Smart individuals join the APD

Just now, Sheriff Rick Grimes said:

He was a good captain all around.  He had some serious favoritism issues and he had it out for gangs at a unprofessional level.  Other than those two flaws, he was a pretty good captain.  Things did run well in the APD during that time.

I mean, at least he stayed online while being kidnapped. 

Those tactical "crashes" will get you every time. 

Sheriff Rick Grimes likes this
16 minutes ago, epTic said:

I mean...he's not wrong. 

The times I play you'll have 5ish cops online, so we'll naturally group up so we can defend ourselves and respond to situations more rapidly and with more force. Many times we're told to split up by higher ups who then go back to hiding in their locked channels. 

I understand if you have 10 cops in a a channel, but 5? C'mon man. 

I agree hes right, but the cop higher ups are Salty af

Reformed epTic likes this
Just now, Murmurs said:

Why is that? Just because we have the rank doesn't mean we agree with or oblivious to APD issues. I think majority of higher ups will agree with promotion issues. This has been an ongoing, reoccurring problem for years now.

The majority of higher ups in the past have attacked anything pro-change in regards to higherups/policies 

M0T4RD likes this
4 minutes ago, Kryptonn said:

The majority of higher ups in the past have attacked anything pro-change in regards to higherups/policies 

That's all I've ever seen. This is actually the first time I've ever seen higher ups actively engage in a conversation like this stating their personal opinions and not give a generalized bullshit just go make an IA report answer.

3 minutes ago, Murmurs said:

Either that or just laid silent for fear of retaliation. 

None of them should have to feel afraid of what others are going to think or say about or against them. None of them should have to feel afraid of getting points or having their rank taken. It's a video game and some people take it too serious. You just can't get 100% professionalism out of people who are doing something to have fun. If you're not aimlessly going around being messy and talking shit about other higher ups and doing things to make the APD look bad who cares what you say. Not everything the higher ups do reflect upon the APD all the time everyone understands at this point that alot of things the higher ups do reflects upon who they are as a person and not what Captain Ed or something Captain Durga implemented a long ass time ago. It reflects upon that person for the most part.

Edited by M0T4RD
2 minutes ago, M0T4RD said:

None of them should have to feel afraid of what others are going to think or say about or against them. None of them should have to feel afraid of getting points or having their rank taken. It's a video game and some people take it too serious. You just can't get 100% professionalism out of people who are doing something to have fun.

Exactly my thoughts.

It's been sucking up contest, and still is and most likely will still be for a long time. The issues will keep being there until people will stop taking their personal vendetta against people during promotion time. (Ogh this 1 time, he said something to me on civ or not even in-game, I'm gonna vote no against him now because I hate him).There was problems, there are problems and there will be problems with the APD.

Just now, Pentax said:

It's been sucking up contest, and still is and most likely will still be for a long time. The issues will keep being there until people will stop taking their personal vendetta against people during promotion time. (Ogh this 1 time, he said something to me on civ or not even in-game, I'm gonna vote no against him now because I hate him).There was problems, there are problems and there will be problems with the APD.

Truth

The only reason I'd ever want Corporal is to help my Precinct which has had low to no higher-up support. However, I'm not going to hop servers to lick boots for a promotion. On top of that the recent flood of new Constables has been a complete plague on the APD force. I'm taking a break from cop life because I don't like how some ill-trained Constables are conducting themselves. 

I'll be blunt, the APD is easy to get in yet really hard to get kicked out. Unless you completely mess up big time, you'll just get little slap on the wrist. At the same time I've seen higher ups over-react to little things which don't need a 20 min lecture. So I'm just waiting for things to sort themselves out, but until then I find it hard to enjoy being on duty while being surrounded by silliness. 

Sorry I'm late to party, but those are my two cents.

4 hours ago, M0T4RD said:

None of them should have to feel afraid of what others are going to think or say about or against them. None of them should have to feel afraid of getting points or having their rank taken. It's a video game and some people take it too serious. You just can't get 100% professionalism out of people who are doing something to have fun. If you're not aimlessly going around being messy and talking shit about other higher ups and doing things to make the APD look bad who cares what you say. Not everything the higher ups do reflect upon the APD all the time everyone understands at this point that alot of things the higher ups do reflects upon who they are as a person and not what Captain Ed or something Captain Durga implemented a long ass time ago. It reflects upon that person for the most part.

