Setup Wars?

Was just curious if anyone has ever done a setup wars on Asylum before? (Computer Setup Competition)

If not we could maybe have one and the winner gets some Asylum money? Maybe if anyone wants to host the event with me we can have one.

:lol:

(No Haterino Pl0x)

it wouldn't even take an admin to bring back gang life, give a reason for gangs to get more organised and actually have incentive to play and get better, getting prizes for the season rankings would be great, can't the admins remember how many people were racing for the new titles?

All it would take it someone with a shit ton of money sat there left over from an old gang to host something

cough*bikstok

RAFAY likes this
2 minutes ago, Smee said:

there has been, but rebel life is dead and not only servers are constantly getting ddos. so there is no point hosting until they get better

ofcourse there is a reason to host something, you just said it yourself rebel life is dead, anything that would spark a little bit of life back into rebel is worth it

Perhaps instead of making a tournament, daily / weekly times could be given where gangs would get on and fight. For example 8pm GMT, if the gang leaders would spread this then people would hop on at 8pm for a fight, instead of waiting all day for another gang to get on. Tournaments are fun I agree, but I don't think it's really what we need to revitalize gang life right now.

4 minutes ago, Alec-I said:

Perhaps instead of making a tournament, daily / weekly times could be given where gangs would get on and fight. For example 8pm GMT, if the gang leaders would spread this then people would hop on at 8pm for a fight, instead of waiting all day for another gang to get on. Tournaments are fun I agree, but I don't think it's really what we need to revitalize gang life right now.

When ever a big gang fights who ever attack gets shot in the back from synergy.

Edited by Tye
Frizzy likes this
Just now, Tye said:

When ever a big gang fights who ever attack gets shot in the back from synergy.

when I was back in RO I used to fight FSA a lot, and grippy had this new idea of sitting on the island and shooting us with a 50. cal, fucked us so hard time and time again, eventually we learned to shoot and counter this every time by putting a diver over there till they stopped doing it. the moral of this small anecdote is to god damn do something about it if you don't like it.

Well this thread has confirmed a long-held suspicion about how many people actually read posts carefully. 

It's been most illuminating everyone. Thank you hahahaha. 

As for the OP's original suggestion, before the whole forum debacle in December, there was a gaming rig mega thread. Don't think there has ever been a competition. 

Regarding the hijacked topic, organized gang wars never seem to go well. As some of you may know, I was highly involved with the most recent series and I found that the same issues showed up every time. They showed up during the first organized gang competition and every one since.

A) Salt. People get upset about losing and start making the whole thing really unpleasant, people rage and demand rematches, allege cheating/metagaming, start making excuses about timezones, absent participants etc. While a little bit of this is inevitable, when it becomes widespread it can really sour the environment. 

B ) Logistical difficulties. Due to the size of the community, it's really difficult to get everyone who wants to participate in the same place, at the same time. Getting people geared up is a nightmare. Everyone has their own specific preferences and even with scripting tools, it is still a big hassle. This doesn't even begin to address the difficulties in broadcasting the event for the community. Arma's spectator tools are pretty garbage and it has made every major community event difficult to stream in a way that's interesting for people to watch. 

C) Dishonesty and poor sportsmanship. Last round of gang wars, the overwhelming majority of participants were honest and showed good sportsmanship, but there also a number of people who tried to exploit the way the contest was set up to abuse compensation, claim prizes that they hadn't earned, or otherwise obtain an unfair advantage. Then there were also people who just plain acted like assholes. These aren't intrinsic issues with organized wars themselves, so much as they are a detriment to people's desire to conduct, sponsor, and participate in them. 

D) Difficulty in standardizing the events. You do classic cartels and everyone complains that it's boring. You do completely random locations and people complain that they don't know the locations. No one has come up with a good middle ground yet. Something that tests player skill rather than luck, but still remains fresh and exciting and doesn't allow people to rely on existing strats. 

In closing, organized gang wars are tricky business. I think it would be awesome if the rebel community could come together, plan something out, agree to everything in advance, agree to a standard of sportsmanship, and then get an admin or two to sponsor the event. Really do it in a way that's by the community, for the community.

All that being said, I don't think that organized wars are the salvation of rebel gameplay. I think that gang life is going to require a radical shift (likely away from cartels as the currently exist) in gameplay and some better incentives to fight if it's to return to its halcyon days. But hey, those are just my two cents. 

TL;DR: Thread hijacked. 

image.jpg?w=647&h=365

JAY1HP, Bama, Mako and 3 others like this
27 minutes ago, Buckwalter said:

Well this thread has confirmed a long-held suspicion about how many people actually read posts carefully. 

As for the OP's original suggestion, before the whole forum debacle in December, there was a gaming rig mega thread. Don't think there has ever been a competition. 

