm playing

Edited by Ricky Bobby
Just now, Gnashes said:

A normal hard drive spins and data is read from the spinning drive.

A solid state is basically a super-high end flashdrive in which data is read from a single, solidstate, drive.

The end result is that an SSD has significantly higher read/write times than a conventional HDD.

So replace, The HDD with an SSD. As well as get a new processor gotcha. I wouldn't have to get a new motherboard would I?

Just now, Ricky Bobby said:

So replace, The HDD with an SSD. As well as get a new processor gotcha. I wouldn't have to get a new motherboard would I?

Depends on which chipset you get, the newer intel cpu's have a different chip than what the older ones did, if you choose to get a newer CPU then you might have to get a new motherboard, do some research on your current CPU and if you dont want to upgrade look around for a CPU that has the same chipset. 

I run Arma with an average of 45 fps on High settings and I use a standard 1TB hardrive, a GTX 660, 16GB of Ram, and an i5 4670k Intel CPU. My gpu is just plain average and arma doesn't use a shit ton of ram. That pretty much just leaves my CPU, which is relatively high end and hasn't caused me any problems. If your looking to upgrade anything id look at your CPU.

17 hours ago, Quenton said:

I run Arma with an average of 45 fps on High settings and I use a standard 1TB hardrive, a GTX 660, 16GB of Ram, and an i5 4670k Intel CPU. My gpu is just plain average and arma doesn't use a shit ton of ram. That pretty much just leaves my CPU, which is relatively high end and hasn't caused me any problems. If your looking to upgrade anything id look at your CPU.

Really good, cheap setup if you can find the right deals, I run this and average about the same FPS.

Your CPU has a low processing clock, meaning that Arma, a game thats engine works off the cpu, is not going to be fast. There are some settings that if turned high enough will shift to the GPU, but overall the game runs off your cpu. Becuase of the low clock speed the game can't process the information it has to for you to get good frames. This issue is mostly with multiplayer, as singleplayer has less things for your cpu to do. I'd recommend saving the money you will spend on a ssd and get an i7 4970k, a great cpu capable of 5+gHz OC'ed, easily getting you 60fps on the game. 

Until then, use this guide to find a nice balance for your fps. 

http://wiki.day0.com.au/ArmA_3_Performance_Tweaks_and_Settings_Guide 

I'll post my suggested settings for you here later, theyre basically a dumbed down version of Diseaseds settings (good for enthusiast grade cpus) that will run well on your cpu

Dezzo likes this
8 minutes ago, Sean // Fitty Bread said:

Your CPU has a low processing clock, meaning that Arma, a game thats engine works off the cpu, is not going to be fast. There are some settings that if turned high enough will shift to the GPU, but overall the game runs off your cpu. Becuase of the low clock speed the game can't process the information it has to for you to get good frames. This issue is mostly with multiplayer, as singleplayer has less things for your cpu to do. I'd recommend saving the money you will spend on a ssd and get an i7 4970k, a great cpu capable of 5+gHz OC'ed, easily getting you 60fps on the game. 

Until then, use this guide to find a nice balance for your fps. 

http://wiki.day0.com.au/ArmA_3_Performance_Tweaks_and_Settings_Guide 

I'll post my suggested settings for you here later, theyre basically a dumbed down version of Diseaseds settings (good for enthusiast grade cpus) that will run well on your cpu

Fitty 4 admin

1 hour ago, Henry Facesmasher said:

AMD, Ram (get one more stick at a minimum, same brand), no ssd (which will only help with load times)

If you do get a ssd make sure you put arma on it along with your windows.

Also windows 8 sucks so bad.

The only decent thing in that build is the video card.

Don't buy new ram.  Save for cpu then ssd. If you are on windows 8 8.1 offers better performance, and windows 10 even more. SSDs also do not only help with load times. When your HDD us spinning and the game is running off of it you will experience stuttering and fps drops much more frequently during high load times because your cpu is working on processing, not commanding. SSDs greatly minimzie this with much faster reads and writes that allow your cpu to not spend as much time 'commanding' them.  you need a new motherboard btw

Edited by Sean // Fitty Bread