Smart individuals join the APD

15 minutes ago, Creic said:

youre_serious_futurama.gif

There will always be a "You have to suck dick to get promoted" vs "You don't have to suck dick to get promoted", but the honest truth is the EASIEST way to get promoted is by sucking dick. I've watched several people, who Cadets outshine, make it to Sgt and LT. Reinforcing already bad RP/Knowledge of the APD Procedure with a high rank is a sure fire way to make the force worse.

Something needs to give within the APD at this point. I'm getting tired of Cops who play mostly civ getting hella salty, and thinking they know the guidebook when they blatantly know fuck all about it. I'm concerned for how easily people are making it to Constable, just last night I watched a solo Constable land his little bird in Kavala square - Which, by the way, killed a civilian. He left his heli on the spawn, obstructing civs, and decided to go off on one at me when I impounded his heli and told him to go read the helicopter guide. He responded by logging to Civ, and flying an Orca over us to disrupt our direct communication (How does someone like that even pass their ride-along?) He was very quickly taken care of by a member of MoB (Thank you very much, whoever that was) and lost his Orca in the process.

I've been CL'd on by people of the rank of Constable and Corporal, and I've attempted to kidnap a Corporal before which ended in him repeatedly exiting the vehicle to try and kill himself in restraints. And, of course, I submit IADs (or go directly to an LT, in the case of last night) to get the people taken care of. A few days later I see most of these people still at their rank. And no doubt, if they gag on enough higher ups, they will be promoted not long after these incidents.

Perhaps I'm just a bit harsh, but in all of these instances I'd have booted them back to Cadet and told them to learn or get off the force. How difficult is it to read the required documents? Punishments need to be more than just a slap on the wrist, especially if there is clear evidence of people messing up.

Nvm I'm erasing this because I'm done here I've probably pissed off enough higher ups for an entire promotion cycle but those things needed to be addressed by someone somewhere some day a a few months ago but I'm done with the thread now

Edited by M0T4RD
5 minutes ago, M0T4RD said:

Oh I'm well past the growing pains part. All of this has been going on since the end of 2014/start of 2015. It's just getting worse. As to be expected when nothing changes, naturally.

Edit:

Removed M0T4RD's previous comment.

Edited by Creic
7 hours ago, Buckwalter said:

As a former Lt, I'd like to address some of these points. But keep in mind, I stepped down like 9 months ago, so things could be different now.  

First and foremost, the APD isn't perfect, there are problems and inefficiencies that could be improved upon. That is a concession I'll readily make. 

Now onto specifics, there seems to be a misconception that good players are passed over and RPers are shown preference. That's a false dichotomy, good players can roleplay and RPers can be good. But the assumption that roleplay ability is the only desirable trait is overly simplistic. RP ability is subjective so aside from the amorphous descriptors of good or bad it can't really be nailed down and thus can't be taken into account too heavily when considering promotions. It's great, but it's not the only consideration.

I'd contend that understanding and adhering to the rules is the characteristic that is most important. Higher-ups do much more than leading in game, their primary duties are administrative within the APD. Going over applications, performing interviews and ridealongs, answering questions and handling disciplinary action. So you can see why their ability to get headshots or be great strategists come secondary to their demeanor, interpersonal skills and reliability. 

As for the specific need for skilled players in the APD; they're always an added bonus and sound tactical leadership is often the difference between a disastrous bloodbath and an evenly matched, exciting battle. So irrespective of rank, if you feel you have a good idea in combat, don't hesitate to suggest it. Most higher ups will be glad to try it out. It is a game after all, so why not? Take the initiative and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see that people are receptive and it may even bolster your promotion chances for people to see you taking initiative. 

Additionally, the notion that you have to suck dick to get promoted is patently false. Being a suck up is the quickest way to harpoon your chances. It's obvious and obnoxious. The best way to improve your chances is just play with higher-ups enough that they know that you know the rules and are able to see how well you work with others and know that you aren't a perennial fuck up. No fellatio required. 

