Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Official Shadow

Livonia Life: Proposal

Recommended Posts

Hello, before I start, I am aware that I will get hate for this suggestion; however, it does hold its merits.

As we have seen, Asylum has lost population over time for a number of reasons, mainly because arma itself is a dying game. This being said, Arma 3 Contact will revitalize the arma community to a point that we have not seen since Apex first released, and it should raise the population of Asylum servers, right? Not exactly. With this new release comes new content, mainly the release of Livonia, the new map. As players flow into arma for the first time in ages, they will want to check out the new map and new content, and not play old content that they have already extensively experienced, such as Aslyum’s altis life. Proof of this can be seen in the initial interest in Tanoa as Apex was first released, it will be the same thing. Because of this, I personally believe that regardless of V2, the Asylum community will actually suffer a lower population due to new players diving into Livonia and current players leaving to experience it as well. Obviously, developers have worked hard to bring us V2, and that is much appreciated and could also be applied to a Livonia server, but I fear that V2 will only help prevent current players from leaving and not bring many old players back. Asylum needs an eye-catching way to reel in players when Contact is first released, and the only way to do that is to create a Livonia server and make it really, really good. Obviously, Tanoa life failed due to exploits in the map’s size and the fact that there were four servers at the time, but those mistakes do not have to be repeated in Livonia. Personally, I would like to see Asylum thrive again, and the name recognition and population boost that would be generated by adding a Livonia server upon the release of contact would be unrivaled. The execution of the server would be relatively different given the tone of the map, so it would have to be done in a way that was slightly more survival-bent than the current life servers, but with the improvements of V2 coupled with the upcoming popularity of Livonia, I definitely think that it is a direction that Asylum should consider moving towards. Thank you for your time.

 

Edited by The Official Shadow

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, The Official Shadow said:

Hello, before I start, I am aware that I will get hate for this suggestion; however, it does hold its merits.

As we have seen, Asylum has lost population over time for a number of reasons, mainly because arma itself is a dying game. This being said, Arma 3 Contact will revitalize the arma community to a point that we have not seen since Apex first released, and it should raise the population of Asylum servers, right? Not exactly. With this new release comes new content, mainly the release of Livonia, the new map. As players flow into arma for the first time in ages, they will want to check out the new map and new content, and not play old content that they have already extensively experienced, such as Aslyum’s altis life. Proof of this can be seen in the initial interest in Tanoa as Apex was first released, it will be the same thing. Because of this, I personally believe that regardless of V2, the Asylum community will actually suffer a lower population due to new players diving into Livonia and current players leaving to experience it as well. Obviously, developers have worked hard to bring us V2, and that is much appreciated and could also be applied to a Livonia server, but I fear that V2 will only help prevent current players from leaving and not bring many old players back. Asylum needs an eye-catching way to reel in players when Contact is first released, and the only way to do that is to create a Livonia server and make it really, really good. Obviously, Tanoa life failed due to exploits in the map’s size and the fact that there were four servers at the time, but those mistakes do not have to be repeated in Livonia. Personally, I would like to see Asylum thrive again, and the name recognition and population boost that would be generated by adding a Livonia server upon the release of contact would be unrivaled. The execution of the server would be relatively different given the tone of the map, so it would have to be done in a way that was slightly more survival-bent than the current life servers, but with the improvements of V2 coupled with the upcoming popularity of Livonia, I definitely think that it is a direction that Asylum should consider moving towards. Thank you for your time.

 

Sorry to mess with any excitement you may have, but I honestly believe everyone will be quite disappointed with the map. It has virtually no new structures. The vast majority are recycled dayZ standalone assets.

It's basically going to be Chenarus Redux. Pretty lame if you ask me. If anyone tries to argue "Oh, well the colors will be different and make for a new stellar envrionment!"

Yeah, just put your Saturation to 200 or 150 and be amazed at how much beauty and color Arma 3 already has on Altis, Tanoa, and Malden.

My prediction is Livonia will change nothing, and will merely be a fun place to walk around for a few weeks maybe couple months. Altis is what the game was designed around, and modding takes it everywhere else people want to go including Original Chenarus. All the gaps and niches for maps have been filled. Livonia itself is nothing great, the assets and new gear/units is what the expansion is BIG hype for.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Dust Runner said:

Sorry to mess with any excitement you may have, but I honestly believe everyone will be quite disappointed with the map. It has virtually no new structures. The vast majority are recycled dayZ standalone assets.

It's basically going to be Chenarus Redux. Pretty lame if you ask me. If anyone tries to argue "Oh, well the colors will be different and make for a new stellar envrionment!"

Yeah, just put your Saturation to 200 or 150 and be amazed at how much beauty and color Arma 3 already has on Altis, Tanoa, and Malden.

