Ryzen VS I9 !!!

Waldo

So I almost have enough money to build my own gaming PC. 

And my biggest question is Intel or AMD?

AMD is releasing a 16core/32 thread processor in late August. Since this is my first PC I want to build something nice, so I don't have to end up replacing it in a year or two.

So if you could share your PC specs along with the average frame-rate you currently get, I'd appreciate it.

• Processor (CPU):
  • Graphics Card (GPU):
  • RAM:
  • Storage (HDD/SSD):
  • Power Supply (PSU):
  • Extras:
  • Software:
  • Arma 3 Build:

20 minutes ago, Waldo said:

AMD is releasing a 16core/32 thread processor in late August. Since this is my first PC I want to build something nice, so I don't have to end up replacing it in a year or two.

So if you could share your PC specs along with the average frame-rate you currently get, I'd appreciate it.

• Processor (CPU):
  • Graphics Card (GPU):
  • RAM:
  • Storage (HDD/SSD):
  • Power Supply (PSU):
  • Extras:
  • Software:
  • Arma 3 Build:

Points of importance:

Games don't use a ton of threads, single core performance is most important. Which ever brand you wanna crank up those GHz numbers to the max.

From personal experience the biggest impact of your game FPS depends on your CPU.

Don't worry abou that 1080GTX Ti, it's really unnecessary for ARMA atleast.

The fastest type of RAM is always the best choice for good performance but see what your  budget fits. (You don't need a ton of RAM, 8GB will actually do fine)

SSD for ARMA is really necessary if you want to minimize lag, there's lots of people in this community that have felt this huge difference.

Recommended build;

1060 - 1080 GTX 6GB VRAM

16GB RAM DDR4-2800

SSD 250-500GB + HDD 1-3 TB

CPU: i7 6700k (Intel)

PSU: I'll leave this for yourself to pick

Water cooling is always nice if you're really going for that high end build and might even want to overclock.

Kettles, DJB, Waldo and 1 other like this

The FPS I get depends on allot of different factors. That being said im going to give an average based on playing on the asylum servers. 

On average I would estimate that using all ultra settings with some post processing effects turned off at 8000 view distance and a 2560x1440p monitor my frame-rate is between 50-95fps depending on where on the map I am. 

Honestly for arma I cant stress enough that the best route is INTEL! and nvidia. Get a good single thread performance quad core processor. (Dont get the new i9's) Don't even bother with AMD. Its not necessarily about which is better but arma has always run like shit on AMD. 

Full build can be found here: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bgBCnn

• Processor (CPU): Intel Core i7-6700K Quad- Core overclocked to 4.8GHz (Corsair H100i GTX AIO Watercooler)
  • Graphics Card (GPU): MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X non overclocked
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB
  • Storage (HDD/SSD): Samsung -950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD (Read speed 2500MB/s)
  • Power Supply (PSU): Corsair 850W PSU
  • Software: Windows 10
  • Arma 3 Build: Screenshots of setting below
    Spoiler

2c97b61c869a7c0256e19d19d2ef79b5.png

04a717f66c870a6f99440e1492248094.png

6adf0be728fdb4266bd255a9e4281120.png

Waldo likes this

A computer's speed and processing power aren't attributable to a single component. It takes a number of pieces of hardware working together to determine your computer's overall performance. What it all boils down to is how well, and how quickly, all the important components communicate with each other to perform actions.

Processor Speed and Cache Size

The central processing unit is effectively your computer's brain. This chip executes all processes and instructions in your computer, responding with the appropriate action depending on what order you give it, such as opening a program. The speed of your CPU, known as clock speed, is the number of cycles the chip performs in one second. The faster the CPU runs, the more processes it can run at any given time. A CPU with a clock speed of 3 GHz, for example, can run 3 thousand million cycles each second. The processor's cache is the onboard memory, used to store information so the processor can access it quickly. The more cache your CPU has, the more data it can store and the faster it can run processes.

Front Side Bus

Also known as the system bus, the front side bus is what connects the CPU to the rest of the components attached to the motherboard. Measured in MHz or GHz, the speed of the front side bus determines how quickly the CPU can communicate with the graphics card, RAM and other components. The bus speed is usually a ratio of the CPU's speed; the smaller the ratio, the the more efficient the processor. For example, a 2.4-GHz CPU with a 400-MHz bus is a 6:1 ratio. This setup would work more slowly than a 2-GHz CPU and 1-GHz bus, which is a 2:1 ratio.

