Why are servers so laggy now?

Just now, Chapo said:

But I mean how is this all actually recorded? It's legit? and is this literally all attacks or just a portion? 

Every second, Norse collects and analyzes live threat intelligence from darknets in hundreds of locations in over 40 countries. The attacks shown are based on a small subset of live flows against the Norse honeypot infrastructure, representing actual worldwide cyber attacks by bad actors. At a glance, one can see which countries are aggressors or targets at the moment, using which type of attacks (services-ports).

Hovering over the ATTACK ORIGINS, ATTACK TARGETS, or ATTACK TYPES will highlight just the attacks emanating from that country or over that service-port respectively. Hovering over any bubble on the map, will highlight only the attacks from that location and type.

Norse exposes its threat intelligence via high-performance, machine-readable APIs in a variety of forms. Norse also provides products and solutions that assist organizations in protecting and mitigating cyber attacks.

Sergio and Chapo like this
9 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Abzie how exactly does that Norse site work? That shit is interesting

To my understanding it is a honeypot, a trap. A honeypot is set up, intentionally, to attract attackers to hit them. They gather the data of people attacking these honeypots, and what you see on the map is just that.

Chapo and Sergio like this

The Norse thing is an unknown in the ddos world. Lots of people who work in network security think it's just a mockup. 

If you really want to know what is going on, you would need to talk to groups like Radware's Emergency Response Team or Palo Alto Networks Unit 42. 

That Norse app has floated around for years, but to my knowledge has never been validated to be anything other than a fancy webpage. 

Chapo, Sergio, Cre and 2 others like this
17 minutes ago, bamf said:

The Norse thing is an unknown in the ddos world. Lots of people who work in network security think it's just a mockup. 

If you really want to know what is going on, you would need to talk to groups like Radware's Emergency Response Team or Palo Alto Networks Unit 42. 

That Norse app has floated around for years, but to my knowledge has never been validated to be anything other than a fancy webpage. 

Can confirm. It's not taken as a reliable source within the industry. Radware4life

1 hour ago, Paratus said:

We've had quite a few DDoS attacks today but just to be sure, if you get a bad lag spike please let me know which server and the time it happened (also how long it lasted if possible). That'll help me double check with the DDoS logs, etc.

Ok, well after playing on 3, about 5 of us i know of would vouch the servers are unplayable. Gor Example, every thing was ob like a 7 second delay at times. 

Further, this has gotten worse and worse daily. Last week it was even better than since weve had a few network "improvement" updates.

Sergio likes this
2 minutes ago, Paratus said:

It's really seeming like ddos but it's tough to be sure. I've been playing on full servers and the lag seems quite fine except for a one or two second hiccup here and there. I've yet to experience anything like in that video. How common is it, exactly?

Pretty common sadly. 

I played for around 6 hours last night from around 3am-9am and severe desync such as that occurred at least 20+ times, it'll spike hard for around a minute or two and then go back to a less laggy, but still pretty horrible state.

4 minutes ago, Paratus said:

It's really seeming like ddos but it's tough to be sure. I've been playing on full servers and the lag seems quite fine except for a one or two second hiccup here and there. I've yet to experience anything like in that video. How common is it, exactly?

It's most noticable during combat.

https://gyazo.com/b446f77a98009fd73894f363fc19cdeb

Here's a good example of how lag is causing people to peek down behind cover then die. It makes cartel incredibly frustrating.

5 minutes ago, Boris said:

It's most noticable during combat.

https://gyazo.com/b446f77a98009fd73894f363fc19cdeb

Here's a good example of how lag is causing people to peek down behind cover then die. It makes cartel incredibly frustrating.

Can confirm this happens as well. 

Was at a prison and guys were spraying bullets while still crouched, they'd peak up but the server was so laggy that the animation didn't show so it was impossible to hit them 

Edited by epTic

20 minutes to restart on server 2 just now, the lag/desync was unbearable. People/cars flying through walls, getting shot by ghost bullets, people dying up to 10 seconds after they got shot. Literally just happened at the time of this comment. 

Edited by Inquisitor
On 1/22/2016 at 7:52 AM, Fluxah said:

but I do agree, the lag is horrible, every time I go to shoot somebody they fling forwards then back then all over the place so I'm sat tryna chase them to shoot them then end up dying, and even just driving is hard, cars fling back straight into you, half the time it ends up with my car blowing up, yesterday, and a bunch of ppl were there to see it, I pulled my Orca out, it instantly vanished, and was gone from my garage, still not there

About the orca thing that happened to me as well but I got comp.

16 hours ago, Paratus said:

We've had quite a few DDoS attacks today but just to be sure, if you get a bad lag spike please let me know which server and the time it happened (also how long it lasted if possible). That'll help me double check with the DDoS logs, etc.

Is there anything we can do as players? Like sorry if this is a stupid question - I don't know much about ddos, but is there something like a client side "blanket" that protects us individually from these attacks? Or would that be impossible? If so, why? (Just curious)

5 minutes ago, Tiefman said:

Is there anything we can do as players? Like sorry if this is a stupid question - I don't know much about ddos, but is there something like a client side "blanket" that protects us individually from these attacks? Or would that be impossible? If so, why? (Just curious)

I wish, but there is always the single point that can (and is) attacked - the server.  

2 hours ago, Tiefman said:

How exactly do you ddos arma? To ddos something you need the IP, iirc. Could you mask it or not give it out at all?

Sadly we need the IP to connect and communicate with the servers, which is what DDoS exploits. So no, we cannot.

It's also easy to do a traceroute and find the IP even if it was masked in game.

23 hours ago, Paratus said:

Just dealt with the server being so laggy at the prison break that nobody could hear the cops afterwards and they were able to run up our towers without us even seeing them walk through the gates.

I peeked a cop and put 4 rounds into his chest, laid back down and was downed 5 seconds after and then he died as well.  Combat was impossible, cars were teleporting down the roads.  People I killed were dying 5-10 seconds later.

Server 2,  ‎6:10pm PST

Edited by Ranger
kryptonthegamer and Sergio like this
1 hour ago, Ranger said:

Just dealt with the server being so laggy at the prison break that nobody could hear the cops afterwards and they were able to run up our towers without us even seeing them walk through the gates.

I peeked a cop and put 4 rounds into his chest, laid back down and was downed 5 seconds after and then he died as well.  Combat was impossible, cars were teleporting down the roads.  People I killed were dying 5-10 seconds later.

Server 2,  ‎6:10pm PST

Agreed