Lastly, suggesting that players who are skilled in combat should be promoted in order to foster roleplaying would be putting the cart before the horse. As an APD officer you are expected to role play, unconditionally. That is not, nor has it ever been predicated on promotion. As a cop, you're providing a utility; aiding player experience, providing an opposition force for rebels and teaching newer officers. If you aren't interested in doing these things absent an incentive, APD leadership might not be a role you're interested in.  

In summation, if you're after a promotion make sure you know the rules and follow them, get along well with others, demonstrate these qualities while playing with higher-ups. RPing well or being an MLG headshot machine are added bonuses, but far from the primary concerns. 

TL;DR: Getting promoted is more about managerial potential than RP ability or skill. Follow the rules, be professional, affable and competent and you're golden. 

I mean ive Never gotten APD related points. Ive had 2 for a civ ban, so after 15 Months, that ought to indicate I have a decent understanding of the rules id say. Just a thought.

you have been a constable for 15months and no corporal? wow I got promoted at my 4th month I think. Also what you say is so true there are so many SGTs LTs that think they can do whatever they want to civs/cops (and when you report them they do nothing about it) or just brown-nosers doing everything they can to get promoted

1 minute ago, Hakeem said:

you have been a constable for 15months and no corporal? wow I got promoted at my 4th month I think. Also what you say is so true there are so many SGTs LTs that think they can do whatever they want to civs/cops (and when you report them they do nothing about it) or just brown-nosers doing everything they can to get promoted

Ive been cop since September 2014, constable Since first week of October 2014, had 2 points in all my existence(civ ban). Attended 10+ trainings, been SWAT since 1st week. Lol i mean my track record isnt horrible.

Just now, Kryptonn said:

Ive been cop since September 2014, constable Since first week of October 2014, had 2 points in all my existence(civ ban). Attended 10+ trainings, been SWAT since 1st week. Lol i mean my track record isnt horrible.

Imo you should be promoted, maybe you didnt apply for it? 15months as a constable is too much just because of that you should get the promotion. I miss being a corporal but I dont feel confortable anymore playing as a cop like a used to, anyways gl with the promotion.

If someone knows you're sucking their dick and brown nosing noticeably then you are doing it wrong. You gotta be gentle and make it seem genuine. Don't just find any LT and rip their dick off. Slowly work your way in and laugh at their jokes. If someone knows you are trying to suck up then you already failed.

All these higher-ups sitting there thinking "well I never promoted anyone sucking up to me!" Yea that's because they are good at faking it. I challenge any higher-up to leave as LT/SGT/CPT and see how many lower ranking "friends" you have in a week. Its a harsh truth, but these people aren't really your friends anyways. 

Edited by OwenSeven
1 hour ago, OwenSeven said:

If someone knows you're sucking their dick and brown nosing noticeably then you are doing it wrong. You gotta be gentle and make it seem genuine. Don't just find any LT and rip their dick off. Slowly work your way in and laugh at their jokes. If someone knows you are trying to suck up then you already failed.

All these higher-ups sitting there thinking "well I never promoted anyone sucking up to me!" Yea that's because they are good at faking it. I challenge any higher-up to leave as LT/SGT/CPT and see how many lower ranking "friends" you have in a week. Its a harsh truth, but these people aren't really your friends anyways. 

so true!! haha

7 hours ago, Kryptonn said:

I mean ive Never gotten APD related points. Ive had 2 for a civ ban, so after 15 Months, that ought to indicate I have a decent understanding of the rules id say. Just a thought.

As a great captain once said "Just because you never got points doesn't mean you deserve a promotion"  When you have the attitude you have towards higher up do you really expect them to even put you in a hat for consideration? You may not have points, but there have been occasions had a report been filed points would be issued.  That goes for everyone, none of us are perfect.

Just now, HotWings said:

As a great captain once said "Just because you never got points doesn't mean you deserve a promotion"  When you have the attitude you have towards higher up do you really expect them to even put you in a hat for consideration? You may not have points, but there have been occasions had a report been filed points would be issued.  That goes for everyone, none of us are perfect.