RAM Speed and Amount

Random access memory, or RAM, is the temporary holding spot for data. When running processes, your CPU looks first at its onboard cache for data, then to the system's RAM. The more RAM you have and the faster it can transfer information, the more data your CPU can access and use before having to jump to the much slower hard drive for data storage. RAM specs are listed in terms such as DDR3-1600. The number after the dash refers to the number of transfers the chip can handle. The higher the number, the faster the memory is, and the more memory you have installed, the more transfers it can handle.

Hard Drive Size and Speed

After the CPU's cache and system RAM, the hard drive is the third storage space your processor accesses for data. Simply put, the bigger and faster the drive, the better your computer's performance. A well-organized drive, with plenty of empty space and no heavy fragmenting, will help the read/write head find the requested information faster. Hard drives are measured in rotations per minute, or RPM, which essentially means how fast they spin to allow the read/write head to find the requested data. So a hard drive with 200GB of empty space with a speed of 7200RPM would theoretically find data faster than a drive with only 20GB of space running at 5400RPM. The more cluttered the drive, the longer it will take the read/write head to find the data it's looking for.

Waldo likes this
39 minutes ago, Waldo said:

• Processor (CPU):
  • Graphics Card (GPU):
  • RAM:
  • Storage (HDD/SSD):
  • Power Supply (PSU):
  • Extras:
  • Software:
  • Arma 3 Build:

Still waiting on the finished jet montage

Just now, Azeh said:

just wanna add that RAM speed is a pretty big deal in Arma unlike other games

armaIIIfps.png

This is true and more so if you plan on buying a Ryzen CPU since Infinity Fabric depends on faster ram speed. As others have said, if you are building an ARMA focused PC, then Intel 7700k @ 5 ghz + NVIDIA 1080/Ti is the way to go. If you plan to do production work on the computer half the time and gaming the other half (not just ARMA), then a Ryzen is a great value. 

You don't need a 32 thread 16 core cpu to play arma 3 on. What you need for the most part is a cpu with good single core performance. My pc has an amd 1600x and a gtx 1070 in it. I usually get a into the middle 60's for fps and I haven't even overclocked my cpu yet. However, I don't have an ssd. If you get an SSD the game will be a lot more playable during gunfights (at least that is what I have gathered).

• Processor (CPU): i5 4670k (3.4 stock currently at Over Clocked like 3.6 or 3.7 i forget)
  • Graphics Card (GPU): GTX 760 SOC 4gb 
  • RAM: 12gb mis matched brands so I dont remember the speed
  • Storage (HDD/SSD): 500gb evo ssd and 500 gb 8200 rpm hdd
  • Power Supply (PSU): 650 watt modular Corsair
  • Extras:  Game configured properly
  • Software: Windows 7
  • Arma 3 Build: Costed me around 600$ with warrentys about 5 years ago (Not including video card - that was another 350). Total price still under 1k.

PC is 5 years old and I currently run most things on ARMA 3 on ultra and some things on low that aren't needed or hinder my gameplay.

Average Frames are: 50-55

Frames During Shit Shows: 35

Always stable since my OS and game are on my SSD.

- Im not going to be that guy and tell you what to do with your money but not all the things on computer parts mean anything other then fancy numbers. Games dont utilize 4 cores let alone 16 or 32, and games dont magically run better because you have four times the required ram, pay attention to the speed on things. I aint your boss though

Edited by Sugarfoot
Yung Kali-G, Google™ and Waldo like this
6 hours ago, tryhardsqueaker said:

Still waiting on the finished jet montage

I'll finish it soon

6 hours ago, Midamaru said:

A computer's speed and processing power aren't attributable to a single component. It takes a number of pieces of hardware working together to determine your computer's overall performance. What it all boils down to is how well, and how quickly, all the important components communicate with each other to perform actions.

Processor Speed and Cache Size

The central processing unit is effectively your computer's brain. This chip executes all processes and instructions in your computer, responding with the appropriate action depending on what order you give it, such as opening a program. The speed of your CPU, known as clock speed, is the number of cycles the chip performs in one second. The faster the CPU runs, the more processes it can run at any given time. A CPU with a clock speed of 3 GHz, for example, can run 3 thousand million cycles each second. The processor's cache is the onboard memory, used to store information so the processor can access it quickly. The more cache your CPU has, the more data it can store and the faster it can run processes.

