Info for everyone for generic Game downloading / connection problems - Solved my issues after months

So This may or may not help anyone but in the case it does I am going to post a wall of text that should help a lot of people. Im sure all of you know most of this since

most of the people in this community are extremely savy in general.

my Problem:

I have been trying for fucking weeks to solve connection issues to Arma3Sync ftp repositories, NAT TYPE problems , and generic connecting to friends who live in the same state.

my Fixes:

- Connections / Port forwarding fixes:

I had port forwarded my router, firewall, router firewall, anti virus, and even went through a list of ports for the games / exceptions / admin. None of it worked.

Turns out all this time my FUCKING MODEM wasn't in full bridge mode. It was in partial when I had set it up years back and had a problem and got a new one that was supposedly already set for me. The reason I didn't know is because there online login for the modem gives you just a bridge or no bridge option. 

What this basically means is that the modem sits there spitting out a wifi + has a firewall and still acts like its trying to be a 2  in 1 router/modem rather then utilizing your router.

So if you are having connection problems and you have already gone through your firewall + anti virus + generic program and router solving things - check the modem and modem firewall.

-NAT TYPE FIXES:

So im sure everyone and there brother at this point has changed the NAT TYPE for an xbox or something and its always easy its either secure or open. The problem I had was that not only

did my router have something that was interfering with NAT - but the modem did too. That was why even though I had gone from Strict NAT -> To Moderate NAT after opening it on my router, I had to go to my modem and either disable the firewall or change it for this. The NAT type is now open. Even with Moderate I couldn't join people that were located a few "Hops" away from my router in the same state. Again this is super simple and you can look it up but its literally the act of logging into your router at 192.168.1.1 or w.e your router login is and finding the setting to switch to "open". If you still have issues or so then its either your personal firewall / anti virus or your modem like my problem.

-Generic thing to know - Unless you actually go into  your windows exceptions your windows defender is still enabled even if you disable it. You actually have to set a specifc setting in a drop down UI menu that will "enable" the disabling of it. As weird as that sounds.

-Port Forwarding - Im sure most of you know how to port forward but if you dont, you should be logging into your router - something like 192.168.1.1 or you can google it. The reason why i wanted to speak about this is that if your modem isn't properly bridged your port forwarding wont work - or if your router has a fucked up firewall / modem firewall. As for the actual port forwarding its a simple as a guide would tell you in that you just enter a name for the rule / ports to open / IP to open it for (Your IP not the routers).

-Always run as admin -  You can right click a program and set it to auto run as admin all the time.

-Setting Bridge Mode - Most of the time you can easily log into your modem usually something like 10.0.0.1 depending on your provider and here you can change settings for your modem. The thing you should be clear here is that if you set to bridge mode you need to have your router off and then reboot the gateway(modem). The reason being is that it will refresh the modem and make sure the wifi is now turnt off(feature of bridging uses the router wifi) and it will now be a bridge device. From here your ROUTER NEEDS to turn on to seeing one device as a bridge and only one. If not you will run into issues where you have partial internet like your google chrome sites but cant log into games or steam. Please turn it off and turn it back on once the gateway reboots. Its much easier just to call your provider and have them not only set it but reboot it.

-Setting the modem firewall off- My modem doesn't allow me to turn it off through there login. In the past it has but recently I can't find the option - however a quick phone call they were able to turn it off. Turning it into FULL BRIDGE MODE should solve this issue but just in case it doesn't I wanted to give you the info.

Notes:

- CMD prompt port opening - Note you can do this and its pretty simple but you should do it on your own so you can name the rules according to what you do.

- Make sure you turn your Router Firewall back on because a lot of the games and mods now a days really get some scary amount of access to things.

- Turning your Anti Virus off doesn't always really turn it off. Just putting that out there for the record.

- There are sites to verify your port forwarding to see if it has worked or if it was something else.  This helped me narrow it down to being an issue with port forwarding which I know I did right. These are the two sites I used. (first one is canyouseeme , second one is Shields up!)

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

Again If this doesn't help you or if it sounds retarded im sorry. Ive been pulling my hair out and I just wanted to give the info if anyone had similar problems.

Edited by Sugarfoot
JAY1HP, Steve, George and 2 others like this