Of Strife and Men

The little evening breeze blew over the clearing and the leaves rustled and the wind waves flowed up the green pool. And the shouts of players sounded again, this time much closer than before.

Bamf took off his hat. He said shakily, "Take off your hat, Strife. The air feels fine."

Strife removed his hat dutifully and laid it on the ground in front of him. The shadow on the island was bluer, and the evening came fast. On the wind the sound of crashing in the brush came to them.

Strife said, "Tell how it’s gonna be."

Bamf had been listening to the distant sounds. For a moment he was business-like. "Look acrost the river, Strife an’ I’ll tell you so you can almost see it."

Strife turned his head and looked off across the pool and up the darkening slopes of Tanoa. "We gonna het a little place," Bamf began. He reached in his side pocket and brought out Gnashes’ Luger; he snapped off the safety, and the hand and gun lay on the ground behind Strifes’s back. He looked at the back of Strifes’s head, at the place where the spine and skull were joined.

A man’s voice called from up the river, and another man answered.

"Go on," said Strife.

Bamf raised the gun and his hand shook, and he dropped his hand to the ground again.

"Go on," said Strife. "How’s it gonna be. We gonna get a little place."

"We’ll have a jet," said Bamf. "An’ we’ll have maybe a tank an’ mortars…an’ down the flat we’ll have a …little bank—"

"For the money," Strife shouted.

"For the money," Bamf repeated.

"And I get to tend the money."

"An’ you get to tend the money"

Strife giggled with happiness. "An’ live on the fatta the 20k’."

"Yes."

Strife turned his head.

"No, Strife. Look down there acrost the river, like you can almost see the place."

Strife obeyed him. Bamf looked down at the gun.

There were crashing footsteps in the brush now. Bamf turned and looked toward them.

"Go on, Bamf. When we gonna do it?"

"Gonna fo it soon."

"Me an’ you."

"You…and me." Ever’body gonna be nice to you. Ain’t gonna be no more trouble. Nobody gonna tell ya to run meth no more. Ever'body gonna play you."

Strife said, "I thought you was mad at me, Bamf."

"No," said Bamf. "No, Strife. I ain’t mad. I never been mad, an’ I ain’t now. That’s a thing I want ya to know."

The voices came closer now. Bamf raised the gun and listened to the voices.

Strife begged, "Le’s do it now. Le’s get that place now."

"Sure, right now. I gotta. We gotta."

And Bamf raised the gun and steadied it, and he brought the mussel of it close to the back of Strife’s head. The hand shook violently, but his face set and his hand steadied. He pulled the trigger. The crash of the shot rolled up the hills and rolled down again. Strife jarred, and then settled slowly forward to the sand, and he lay without quivering.

1utk8a.jpg