Front Side Bus

Also known as the system bus, the front side bus is what connects the CPU to the rest of the components attached to the motherboard. Measured in MHz or GHz, the speed of the front side bus determines how quickly the CPU can communicate with the graphics card, RAM and other components. The bus speed is usually a ratio of the CPU's speed; the smaller the ratio, the the more efficient the processor. For example, a 2.4-GHz CPU with a 400-MHz bus is a 6:1 ratio. This setup would work more slowly than a 2-GHz CPU and 1-GHz bus, which is a 2:1 ratio.

RAM Speed and Amount

Random access memory, or RAM, is the temporary holding spot for data. When running processes, your CPU looks first at its onboard cache for data, then to the system's RAM. The more RAM you have and the faster it can transfer information, the more data your CPU can access and use before having to jump to the much slower hard drive for data storage. RAM specs are listed in terms such as DDR3-1600. The number after the dash refers to the number of transfers the chip can handle. The higher the number, the faster the memory is, and the more memory you have installed, the more transfers it can handle.

Hard Drive Size and Speed

After the CPU's cache and system RAM, the hard drive is the third storage space your processor accesses for data. Simply put, the bigger and faster the drive, the better your computer's performance. A well-organized drive, with plenty of empty space and no heavy fragmenting, will help the read/write head find the requested information faster. Hard drives are measured in rotations per minute, or RPM, which essentially means how fast they spin to allow the read/write head to find the requested data. So a hard drive with 200GB of empty space with a speed of 7200RPM would theoretically find data faster than a drive with only 20GB of space running at 5400RPM. The more cluttered the drive, the longer it will take the read/write head to find the data it's looking for.

Thanks! this helped me a lot man.

Glass of Water and Midamaru like this

Ryzen is cheap and solid due to multithreading, and for future games a solid processor 

(I have the AMD Ryzen 1800x, with a gtx 1080, and i get more frames then some people with i7's)

if ur going for intel, wait it out

Intel said that the I7 was their last serie, but then when AMD came with the ryzen so they had competition and brought out the I9 series. Let them fight a little bit, cause you will get much better for a much cheaper price, cause intel actually has to do something again for once instead of upgrading it a tiny bit and upping the price with another 300 dollars.

Thor... and Waldo like this
22 hours ago, wollie35 said:

Ryzen is cheap and solid due to multithreading, and for future games a solid processor 

(I have the AMD Ryzen 1800x, with a gtx 1080, and i get more frames then some people with i7's)

if ur going for intel, wait it out

Intel said that the I7 was their last serie, but then when AMD came with the ryzen so they had competition and brought out the I9 series. Let them fight a little bit, cause you will get much better for a much cheaper price, cause intel actually has to do something again for once instead of upgrading it a tiny bit and upping the price with another 300 dollars.

Do not buy the new intel series. It's something they rushed and all but one of the chips are a downgrade from 6700k-7700k.

On 24/07/2017 at 3:02 AM, Sugarfoot said:
  • Processor (CPU): i5 4670k (3.4 stock currently at Over Clocked like 3.6 or 3.7 i forget)
  • Graphics Card (GPU): GTX 760 SOC 4gb 
  • RAM: 12gb mis matched brands so I dont remember the speed
  • Storage (HDD/SSD): 500gb evo ssd and 500 gb 8200 rpm hdd
  • Power Supply (PSU): 650 watt modular Corsair
  • Extras:  Game configured properly
  • Software: Windows 7
  • Arma 3 Build: Costed me around 600$ with warrentys about 5 years ago (Not including video card - that was another 350). Total price still under 1k.

PC is 5 years old and I currently run most things on ARMA 3 on ultra and some things on low that aren't needed or hinder my gameplay.

Average Frames are: 50-55

Frames During Shit Shows: 35

Pretty much the same as sugar, but I have a 970. Honestly I think for the price I paid for the set up it was great, people might get more fps than me but mine is still adequate :)

(I was saving about £20 a month in college to buy it so ofc it's nothing special)

Edited by Yung Kali-G
Gatorade likes this