Regarding the hijacked topic, organized gang wars never seem to go well. As some of you may know, I was highly involved with the most recent series and I found that the same issues showed up every time. They showed up during the first organized gang competition and every one since.

A) Salt. People get upset about losing and start making the whole thing really unpleasant, people rage and demand rematches, allege cheating/metagaming, start making excuses about timezones, absent participants etc. While a little bit of this is inevitable, when it becomes widespread it can really sour the environment. 

B ) Logistical difficulties. Due to the size of the community, it's really difficult to get everyone who wants to participate in the same place, at the same time. Getting people geared up is a nightmare. Everyone has their own specific preferences and even with scripting tools, it is still a big hassle. This doesn't even begin to address the difficulties in broadcasting the event for the community. Arma's spectator tools are pretty garbage and it has made every major community event difficult to stream in a way that's interesting for people to watch. 

C) Dishonesty and poor sportsmanship. Last round of gang wars, the overwhelming majority of participants were honest and showed good sportsmanship, but there also a number of people who tried to exploit the way the contest was set up to abuse compensation, claim prizes that they hadn't earned, or otherwise obtain an unfair advantage. Then there were also people who just plain acted like assholes. These aren't intrinsic issues with organized wars themselves, so much as they are a detriment to people's desire to conduct, sponsor, and participate in them. 

D) Difficulty in standardizing the events. You do classic cartels and everyone complains that it's boring. You do completely random locations and people complain that they don't know the locations. No one has come up with a good middle ground yet. Something that tests player skill rather than luck, but still remains fresh and exciting and doesn't allow people to rely on existing strats. 

In closing, organized gang wars are tricky business. I think it would be awesome if the rebel community could come together, plan something out, agree to everything in advance, agree to a standard of sportsmanship, and then get an admin or two to sponsor the event. Really do it in a way that's by the community, for the community.

All that being said, I don't think that organized wars are the salvation of rebel gameplay. I think that gang life is going to require a radical shift (likely away from cartels as the currently exist) in gameplay and some better incentives to fight if it's to return to its halcyon days. But hey, those are just my two cents. 

image.jpg?w=647&h=365

You spent too much time writing this :kappa:

Edited by Ren Zero
3 hours ago, Buckwalter said:

image.jpg?w=647&h=365

Another piece of insightful knowledge.

Just goes to show you that you can't keep everyone happy. From my experience it's not even a special group's fault. It's just you get such a large group of players with different ideas on how cartels should be played and what gear is acceptable (IE: Some gangs moaning about Grenades, 50. Cals, Suicide vests, ifrits, orcas). In the end it's tough to balance what everyone wants between what everyone else thinks they need. Some consider piloting an art and take great pride in maneuvering an orca to land and drop units. Others think it's too tanky or are annoyed with spotting from the skies. Same goes with the rest too. Grenades and suicide vests take no skill or whatever some might say.

It's really down to the admin's patience at this point. Cause from where I'm sitting and seeing the way events have gone in the past I don't think it's worth doing another competition with admin powers at least. It's completely within the power of most gangs to host something like this and payout prizes on their own and restrict weaponry or no prize.

I personally think these events are great when the community lets them be so. However, the fate of competitive gangs is in the hands of the community as a whole. Events even on a weeky basis at best won't breathe new life to competitive asylum.

Buckwalter likes this
7 hours ago, Jimbo! said:

it wouldn't even take an admin to bring back gang life, give a reason for gangs to get more organised and actually have incentive to play and get better, getting prizes for the season rankings would be great, can't the admins remember how many people were racing for the new titles?

All it would take it someone with a shit ton of money sat there left over from an old gang to host something

cough*bikstok

As much as I actively dislike you, this is a very good point. Maybe do combined gang ratings and they get funds for being at the top for a certain amount of days and maybe add some new cartels, oil cartel is such an interesting idea but the whole point of gearing up, getting an sdar is very tedious

6 hours ago, Buckwalter said:

All you have to do is remind Devran to hide Steam Bootstrapper in OBS next time. 

:kappa: 

And you know.... Not stream it. 

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

As much as I actively dislike you, this is a very good point. Maybe do combined gang ratings and they get funds for being at the top for a certain amount of days and maybe add some new cartels, oil cartel is such an interesting idea but the whole point of gearing up, getting an sdar is very tedious

Wasn't the whole aim of the feature was to be developed into something like this where gang averages will be put into a leader board system, resets on seasonal basis etc.. etc... Again amazing idea by @Paratus but it's just been forgotten about and hasn't had any updates, similar to a lot of things that get added to Asylum. So much potential, but no follow through.

Edited by Haych
Isaac and Tye like this