Oh I know, I was just stating what I perceived from others. I've accepted I probably will never get Lt. Because I've collectively spent about 20min since I was promoted to Sgt in June, chit chatting in support and mingling with people.  I devote all my free time to being in game and supporting my precinct/officers.  Some will say "Well if no one knows who you are, you can't expect to get promo."  I say screw that, I go out of my way to observe constable candidates for corp promo, why does it stop there.  

kryptonthegamer likes this
2 hours ago, Pentax said:

Truth, I can think of at least one example where a good corporal was removed because of his civ reputation. Also there's the skype screenshots of captain removing lts/sgts because they voiced their opinions. 

kryptonthegamer likes this
19 minutes ago, Murmurs said:

Oh I know, I was just stating what I perceived from others. I've accepted I probably will never get Lt. Because I've collectively spent about 20min since I was promoted to Sgt in June, chit chatting in support and mingling with people.  I devote all my free time to being in game and supporting my precinct/officers.  Some will say "Well if no one knows who you are, you can't expect to get promo."  I say screw that, I go out of my way to observe constable candidates for corp promo, why does it stop there.  

in game is way more important to a GAME....which is what this is

+1? IDK. im just happy that this didn't turn into a shit throwing contest yet, seems to be OK discussion going down. There are a lot of things that need changed unfortunately, it seems that things have just been snowballing downhill and only become worse during promotion cycles. The current state of the APD really is sad to look at and as someone who absolutely loved playing cop it has been hard to watch. +1 for change and freedom and all the glorious things!

rngr likes this
10 hours ago, Kryptonn said:

Its a discussion, and a complaint. But i dont Want it controlled by other officers in the APD section, id like everyones input. Thd point is, we need smart people. The APD and their bias prevents good players from ranking up. You want RP?? Do you realize how easy RP Is if you simply aren't socially akward? Some of the greatest players can RP(Buhbye/Fred), but where's the desire to do so? If I felt a desire and benefit from RP, i'd do it more. Playing the game and being good is hard, RPing takes ZERO effort, so why are people being promoted for using ZERO effort? If some of us officers got rank-ups we'd have a motive to go all out rping  but currently there is none. Thats why when senior constables around, the APD had an inherent respect you could just sense.

As a former Lt, I'd like to address some of these points. But keep in mind, I stepped down like 9 months ago, so things could be different now.  

First and foremost, the APD isn't perfect, there are problems and inefficiencies that could be improved upon. That is a concession I'll readily make. 

Now onto specifics, there seems to be a misconception that good players are passed over and RPers are shown preference. That's a false dichotomy, good players can roleplay and RPers can be good. But the assumption that roleplay ability is the only desirable trait is overly simplistic. RP ability is subjective so aside from the amorphous descriptors of good or bad it can't really be nailed down and thus can't be taken into account too heavily when considering promotions. It's great, but it's not the only consideration.

I'd contend that understanding and adhering to the rules is the characteristic that is most important. Higher-ups do much more than leading in game, their primary duties are administrative within the APD. Going over applications, performing interviews and ridealongs, answering questions and handling disciplinary action. So you can see why their ability to get headshots or be great strategists come secondary to their demeanor, interpersonal skills and reliability. 

As for the specific need for skilled players in the APD; they're always an added bonus and sound tactical leadership is often the difference between a disastrous bloodbath and an evenly matched, exciting battle. So irrespective of rank, if you feel you have a good idea in combat, don't hesitate to suggest it. Most higher ups will be glad to try it out. It is a game after all, so why not? Take the initiative and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see that people are receptive and it may even bolster your promotion chances for people to see you taking initiative. 

Additionally, the notion that you have to suck dick to get promoted is patently false. Being a suck up is the quickest way to harpoon your chances. It's obvious and obnoxious. The best way to improve your chances is just play with higher-ups enough that they know that you know the rules and are able to see how well you work with others and know that you aren't a perennial fuck up. No fellatio required. 

