This is so far off topic, I am sorry.

Mitch (IFRIT)

Hey guys, I'm curious if anyone here has/ had livestock at home. I'm looking to see of anyone has ever had any experience housing goats and a donkey together. I somehow managed to agree to take some kids off a neighbors hand so he had bred a pair and now the female is pregnant...... to late to back out now. without redoing my entire farm setup. I'll need to house them with the donkey but I have no idea if they will end up killing one another.... any information would be greatly appreciated. 

My roommate actually owns many different livestock. I live with sheep, cows, and plenty of others in my back yard.  Not my cup of tea, but I did ask him. He said he would not recommend mixing the two as the donkeys have a chance become aggressive toward the goats and vis versa.  Same barn or housing is fine;  however section off each animal securely so they aren't interacting directly. 

Gubber Flexx likes this
Just now, Narnia said:

My roommate actually owns many different livestock. I live with sheep, cows, and plenty of others in my back yard.  Not my cup of tea, but I did ask him. He said he would not recommend mixing the two as the donkeys have a chance become aggressive toward the goats and vis versa.  Same barn or housing is fine;  however section off each animal securely so they aren't interacting directly. 

Thank you. I did my fair share of Google but found nothing conclusive. I had read both sides and still was not convinced. thanks for asking him. I'll just put the donkey in with the horses I suppose. 

47 minutes ago, Heidelberg said:

Fair enough questions, but in all honesty, without being rude, do you expect any help here?

I did have my reservations about asking here. but this is the only place I can reach potentially 11k people. though there are many young and immature players... there are many professional hard working people amongst us. 

Heidelberg and Gubber Flexx like this
1 hour ago, (IFRIT)Mitch said:

Hey guys, I'm curious if anyone here has/ had livestock at home. I'm looking to see of anyone has ever had any experience housing goats and a donkey together. I somehow managed to agree to take some kids off a neighbors hand so he had bred a pair and now the female is pregnant...... to late to back out now. without redoing my entire farm setup. I'll need to house them with the donkey but I have no idea if they will end up killing one another.... any information would be greatly appreciated. 

So I've tried this is the past and it was fine up until the donkey tried to mate with everything and I had to kill the donkey. If you were thinking of doing this just watch the behavior of the donkey and if you notice aggression move them a part and keep the donkey out of eye sight of other animals till he calms down.

6 minutes ago, (IFRIT)Mitch said:

I did have my reservations about asking here. but this is the only place I can reach potentially 11k people. though there are many young and immature players... there are many professional hard working people amongst us. 

I mean you're talking to iFox and even I have a straight answer. If I can give a legit answer, I think others can too. 

1 hour ago, (IFRIT)Mitch said:

I'm looking to see of anyone has ever had any experience housing goats and a donkey together. 

To be safe, I'd say do not house them together. 

At my home, we have currently 4 goats and 18 donkeys. Originally, we had the goats in a large enclosure as part of the field the donkeys roam in (it was about an acre compared to the 30+ the donkeys have). We would often see our male donkey ramming into the fence, kicking through the fence, and attempting to push down parts of the wire mesh along the top with his neck. Peculiarly enough, he was clearly aroused while doing this, so we are unsure if he was aiming to get at our male goat or the three females. Either way, after he had pulled down the wire around the enclosure, one of the goats (female) hopped out. She was completely unharmed by any of our other livestock in the field throughout the 5-6 hours she was out. Because she was unharmed, we think that the behavior seen by the male donkey earlier could've just been some sort of aggression/stress relief and the pen was something malleable to hit and push on. However, she could've just been a lucky fluke.

Edited by varex
6 hours ago, Trilligy said:

So I've tried this is the past and it was fine up until the donkey tried to mate with everything and I had to kill the donkey. If you were thinking of doing this just watch the behavior of the donkey and if you notice aggression move them a part and keep the donkey out of eye sight of other animals till he calms down.

6 hours ago, varex said:

To be safe, I'd say do not house them together. 

At my home, we have currently 4 goats and 18 donkeys. Originally, we had the goats in a large enclosure as part of the field the donkeys roam in (it was about an acre compared to the 30+ the donkeys have). We would often see our male donkey ramming into the fence, kicking through the fence, and attempting to push down parts of the wire mesh along the top with his neck. Peculiarly enough, he was clearly aroused while doing this, so we are unsure if he was aiming to get at our male goat or the three females. Either way, after he had pulled down the wire around the enclosure, one of the goats (female) hopped out. She was completely unharmed by any of our other livestock in the field throughout the 5-6 hours she was out. Because she was unharmed, we think that the behavior seen by the male donkey earlier could've just been some sort of aggression/stress relief and the pen was something malleable to hit and push on. However, she could've just been a lucky fluke.

I really appreciate the feedback guys. I'm going to house the donkey with the horses and see how that goes. I have a few ranch horses in the herd and I'm thinking they'll keep the donkey in check. the only reason this was not the first option is because I'm worried that during the winter he (the donkey) won't have enough access to the hay. but I'm thinking I'll create a separate feeder for him and it should all be well. 

16 hours ago, (IFRIT)Mitch said:

I really appreciate the feedback guys. I'm going to house the donkey with the horses and see how that goes. I have a few ranch horses in the herd and I'm thinking they'll keep the donkey in check. the only reason this was not the first option is because I'm worried that during the winter he (the donkey) won't have enough access to the hay. but I'm thinking I'll create a separate feeder for him and it should all be well. 

That sounds like a good idea. We have two old riding horses in the field with our donkeys and they are definitely the dominant ones despite being 20 and 23 years old. :P We were afraid they'd mate, but the mares don't even let the donkeys near them.

Best of luck with the goats!

Mitch (IFRIT) likes this