My prediction is Livonia will change nothing, and will merely be a fun place to walk around for a few weeks maybe couple months. Altis is what the game was designed around, and modding takes it everywhere else people want to go including Original Chenarus. All the gaps and niches for maps have been filled. Livonia itself is nothing great, the assets and new gear/units is what the expansion is BIG hype for.

I would tend to agree, but the name recognition that Asylum would receive for people initially joining to play would help boost the popularity of altis servers as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Sean That Irish Guy said:

Liviona wont become the next life server map replacement. The layout and overall feel of it and more likened towards the modded community for the likes of exile, koth, survival and so on because of the cherno vibe the map gives off. 

I agree, but I think it would be interesting to have a life server that is more dystopian, maybe after a government collapse, to mix things up and become unique.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, The Official Shadow said:

I would tend to agree, but the name recognition that Asylum would receive for people initially joining to play would help boost the popularity of altis servers as well. 

Releasing a half asses product just for hype and to try and grab the attention of newcomers won't be worth the development time.

Either go all the way or don't. Honestly right now talking about new maps is literally the last thing I would care about if I was a dev. I'd be more concerned with the "doubling down" on V2. Essentially staking the community on this one massive QoL and server health update. My mind would be on that alone before I think about developing a new map.

Bandit likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Dust Runner said:

Releasing a half asses product just for hype and to try and grab the attention of newcomers won't be worth the development time.

Either go all the way or don't. Honestly right now talking about new maps is literally the last thing I would care about if I was a dev. I'd be more concerned with the "doubling down" on V2. Essentially staking the community on this one massive QoL and server health update. My mind would be on that alone before I think about developing a new map.

I agree that it should be second to successfully implementing V2; however, depending on the development time, it would certainly be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, The Official Shadow said:

I agree that it should be second to successfully implementing V2; however, depending on the development time, it would certainly be done.

It's an avenue to be explored. But truthfully V2 could be nothing. It could be community breaking. It could be 200% revitalization. It could bring in streamers for advertisement. It could do a lot if it's done well.

Right now suggestions shouldn't be going to far in the future, because too much could change in the next 2 weeks. Focus on current Altis Life and making sure bad things don't slip through the cracks, send bug reports, report useless things, suggest reworks for Big Crime Areas, suggest reworks for talents. Because every opinion and good idea could get implemented and help make V2 that much better so that everyone on Asylum can have their best version of their game back.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Sean That Irish Guy said:

Liviona wont become the next life server map replacement. The layout and overall feel of it are more likened towards the modded community for the likes of exile, koth, survival mods and so on because of the cherno vibe the map gives off. 

 

2 hours ago, Gen. Henry Arnold said:

Map is also locked to DLC owners only

Both of these are the exact reasons why it wouldn’t work.

Its not very community friendly by being locked and it is also definitely more of a dayZ/koth/wasteland style map

Share this post


Link to post

I believe this is a great idea. IMO content content content is the way to go. More content = more money. ALSO have one of your badmins make youtube videos for asylum weekly. Even if you have to fake the content, just put that shit out there so people will want to play. The only way i found Altis Life was because of Frankie. After finding frankie i found some smaller streamers and was like 'holy shit that's cool'. 

The idea will get shot down though because the admins and owners are lazy or just don't have time(don't kill me clit yeastbad and Jessica)

Nic Rage likes this

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/8/2019 at 5:15 PM, Henry Facesmasher said:

I believe this is a great idea. IMO content content content is the way to go. More content = more money. ALSO have one of your badmins make youtube videos for asylum weekly. Even if you have to fake the content, just put that shit out there so people will want to play. The only way i found Altis Life was because of Frankie. After finding frankie i found some smaller streamers and was like 'holy shit that's cool'. 

The idea will get shot down though because the admins and owners are lazy or just don't have time(don't kill me clit yeastbad and Jessica)

Exactly. Publicity is key.

Share this post


Link to post

The unfortunate truth is its locked to DLC owners only.  This knocks out about 90% of new players that only own vanilla Arma.  

 

The last time we did this with Tanoa, it had staying power for about maybe 2 months, after that it was just the AFK money maker.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Clint Beastwood said:

The unfortunate truth is its locked to DLC owners only.  This knocks out about 90% of new players that only own vanilla Arma.  

 

The last time we did this with Tanoa, it had staying power for about maybe 2 months, after that it was just the AFK money maker.

First 2 months it was great, full sever most of the time. It went downhill imo because of the mechanics and the unfriendly terrain/lack of content and things to do.. 

 

Clint Beastwood likes this

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Henry Facesmasher said:

First 2 months it was great, full sever most of the time. It went downhill imo because of the mechanics and the unfriendly terrain/lack of content and things to do.. 

 

I agree first two months also had tons of admin events.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...