3rd Person vs. 1st Person?

JasonP

So, the same discussion was sparked on a previous community and the admins actually forced first person on the server for 1 week, and held a voting after.

(Third person was only enabled for drivers and pilots in vehicles, all passengers where still in first)

I played for that week, and I must say, third person may seem very appealing at first, but after a while, you realise the game was not designed to be played that way. Even with a high fov and headbob turned down to 0, you still get very horrible motion sickness. Obviously this will strike an argument, but believe me, don't start talking shit if you haven't actually played forced first person Altis Life before.

In combat its fine and works the way it should. Suppression actually works, having the high ground gives you a much larger advantage and defending is basically impossible; attackers will win most of the time. Combat feels real, its more immersive and actually feels good, being in first person in the back of a Orca while receiving shots from god knows where is a amazing experience, however, it gets boring after a couple of days, believe me.

Playing first person Altis Life was fun for say 2 days, then it just got annoying, it became a inconvenience, people started to get annoyed and thats why when the voting was held, 70% of the community was in favour of returning to normal. If you're into Tactical realism, its amazing, however its simply not suited for Altis Life. 

Edited by Haych
Feenix, Bersabee, /|/|0T4RD and 3 others like this

I would love if first person was forced when outside of vehicles!

There are some times when on cop I do first person patrol; however, it's not really possible on civ. I would love to use first person on civ, but it leaves me at a disadvantage as most others use third, especially in combat.

Edited by Outlander
Papa Vinny and JasonP like this

I personally lean more towards 1st person infantry, but 3rd person vehicles. For me personally it's more immersive. It's also more of an acquired taste. If you watched the video he says people lean more toward 3rd person because it's a comfort zone thing. Knowing you can see the enemy without putting yourself in harm's way is safe and satisfying. 3rd person peeking can make an entire group of guys defending an objective unstoppable. They can see the enemy without exposing themselves, but the enemy has no way of finding out until they're already dead. I don't think it's cheap, I'm not insulting 3rd person players at all. I personally would enjoy it more though in 1st. But unfortunately Asylum would lose a lot of players if they went to 1st only. 3rd offers more casual gameplay. 1st is for the hardcore players. I only play first person in single player and tactical realism. But if I'm in Altis life I really have no choice. I'd be putting myself at an enormous disadvantage.

Das Otter and Papa Vinny like this

For obvious reasons, 3rd person is better in CQB when allowed. It's pretty dumb to go into 1st when everyone else can do 3rd...it's like playing CS:GO with an Xbox controller.

I'd personally like to see more 1st person servers, but I perfectly understand that if people aren't allowed to play peek-vs-peek, they'll just end up hiding and camping fortifications and fights won't improve as much as everyone would hope. 

Edited by Kowalski
  • 6 months later...

I personally like first person a lot, I'm always in it and have never experienced motion sickness. I'm sure it's something you have to get used to, I'd compare it to getting used to motion sickness on a boat for your first time. Though, I think a limited third person view on foot would be fair. If you ever played on Project Roleplay you'd know what I am talking about. It still allows you to look around corners without exposing yourself, but you can't really look up and over obstacles(stone fence) and you have to be very close to the corner. This would probably require a mod though.

Edited by Papa Vinny

I'm more fan of first person more realistic, I understand why some games have third person.

But then we get to the point of arma, Arma was designed as a realistic shooter, So why add third person to it?  

People like the Thirdperson, Minimap, Crosshair ect, They can't play without it, They never experienced otherwise

Buddy of mine never wanted to play hardcore on battlefield, He needed he's minimap ect. 

JasonP likes this
2 hours ago, ImJustMaikey said:

I'm more fan of first person more realistic, I understand why some games have third person.

But then we get to the point of arma, Arma was designed as a realistic shooter, So why add third person to it?  

People like the Thirdperson, Minimap, Crosshair ect, They can't play without it, They never experienced otherwise

Buddy of mine never wanted to play hardcore on battlefield, He needed he's minimap ect. 

