The problem i have with scroll wheel

This is why i think asylum should do less scroll wheel options, and more custom key binds for certain actions(plus custom key actions are just easier than going through a giant scroll wheel list)... The scroll wheel is fucking aids firstly, it's inconsistent, buggy, and is an fps killer (shown in video below),. As you can see, i have pretty constant 45 fps, until i bring up scroll wheel menu, drops it down to FUCKING 20.... Why not use more custom key actions and less emphasis on scroll wheel options?

thoughts? anybody else notice fps drop when using scroll wheel options? agree with my premise of less scroll wheel options more custom key actions? disagree?

Gatorade likes this

Agreed, It's time for the scroll wheel to be removed almost completely, It causes mass lag for the server and is just a shit thing. Scroll wheel should only be used for necessary things like jumping into a car as a cop... Then the cars also have stupid options such as seat belt, that thing is just stupid, then blinkers, we have q & e already for them so why keep the scroll option? @bamf @Gnashes  Please remove some scroll options, there are way to many.

Jaylen Sarrett likes this
Just now, Churu said:

Agreed, It's time for the scroll wheel to be removed almost completely, It causes mass lag for the server and is just a shit thing. Scroll wheel should only be used for necessary things like jumping into a car as a cop... Then the cars also have stupid options such as seat belt, that thing is just stupid, then blinkers, we have q & e already for them so why keep the scroll option? @bamf @Gnashes  Please remove some scroll options, there are way to many.

>tries to scroll wheel seatbelt on

>scroll wheel bugs
>ejects from vehicle
>dead

Patato and Squirtle like this
Just now, Churu said:

Many other servers use the windows key for multiple actions.

I'm not going to dedicate the time to reworking our entire interaction system. You're talking a few weeks of effort for zero progression.

Just now, Jaylen Sarrett said:

>tries to scroll wheel seatbelt on

>scroll wheel bugs
>ejects from vehicle
>dead

Put on the seatbelt before you start driving perhaps?

Just now, Gnashes said:

I'm not going to dedicate the time to reworking our entire interaction system. You're talking a few weeks of effort for zero progression.

Put on the seatbelt before you start driving perhaps?

Well you don't have to rework the "entire"  interaction system, there are just some actions you could rework for example gathering in fields don't need a scroll action.

The cars blinkers already have keys assigned so why keep the scroll option?

Just now, Fudger said:

Then work on be kicks!

Not a lot of help I can give provided that, once again, I'm not a programmer or networking guy.

Just now, Churu said:

Well you don't have to rework the "entire"  interaction system, there are just some actions you could rework for example gathering in fields don't need a scroll action.

The cars blinkers already have keys assigned so why keep the scroll option?

Comparatively, the blinker options have 2 checks each, compared to some other options that have dozens. No real performance impact coming from those.
Just now, Gnashes said:

I'm not going to dedicate the time to reworking our entire interaction system. You're talking a few weeks of effort for zero progression

im not saying rework the entire system... but remove the useless ones that could easily be bound, or already have been bound to custom keys... the scroll wheel is just bad, it would be great if we could use it as little as possible... And i think making the system better this way, would be progression... it certainly would be an improvement to the former.

Just now, Fudger said:

And since your the only one that does any work.. your saying its just never gonna get fixed and left there?

I'm the only one doing publicly visible work. Bamf and Paratus still do things, just a lot more of it's backend.

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

i noticed in other servers they use windows key for a lot of things. windows key gathers stuff, it opens a menu on cars or people on cop. windows key is basically for everything.

yea, most servers do this... and they have a reason for it too... because scroll wheel blows donkey dick... idk why asylum wouldn't put some effort into improving an interaction system which is mediocre at best...

4 minutes ago, Jaylen Sarrett said:

yea, most servers do this... and they have a reason for it too... because scroll wheel blows donkey dick... idk why asylum wouldn't put some effort into improving an interaction system which is mediocre at best...

Convenience really.  Taking some stuff off wouldnt really hurt much tho.

1 hour ago, Jaylen Sarrett said:

This is why i think asylum should do less scroll wheel options, and more custom key binds for certain actions(plus custom key actions are just easier than going through a giant scroll wheel list)... The scroll wheel is fucking aids firstly, it's inconsistent, buggy, and is an fps killer (shown in video below),. As you can see, i have pretty constant 45 fps, until i bring up scroll wheel menu, drops it down to FUCKING 20.... Why not use more custom key actions and less emphasis on scroll wheel options?

thoughts? anybody else notice fps drop when using scroll wheel options? agree with my premise of less scroll wheel options more custom key actions? disagree?

I've never had that much of a problem with scroll wheel over the years other then having inconsistant option selecting with seatbelts and restraining.

With that being said since the servers stability decreased the scroll wheel has huge problems and lags for me as well. Thinking about it after that like you said it just seems like a really shitty idea rather then having a little UI menu pop up from a button press and the boxes being deselected based on what variables are present at the time the UI is brought up.

Jaylen Sarrett likes this
Just now, Sugarfoot said:

it just seems like a really shitty idea rather then having a little UI menu pop up from a button press and the boxes being deselected based on what variables are present at the time the UI is brought up.

You're talking (literally) dozens of hours of work to make a "little UI menu" for me.

Just now, Gnashes said:

You're talking (literally) dozens of hours of work to make a "little UI menu" for me.

Hmm that sounds horrible to be honest, I am only speaking from a grey hat perspective on it.

What would you think could meet in the middle with a low amount of work and upkeep but taking a step away from scrollwheel reaction type stuff

Just now, reid said:

After playing on the server for 2 years this idea sounds pretty unnecessary and nitpickish Even when i ran a 760 or rx290 i never experienced frame drops during scroll wheeling. 

I think there are bigger issues that cause more problems as well. If I recall the way the wanted list and the way gangs are handled is much more of a problem than scroll wheel. 

34 minutes ago, reid said:

After playing on the server for 2 years this idea sounds pretty unnecessary and nitpickish Even when i ran a 760 or rx290 i never experienced frame drops during scroll wheeling. 

i guess, if you consider making a better interaction system than the current is "unnecessary"... i don't see it that way...