Lastly, suggesting that players who are skilled in combat should be promoted in order to foster roleplaying would be putting the cart before the horse. As an APD officer you are expected to role play, unconditionally. That is not, nor has it ever been predicated on promotion. As a cop, you're providing a utility; aiding player experience, providing an opposition force for rebels and teaching newer officers. If you aren't interested in doing these things absent an incentive, APD leadership might not be a role you're interested in.  

In summation, if you're after a promotion make sure you know the rules and follow them, get along well with others, demonstrate these qualities while playing with higher-ups. RPing well or being an MLG headshot machine are added bonuses, but far from the primary concerns. 

TL;DR: Getting promoted is more about managerial potential than RP ability or skill. Follow the rules, be professional, affable and competent and you're golden. 

DreamC and Patrick like this
3 minutes ago, Buckwalter said:

Additionally, the notion that you have to suck dick to get promoted is patently false. Being a suck up is the quickest way to harpoon your chances. It's obvious and obnoxious. The best way to improve your chances is just play with higher-ups enough that they know that you know the rules and are able to see how well you work with others and know that you aren't a perennial fuck up. No fellatio required. 

HAHA someone wants to get promoted!!! :kappa:

Buckwalter likes this
6 minutes ago, Buckwalter said:

As a former Lt, I'd like to address some of these points. But keep in mind, I stepped down like 9 months ago, so things could be different now.  

First and foremost, the APD isn't perfect, there are problems and inefficiencies that could be improved upon. That is a concession I'll readily make. 

Now onto specifics, there seems to be a misconception that good players are passed over and RPers are shown preference. That's a false dichotomy, good players can roleplay and RPers can be good. But the assumption that roleplay ability is the only desirable trait is overly simplistic. RP ability is subjective so aside from the amorphous descriptors of good or bad it can't really be nailed down and thus can't be taken into account too heavily when considering promotions. It's great, but it's not the only consideration.

I'd contend that understanding and adhering to the rules is the characteristic that is most important. Higher-ups do much more than leading in game, their primary duties are administrative within the APD. Going over applications, performing interviews and ridealongs, answering questions and handling disciplinary action. So you can see why their ability to get headshots or be great strategists come secondary to their demeanor, interpersonal skills and reliability. 

As for the specific need for skilled players in the APD; they're always an added bonus and sound tactical leadership is often the difference between a disastrous bloodbath and an evenly matched, exciting battle. So irrespective of rank, if you feel you have a good idea in combat, don't hesitate to suggest it. Most higher ups will be glad to try it out. It is a game after all, so why not? Take the initiative and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see that people are receptive and it may even bolster your promotion chances for people to see you taking initiative. 

Lastly, suggesting that players who are skilled in combat should be promoted in order to foster roleplaying would be putting the cart before the horse. As an APD officer you are expected to role play, unconditionally. That is not, nor has it ever been predicated on promotion. As a cop, you're providing a utility; aiding player experience, providing an opposition force for rebels and teaching newer officers. If you aren't interested in doing these things absent an incentive, APD leadership might not be a role you're interested in.  

In summation, if you're after a promotion make sure you know the rules and follow them, get along well with others, demonstrate these qualities while playing with higher-ups. RPing well or being an MLG headshot machine are added bonuses, but far from the primary concerns. 

TL;DR: Getting promoted is more about managerial potential than RP ability or skill. Follow the rules, be professional, affable and competent and you're golden. 

I love you Buckwalter you're chill as fuck nothing against you, but I feel like these responses to this subject have gotten old and they're played out. It's like watching a good movie over and over again until you think you've seen enough of it and it's time for something new. Don't take it to heart no pun intended

Just now, M0T4RD said:

I love you Buckwalter you're chill as fuck nothing against you, but I feel like these responses to this subject have gotten old and they're played out. It's like watching a good movie over and over again until you think you've seen enough of it and it's time for something new. Don't take it to heart no pun intended

I spent like 8 minutes typing this man. You cut me deep just now Whiskey. Cut me real deep man. 

All joking aside, I haven't read through the entire thread, so I don't know if people have been saying it over and over. I just know that when I see comments like this, I feel compelled to try and provide an alternative perspective. Higher-ups get access to a lot of stuff, so making sure they're trustworthy and well suited for the position is really important. 