I love playing Arma 3 when it's only first person enabled, and no crosshairs. That's what makes Arma 3 so great, is the realism. People get used to the comfort of third person and then can't play first person really well. I can guarantee though that if you took away third person some of the best shooters on Altis life servers wouldn't do all that well. Most of these montages you see on here are almost 100% 3rd person peaking with non-adaptive crosshairs. Third person for me just takes away a whole aspect of the game, which is the realism. Seeing around and over obstacles with no risk for reward aspect irritates me. But to each their own.

I never understood the, "I don't like first person" complaint for Arma 3, when a lot of the people who play Arma 3 play a lot of first person only shooters. What's the difference?

I was just talking about this last night to other asylum players on ts. I think first person combat and third person vehicles would be an amazing combination for Altis Life and it would be more realistic. Plus all the corner peeking that happens in combat would be gone so people would have to rely more on sound and team callouts. I've played a lot of first person HC infantry KOTH and it is very fun.

That said, third person is still favored by the majority, even in KOTH so I'd say the best compromise would be a brand new server that offers forced first person and third person vehicles for those that enjoy it more than pure third person. I know that's the server I'd switch to immediately if it were the case.

4 hours ago, JasonP said:

I never understood the, "I don't like first person" complaint for Arma 3, when a lot of the people who play Arma 3 play a lot of first person only shooters. What's the difference?

Because in altis life and most koth servers, they've become dependent on wall peeking to get kills. It's unfortunate that Bohemia even enabled 3rd person in the first place. But it is what it is and we have to accept that because most ARMA players do favor 3rd person now. I bet there are enough of us that like first person to populate a server if Asylum put one up but I doubt that will ever happen.

Edited by Hanzo/Dirty Scrubz

When I first started playing, I was determined to stay in first person all the time. Eventually I realized it was a huge disadvantage. Adapted and came to rely on the crutches 3rd person provides. 

Eventually Jin dragged me into a 1st person only KOTH server and that was pretty much all I played afterwards.

The combat is far better, the immersion and excitement are better.

Sadly, the vehicles are awful in 1st person.

Would be nice to see on Asylum, but people would never go for it and I'd rather have full servers than empty 1st person ones. People like their advantages, just look at the reliance on tilde, cross hair, livemarks, redboxing, command mode, and any other weird extraneous feature that could be used to get the upper hand. People like winning, it's a bummer that sometimes this ends up cheapening the gameplay. But again, full servers > empty 1st person servers. 

1st person is the way it should be! So much more immersive but I do not use it in combat (unless some type of hardcore server) 

You will lose to people using 3rd person especially in Asylum so I would recommend not using 1st person in a combat scenario for ARMA3 unless your in a hardcore server of course.

However you can buy squad and that's a fun game, 1st person only and the combat is super immersive

I'm for having an extra server that consists of only first person, or some sort of event that forces us to use it for a period of time.
A simulator game (or role-playing game-type)  should be as immersive as possible, although we generally,  already have a shit-ton of people who are uneducated about the rules; and therefore kill a lot of immersion as it is already. I, myself would like to see a new trial and feedback regarding this, I'm sure not everyone will like it because they HAVE to get used to it and it disadvantaging their current choice on perspective. Most irritations can be fixed within graphics settings (motion blur, bloom, head bob, etc), other opinions I'd say are out of pure subjectivity.
I mean isn't a role-playing game-type supposed to put you in an immersive spot, and make you feel like you're actually in the game? (Not implying it has to be in first person perspective to be a RPG) 
I use first person on most occasions, until it comes to combat and high speed driving.
The guy (in the video) was right, I use it as a clutch for safety over sorriness; when I know I'm assured safety I'm in first person. 

I'm sure enforcing this or trying to push it in some way would influence the decisions of others generally (Robbing, resisting, resource gathering and processing, etc.)  more heavily and perpetuate a less toxic environment.
But with that sacrifice, it could ultimately diminish the activity of the Asylum Servers, as much as I am for this idea; overall the majority are just 
used to playing in third person. 

Edited by Obasi