There's a reason he has the opinions of higher ups that he does, and sadly most of them are justified. 

You're obviously not fitting of the standard, but there's way too many damn higher ups that sit in locked channels all day only to pop out every once in a while to break the flow of tactics/gameplay and feel important. 

kryptonthegamer likes this
5 minutes ago, HotWings said:

I stopped listening to you, piss off at this point haha. You don't make sense. So GTFO, to say it nicely. We tried to ignore it and let you talk, but you literally are saying stupid stuff. Never said I deserve a promotion, all I said was that I have not had an injunction for disobeying Cop Rules. Thanks.

Edited by Kryptonn
Just now, epTic said:

There's a reason he has the opinions of higher ups that he does, and sadly most of them are justified. 

You're obviously not fitting of the standard, but there's way too many damn higher ups that sit in locked channels all day only to pop out every once in a while to break the flow of tactics/gameplay and feel important. 

Hell if i am the only Sgt+ on and we get into a tactical deal 9/10 i let Swat leader take the lead. I dewhitelisted myself from that so that I can watch people lead.  Its always good to know who can and cant.

Just now, Kryptonn said:

I stopped listening to you, piss off at this point haha. You don't make sense. So GTFO, to say it nicely. We tried to ignore it and let you talk, but you literally are saying stupid stuff.

And point proven. Congrats on proving you deserve 0 consideration for anything more than Cst. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, HotWings said:

Hell if i am the only Sgt+ on and we get into a tactical deal 9/10 i let Swat leader take the lead. I dewhitelisted myself from that so that I can watch people lead.  Its always good to know who can and cant.

And point proven. Congrats on proving you deserve 0 consideration for anything more than Cst. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NO one cares. Move along. You are so unbelievably annoying. You don't like me, I must not deserve corporal. Congrats. You are handicapped or something? Trying to be nice here. Haven't said something of this caliber in the first 5 pages and it's a miracle. Remember how long it took you to get Sergeant when we had the really good higher-ups in the past? They knew what they were doing, unfortunately they stepped down.

Edited by Kryptonn
Just now, HotWings said:

Hell, pretty sure I was talking to you about this the other day too...but there's many sgts/lts who just don't give a fuck. 

I recall one instance where a sgt was giving a "mandatory briefing" after server restart, in which he read word for word from the precinct guidelines in the most monotone voice imaginable. 

If you're going to read from the precinct guidelines, that's great...but for the love of god put some fucking emotion into it...even just a little bit. Text to Speech would of been less mundane. 

Just now, Kryptonn said:

NO one cares. Move along. You are so unbelievably annoying. You don't like me, I must not deserve corporal. Congrats. You are handicapped or something? Trying to be nice here. Haven't said something of this caliber in the first 5 pages and it's a miracle. Remember how long it took you to get Sergeant when we had the really good higher-ups in the past? They knew what they were doing, unfortunately they stepped down.

Shhh. Don't let all your valid points be washed away by name calling. 

Just now, Kuklinski said:

iam not clam down anyone ppl can trash talk each other as they wish for me is good the only thing is i love krypton and hotwings and i know this 2 guys for while and i think they just need to have a conversation and will be good :)

For the record I won't speak to Hotwings ever again, mark it down. If I see it's him i'll peace out of there.

DreamC and HotWings like this
5 hours ago, Kryptonn said:

Maybe if you stop making montages every 5 kills people might take you serious. 

<3

DreamC likes this

There's over 1,400+ (I lost the exact count of members) of the APD in Asylum.

This makes the APD the largest "gang" by far.  It's part of the core game design, and the game affords a lot of people who play as APD the ability to have extraordinary powers.  Such as unlimited restraining, seizing, impounding, etc...

There are measures that have to be put into place, and disciplinary measures are dependent solely on the roles of humans who are by nature flawed.  No system is perfect.