But next time, I'll add some Michael Bay style explosions and an M. Night Shyamalan style twist ending to make the movie a bit more exciting haha. 

30 minutes ago, Buckwalter said:

I spent like 8 minutes typing this man. You cut me deep just now Whiskey. Cut me real deep man. 

All joking aside, I haven't read through the entire thread, so I don't know if people have been saying it over and over. I just know that when I see comments like this, I feel compelled to try and provide an alternative perspective. Higher-ups get access to a lot of stuff, so making sure they're trustworthy and well suited for the position is really important. 

But next time, I'll add some Michael Bay style explosions and an M. Night Shyamalan style twist ending to make the movie a bit more exciting haha. 

Na man it's just that I've seen so many higher ranking people in the APD say the same thing in the past when it really wasn't an honest and true response to the subject but it was a good response to make people feel reassured about their concerns. I don't think the problem is that people can't be professional enough and follow rules, it's the fact that we don't have enough real leaders and people who set a good example in game on the APD side of things. They all look good on paper though. As you stated, in the past if you had a tactical suggestion, no matter your rank, throw it out there and most of the time the higher ups may give a try or consider it and it used to be that way and sometimes it was beneficial and other times it hurt the APD tactically, but that isn't the case anymore. Now we have Sergeants who tell you "be quiet and listen to me and this is what we're going to do and I don't want any talking besides me." That's what they say now when you suggest something and then you end up in an orca with 10 cops and nobody on the ground attempting a hot drop on the barracks at the prison. To be honest though, I wouldn't mind that kind of treatment from a higher up who has the potential to lead us to victory, but if you don't know what the fuck you're doing tactically, don't take that oppurtunity from someone who would probably know more than you. Another problem is that even though most of the current higher ups are fully capable of following all the rules, I get the sense that some of them think they wouldn't be held accountable for bending/breaking rules that are clearly stated in the APD guidebook because some of them act like they're the most important thing in the server when they get in game until someone of a higher rank or an admin gets around and then they're all goody 2 shoes.

EDIT:

To add on the RP side, I don't know about anyone else but I've been playing cop for about a month and a half straight now and I don't even remember the last time I seen a Lieutenant RP with someone except for those old Lieutenants that you see every once and a while who got on cop because they felt like roleplaying today. I have seen plenty of Sergeants RP'ing though I can say that much.

Edited by M0T4RD
4 hours ago, Buckwalter said:

the notion that you have to suck dick to get promoted is patently false

4 hours ago, Buckwalter said:

No fellatio required. 

youre_serious_futurama.gif

There will always be a "You have to suck dick to get promoted" vs "You don't have to suck dick to get promoted", but the honest truth is the EASIEST way to get promoted is by sucking dick. I've watched several people, who Cadets outshine, make it to Sgt and LT. Reinforcing already bad RP/Knowledge of the APD Procedure with a high rank is a sure fire way to make the force worse.

Something needs to give within the APD at this point. I'm getting tired of Cops who play mostly civ getting hella salty, and thinking they know the guidebook when they blatantly know fuck all about it. I'm concerned for how easily people are making it to Constable, just last night I watched a solo Constable land his little bird in Kavala square - Which, by the way, killed a civilian. He left his heli on the spawn, obstructing civs, and decided to go off on one at me when I impounded his heli and told him to go read the helicopter guide. He responded by logging to Civ, and flying an Orca over us to disrupt our direct communication (How does someone like that even pass their ride-along?) He was very quickly taken care of by a member of MoB (Thank you very much, whoever that was) and lost his Orca in the process.

I've been CL'd on by people of the rank of Constable and Corporal, and I've attempted to kidnap a Corporal before which ended in him repeatedly exiting the vehicle to try and kill himself in restraints. And, of course, I submit IADs (or go directly to an LT, in the case of last night) to get the people taken care of. A few days later I see most of these people still at their rank. And no doubt, if they gag on enough higher ups, they will be promoted not long after these incidents.

Perhaps I'm just a bit harsh, but in all of these instances I'd have booted them back to Cadet and told them to learn or get off the force. How difficult is it to read the required documents? Punishments need to be more than just a slap on the wrist, especially if there is clear evidence of people messing up.

Edited by Creic
Reformed epTic likes this