Olympus servers

Just now, Nagidal said:

what is the difference between the Olympus database and the Asylum database and why does a server with 110 people have zero to no lag compared to an 85 player server? is it a hardware issue? should the owners change databases? why is server lag just an asylum thing is all I'm asking? 

Asylum has had quite a few people work on the server over the years, some professionals some not, but I imagine those people didn't all have the same ideas or perspectives on how the mission should be built. To add to that, it's hard to say what exactly causes the problems because from what I see they accumulated over time and got worse and worse. In my opinion, they should look at everything that has been changed since 6.0 or shortly after it. I'm sure they will find something in there. Aside from that Asylum needs a good framework update.

Edit: Just my opinion and observation from my time on here, I don't know SQF.

Edited by Steve
Nagidal and Sheriff Rick like this

If we had that answer our player cap would be higher ;/

Luckily Bada & Clint have taken over and i personally have already seen large steps and progress to making a more stable server. im hoping given time the new dev team will sort things out. (It hasn't even been a month since clint & bada got the keys)

I've done coding for various servers before, and I think a total rewrite of the mission is what is needed. I'm willing to bet that a lot of things in the past were added to the code to try and fix other problems, and it actually broke something else in the process. That's the bad thing about coding: you add one thing and it breaks 10 other things. Another thing to consider is updates from B. I. and their implications on the mission file. Bohemia Interactive very well could have updated a small behind-the-scenes mechanic that silently broke an element of the game file. And, remember that the mission file is years old at this point so many updates have been applied to the game since this server's release. But hey, what do I know? I'm not a developer so I could be completely wrong:)

Google™ and Russell* like this

Lots of poeple have already said it but, too many people when through the DB and files. leaveing stuff in there or placing stuff on top of it so the file has stuff that is not needed and is shitting on something. 

iirc Gnashes said one day that the files needed to be done from 0 again, but it was too much work and Bamf was busy with RL stuff to do it.