APD SGT+ Admin-like Events (Convoys/Etc)

Sandwich

We've seen it tons of times in the past - nice little admin hosted live events where a handful of APD officers take a convoy from one side of the map to the other that have valuables/goods in them for the rebels/civs that successfully take the convoy. 

How about we have a system where at HQs, there's a scroll wheel option for SGT+ (or something similar to this) where a scripted few armored vehicles (2 Hunters and a hemtt) spawn somewhere nearby. After the vehicles spawn, the cops have 60 seconds before a server wide notification goes off and alerts the server. If the convoy is successfully taken to the other side of the map, the cops can seize what's inside? Maybe? Maybe this could just be a Kavala/Sofia thing? Maybe going from the other HQs would be too short? It could be seen in part like a federal event of sorts. 

There would be APD policy involved of course to this. Something along the lines of (can/will be changed):
-Only 1 APD server event per restart
-There MUST be 7+ cops present and taking part for convoy (including SGT+)
-If any SGT+ is found to be misusing the system, there will be serious consequences in the form of points/possible removal (similar strictness to LT raids)
-Etc

The convoy can be the first server wide APD event tested over a handful of months. Then maybe we can come up with others and then go from there! 

Lets talk it out and see what people think. 
People have been wanting new things added to the server. This isn't inherently new, but would be a nice breath of fresh air occasionally when the event is conducted!

Overall, I genuinely believe having a system in place where SGT+ have access to a fun server-wide event would be healthy as long as there is APD policy in place. 

Edited by Sandwich
Bad Samaritan likes this

APD higher ups are not admins, and have no enforcement power to set any limitations or rules on a convoy event. It’s likely that the vast majority of convoys would be ruined by VDM, destroyed by desync or just generally be a disaster without an admin present.

The convoy idea is already possible. Spawn the vehicles in, go to C4 news and make an announcement and watch the crowd assemble. 

Also if you make the penalty for mistakes the same severity as an LT house inventory raid they will become just as rare as them. I wouldn’t do an event if even a slight mishap on my part would get me removed from the whole APD.

5 minutes ago, Michael L said:

APD higher ups are not admins, and have no enforcement power to set any limitations or rules on a convoy event. It’s likely that the vast majority of convoys would be ruined by VDM, destroyed by desync or just generally be a disaster without an admin present.

The convoy idea is already possible. Spawn the vehicles in, go to C4 news and make an announcement and watch the crowd assemble. 

Also if you make the penalty for mistakes the same severity as an LT house inventory raid they will become just as rare as them. I wouldn’t do an event if even a slight mishap on my part would get me removed from the whole APD.

I definitely get where you're coming from. My goal for this was to just come up with some sort of idea that could be a nice fun event that the Devs could help create to have the APD get a little more involved in something that could be healthy for the server. 

VDM would of course be something that could be likely, but use cops could try to prepare for that in some way? Maybe the civs would know we've be confirmed recording and they've be reported? Etc. But for sure that would be an issue I'm sure along with desync. 

Of course we could do the convoy event now like you said, but there would be so many extra steps that would be a pain in the ass to check off for a successful version of that. Getting all the applicable vehicles, undercover to grab an expensive hemtt, then more money likely spent to be the reward in the hemtt, then more money spent to send out the notification and the news tower, etc. Sure we could do it, but with the money that we'd take out of our own pokets, you likely wouldnt see it done. Even if it was, it'd liekly be very very rare to get a group of people to pool money for it. This idea would basically allow cops to not have to spend money on it (except for their own loadouts) which would have you see it actually happen. 

And I guess I didnt word that right. There likely wouldnt be much policy you could really put on a specific convoy event in general. Maybe just "dont use the event more than once per restart or else" type of thing and the # of cops needed. No need for a list of policy like the raiding. 

Pros and Cons right? Just throwing an idea out there. 

4 minutes ago, Austin M said:

I’ve been to enough convoys to know, the convoy would never make it out of kavala without a swift vdm ruining everything.

I've been there brother. I definitely know what you mean. I've been in my fair share of convoys that get shitted on. 

If this idea went through though, there would be not much loss other than a failed event and a loadout in that case. I'm sure (hopefully...) would be SGT+ willing to persevere though the BS of failed events in strive for the occasional ones that are successful. We'll always have a handful of ass events like that, but the ones that go well would I feel be kind of worth it. Just do these when not much on cop is going on. Kind of like a "whats there to lose? Might be successful and fun" kind of thing. 

I have personally run the convoy event a ton of times. Frankly I just hate it, out of every admin event I've done its honestly the worst. I have 10x more fun doing a team deathmatch. Or sitting all the cops in some sort of fort then gearing up rebels to attack. I have scripts going back to @Deazy Johnsonfor convoy events, I've iterated on them and tried to improve but it just sucks so bad.

APD convoy event has so many issues. The first being VDM'd/Desync'd. Even with 2-3 Admins on hand its always a mess. You're constantly reviving/respawning/regearing civs/cops because Arma happened.

Often times you have to gear up the rebel populace in the first place as not many people want to attack a laggy column of Armed APD vehicles. Its hard to get enough civilians to coordinate an attack. They struggle to get the convoy to stop as they don't have appropriate tools like APD do (Spike strips being #1). So as the admin i end up scripting in a tire blow-out/halting the convoy in a shitty spot where I've given civilians pre-advanced warning to setup and attack. In short if you don't have someone there actually pushing interaction and baby-sitting. You end up with an APD DP-Mission that no one is going to attack.

You also have a contingent of players who don't want to participate in the event, and actively act to interfere/cut it short. I was constantly shooing away Speed-Bombs/Vests/Grenades as one speed bomb into the rebels effectively ends the event as they wont re-spawn and regear in time to attack again. I also had to constantly ask BH'ers to leave the event as rebels already put themselves in exposed positions to attack the convoy. Then some BH comes up and one taps them in the back.

I also see this being a APD guidebook nightmare "Were tired of federal event spam, lets spawn the convoy so rebels can't start events then find some cheese route/annoying place to stop the convoy and sit in towers". Obviously the answer is script as much as possible and just have it blow up if the convoy stops for too long or fails after a timer. But its impossible to predict every scenario where cops will test the limit of what's allowed. Time and time again officers have proven to me that they are not capable of making decisions during events that are fair/fun for all. I struggled to deal with it when i was there physically running the event as an Admin/LT with other Admins helping. I'm never going to be able to automate it to a level where its actually /fun/ with no admin input. Nor are the captains going to be able to put in enough policy to stop random apd officers from ruining the fun.

We already fight/ban with people constantly abusing the current rebel transport event. That stupid tempest was constantly in Athira making it a massive red-zone before we just started whole-sale banning anyone who exploited it. And imo were at a stage in Arma where I'm tired of banning people over petty shit. Id rather have the player on the server than banning them for trolling some event that isn't even enjoyable to host/play. 

Like wise i don't want to lose an APD officer/halt their promotion because they decided to limit test an event that is effectively a DP-mission

TNT and Sandwich like this

If we could do it I'd love it. Unlike @Patato, it's by far my favorite event to host on a busy day on the server. I WILL admit it's quite difficult to get rebels to actually attack and find that balance that makes it fair for the cops but also the rebels so it doesn't end in a few minutes. When admins host these, people KNOW there are admins watching, but STILL VDM/use explosives/ blah blah blah so having no admins will be... yikes..

Also, rebels are pretty lazy now and like to just sit at fed events to kill cops. Have you noticed there are almost no shippings now? 

Sandwich likes this