Some points I will reiterate as I read some of the posts here are a couple of points:

• The promotion process to corporal is open to anyone who applies after meeting minimum requirements, which includes the ability to interact with other higher ups.
  • The interview process is meant to be open, but is closed for individuals who cheat, lie, or otherwise manipulate the system.  There are rarely second chances if you fuck up at this stage. Because if you can't be trusted to pass an interview, you certainly won't be trusted with more power even as a cadet.
  • Cadet behavior are all over the board.  And unfortunately they can reflect poorly on the APD in this game, and often times require constables or higher to guide them. And some individuals in the pool of over a thousand players, aren't interested in receiving instruction, correction and learning about how to be a good cadet.
  • I want to reiterate that SGT's threatening discipline, should be reported.  That is wholly unacceptable.  It is the responsibility of LT's or higher to discipline not SGTs.

As for my contribution to this thread, the use of lethals continues to be abused by the force.  It's a rampant issue, and one that the captains are aware of that are monitoring.  It varies by community (server), and the IA system is in place to report problems.  Even if you don't have video evidence, report it.  Even if a report has "No Action Taken", don't be disheartened that we aren't aware of it.  The captains review those reports, the LT's review those reports, and we can see patterns develop.

And lastly, there is corruption in the force.  We the captains know about it, we take action against it where we find it, but the system isn't 100% perfect.

Nighteyes and DreamC like this

Welcome to the real world, Sunshine.

And news flash, if you think being a good cop, knowing the rules, and being helpful and respectful to your fellow officers = sucking dick, you are going to have a huge wake-up call when you graduate from video rental store employee.

There is no need to sit around being a brown-noser to get promoted as long as you are present and perform your duties well. If you spend most of your time as a civ then you likely will not get any kind of promotion since promotions are based on the time as a cop. Moreover, the number of higher up positions significantly decreases meaning the spots become much more competitive. If half the LTs think you are a shitty person, good luck making SGT. You have to work harder to get noticed for those positions. Every single higher-up has put in the time and effort necessary to earn those positions. It's not easy and it demands a large amount of time from the player.

If you haven't been promoted, instead of blaming others you really should look at what you aren't doing right and improve on those areas. If you acted like this at a company, you would either never see a promotion or they would can your ass for being a little whiny bitch.

17 minutes ago, Nighteyes said:

Welcome to the real world, Sunshine.

And news flash, if you think being a good cop, knowing the rules, and being helpful and respectful to your fellow officers = sucking dick, you are going to have a huge wake-up call when you graduate from video rental store employee.

There is no need to sit around being a brown-noser to get promoted as long as you are present and perform your duties well. If you spend most of your time as a civ then you likely will not get any kind of promotion since promotions are based on the time as a cop. Moreover, the number of higher up positions significantly decreases meaning the spots become much more competitive. If half the LTs think you are a shitty person, good luck making SGT. You have to work harder to get noticed for those positions. Every single higher-up has put in the time and effort necessary to earn those positions. It's not easy and it demands a large amount of time from the player.

If you haven't been promoted, instead of blaming others you really should look at what you aren't doing right and improve on those areas. If you acted like this at a company, you would either never see a promotion or they would can your ass for being a little whiny bitch.

This post was never to blame others for me not being promoted. It was made into that by higherups/ex-higherups that do exactly as I accused them of. In fact, I have stated multiple times im more than content being a constable....and again WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE BRING REAL LIFE INTO THIS??? This thread wasn't even focused on promotions, but authorizing lethals in actuallity. The fact promotions is being defended by higherups/ex-higherups shows guilt/defense of somrthing they know in their concscience (if i ought bring conscience to a game) is ruinrd. Sorry but comparing how people act on a forums(APD) to a real life company, is nothing short of cringe.

Edited by Kryptonn
Just now, Volunteer281 said:

I got promoted to Sgt because I went out of my way to help train new cadets and tried my best to be a model cop. It's not all about who you know. If you are a shit cop it won't matter that you know higher ups, you won't go far.

Remember though, this thread wasn't even focused around promotions. I have accepted in my opinion the promotion process is far than on par With equality. This was more of a thread about power struggle and ignorance of higher ups.

Edited by Kryptonn