Advice for combat controls?

I often find myself losing fights, not because im a bad shot, but because im bad at actually getting ready to shoot

what I mean is, for me, the controls are very clunky, specifically the ones that matter like prone, crouch, combat stances, and zooming in.

an example would be: i see a guy running and i need to quickly bring up my sights, but instead I will zoom in without my gun being deployed

or: getting shot at, i somehow? press the wrong key or something and my character goes sit>stand>sit>stand>prone 

Olivia likes this
22 minutes ago, Axe said:

Theres not amount of control rebinding or settings that will make you better. 

That's like copying a class for Call of Dogshit because one person did good with it.

...are you shitting me? Call of Duty classes were OP as fuck...get a good one and you become good at the game. 

I had one called 9/11 in MW2, ran around with Marathon Pro/Lightweight Pro/Steady Aim Pro...used the fucking RPG as my primary and usually was on top of the leaderboard by the end of the game lmao 

16 minutes ago, epTic said:

...are you shitting me? Call of Duty classes were OP as fuck...get a good one and you become good at the game. 

I had one called 9/11 in MW2, ran around with Marathon Pro/Lightweight Pro/Steady Aim Pro...used the fucking RPG as my primary and usually was on top of the leaderboard by the end of the game lmao 

Most recent of the franchise dont have things like that because entitled cry babies who need every weapon to practically be level as far as drawbacks and benefits. 

In prior games stuff WAS inherently OP (M16/MP5 on COD 4). But not anymore. 

Its the age shift, as old players have stopped playing the game and kids that were born after 2000 begin playing the game, while its only a few years difference, it is a huge difference as far as what they expect. 

Im no amazing player or anything but ive grown comfortable over my time here using the following on my Razer Taipan:

1. Zoom in / Out of scope with left side mouse buttons - allows really fast switching between the scopes since im mostly a first person player.

2. Always have aim braced up by pressing c prior to moving PERIOD. If you havn't been doing this then you are literally at the biggest disadvantage in third person combat

3. From my experience laying prone at a cartel rarely has a use other then steadying aim for a 1k shot. Most of the time you lay prone your leg sticks out and Johnny SniperFoot will just hit you in the leg.

4. As for changing stances I like the control because it gives me a second to pause when im changing stances  - arma isnt a rush game is a positioning game. Its only a rush game when either your position is up or your enemies is. With that being said if you dont like that you could bind it to the right side buttons or something like V or space bar so you wouldn't accidentally hit it.

Olivia likes this

The right control scheme really helped me get better at shooting faster.  Much faster.  In all other shooters I'm a "Spacebar = shoot, Left Click = jump" kinda gal but couldn't quite get that to work for me in Arma, though I may try sometime soon again.

These are the custom controls I have that I would recommend:

• 2 out of 6 of my side mouse buttons = View zoom in/out (default bound to Numpad +/-, not scope in/out.)
  • 1 mouse side button = raise/lower weapon (default bound to double tap CTRL)
  • Spacebar = Toggle crouch (default bound to X.)  Easier to smash spacebar twice when quick peaking than trying to hit X.
ryno7 likes this
52 minutes ago, Olivia said:

The right control scheme really helped me get better at shooting faster.  Much faster.  In all other shooters I'm a "Spacebar = shoot, Left Click = jump" kinda gal but couldn't quite get that to work for me in Arma, though I may try sometime soon again.

These are the custom controls I have that I would recommend:

• 2 out of 6 of my side mouse buttons = View zoom in/out (default bound to Numpad +/-, not scope in/out.)
  • 1 mouse side button = raise/lower weapon (default bound to double tap CTRL)
  • Spacebar = Toggle crouch (default bound to X.)  Easier to smash spacebar twice when quick peaking than trying to hit X.

This^, it will not make you instantly better at the game but with practice it may provide long term benefits. The only real way to get better is to practice and practice. I'd say 500 hours will get you a start but it's not close to really starting to understand.