Should First-Person view be forced in Cartel zones?

Should first-person view be forced in cartel zones?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Should first-person view be forced in cartel zones?

• No
    • Yes

Not voting in the poll out of respect for the rebels.

However the only argument I've ever heard for forced 1st person is "more realism", but I don't buy that one bit.  Compare your field of view right now in real life, to the field of view in any 1st person FPS.  It's so much more limited in game.  Even if we were all Ranger and had ultra wide HD monitors, it's nothing compared to the 200 degree horizontal FOV of the human eye.  Arma 3 has a max 120 degree horizontal FOV (even if it supported higher, no monitor would do it justice).  Sure, seeing your body in 3rd person is not "more realistic", however it compensates for some of the sensory input we're lacking because inherently we're looking through a monitor and not our real eyes.

I think complex 3rd person combat is a big reason why Arma/Asylum is so compelling and unique from other shooters.  Also heli hot drops would be aids in first person, I love me some good orca montages.  

Therefore: -1, let's stick to 3rd person.  Though a trial period or one 1st person server could be interesting.

EDIT: To expand more on my point of lack of sensory input, imagine you were fighting someone CQC in a rebel tower in real life.  You'd be able to feel and hear their footstep vibrations so well that you'd be able to pin point where they were, even a floor above/below you.  1st person Arma won't give you that, but 3rd person does to an extent.  Imagine in real life you're prone next to a wall and an enemy is just behind the wall.  If the enemy shuffled his legs, even turned his head, adjusted his gun, you'd hear it and know they were there.  1st Arma won't give you that knowledge but 3rd person does.  Hell even veteran rebels sometimes can't tell what direction they're being shot from.  How fucking unrealistic is that??  My point is, 1st person is not more realistic.  

Edited by Olivia
Rodrigo, Brutus, Romulus and 6 others like this
6 minutes ago, Olivia said:

However the only argument I've ever heard for forced 1st person is "more realism", but I don't buy that.  Compare your field of view right now in real life, to the field of view in any 1st person FPS.  It's so much more limited in game.  Even if we were all Ranger and had ultra wide HD monitors, it's nothing compared to the 200 degree horizontal FOV of the human eye.  Arma 3 has a max 120 degree horizontal FOV (I think, even if it supported higher, no monitor would do it justice).  Sure, seeing your body in 3rd person is not "more realistic", however it compensates for some of the sensory input we're lacking because inherently we're looking through a monitor and not our real eyes.

I think complex 3rd person combat is a big reason why Arma/Asylum is so compelling and unique from other shooters.  Also heli hot drops would be aids in first person, I love me some good orca montages.  

Therefore: -1, let's stick to 3rd person.  Though a trial period or one 1st person server could be interesting.

what do you think about my suggestion, making the third person a closer third person perspective like CG arma life etc.

Just now, Jaylen Sarrett said:

what do you think about my suggestion, making the third person a closer third person perspective like CG arma life etc.

And making your character take up 20% of the screen?  Nah sorry, don't like it.  I haven't played CG, but I've heard you can't even switch which shoulder you're looking over, ugh how annoying would that be.  I won't be satisfied till we all have 8k+ resolution oculus rift vision.

Mike Stmria likes this
8 minutes ago, Jaylen Sarrett said:

That's not really fun at all, the camera view is aids and is essentially just there to encourage you to play in first person.  Yes, people abuse third person but it's the best option to keep everyone happy.  The main positive that first person bring is there's no longer the peaking game of, people hiding behind shit and popping shots once someone goes out of cover, it's boring gameplay.  But for the one positive about first person, or even the modified third person camera there are way too many negatives for it to be a thing. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Smirnoff said:

Let people get free loadouts at cartel like few times per day. That would be cool. Some special rebel gear. Maybe some special outfit like the Donor outfit with skulls or something.

There's been hundreds of amazing cartel suggestions, including locations, incentives, and QOL changes that need to be addressed, but this isn't the thread for it. The poll failed, and most of the replies and talking about cop v Civ and have nothing to do with the suggestion. 

Hell, there wasn't even reasoning given or any backstory to the suggestion, it was just one question. It's time to lock the thread and talk about cartel issues that matter. 

8 minutes ago, Sheriff Rick Grimes said:

That's not really fun at all, the camera view is aids and is essentially just there to encourage you to play in first person.  Yes, people abuse third person but it's the best option to keep everyone happy.  The main positive that first person bring is there's no longer the peaking game of, people hiding behind shit and popping shots once someone goes out of cover, it's boring gameplay.  But for the one positive about first person, or even the modified third person camera there are way too many negatives for it to be a thing. 

i disagree, i think it's aids that you can see me through walls

HotWings likes this
Just now, Mr Smirnoff said:

In a real world you are capable of peaking over under thorough walls without drawing fire. Third person represents the reality better than first person only. IMO

Peaking sure, having a 30 foot over your head perspective? No.  1st person is not the answer, but limiting the fov from 20-30 feet to 10 could be.

30 minutes ago, HotWings said:

Peaking sure, having a 30 foot over your head perspective? No.  1st person is not the answer, but limiting the fov from 20-30 feet to 10 could be.

The arma 3rd person is 5ft above the player, and 7 when zoomed out. Do you even know how high 20-30 ft is? That would be 3 gas stations stacked on top of each other.

I have always wished for Asylum to be First Person. I also knew that all the quick peeking little beezys would throw a fit if they couldnt spot you and line up their shot while hiding behind hard cover. Watch all the montages people put together and 90+% of the time that is what you are going to see. It gives a huge advantage to anyone defending anything, Dont get me wrong, I do it too. You have to to be anywhere near competitive with the guys who have spent 1000+ hours doing it, but Id rather not have the option and everyone be forced to 1st. Newer players dont even realize its happening for while and just wonder why they are always on the losing end.

Personally I would LOVE to see 1st person forced in any locations that are likely to produce combat. Cartels, Bank, Fed, Prison, Police HQ, Illegal Areas, all of em. For Rebels AND the Cops. 

Maybe Ill get more kills. Doubt it will help the Potato in me though.

Edited by CaliDazze
Changed it to 90+%, because its all anyone ever does.
Leviathan likes this

This is the reason why I'd support 1st person:

The reason I'd support 3rd person:

I like having a 360 degree view in Kavala. :D

My counter suggestion: Give rebels more thing to do so they stop finding it necessary to deathmatch with the APD. This forces all of the cops out of every city to have a 30-40 minute deathmatch when we could be roleplaying. Imagine that? RPing on an RP server.

Edited by Creic
2 hours ago, Olivia said:

However the only argument I've ever heard for forced 1st person is "more realism", but I don't buy that one bit.  Compare your field of view right now in real life, to the field of view in any 1st person FPS.  It's so much more limited in game.  Even if we were all Ranger and had ultra wide HD monitors, it's nothing compared to the 200 degree horizontal FOV of the human eye.  Arma 3 has a max 120 degree horizontal FOV (even if it supported higher, no monitor would do it justice).  Sure, seeing your body in 3rd person is not "more realistic", however it compensates for some of the sensory input we're lacking because inherently we're looking through a monitor and not our real eyes.

EDIT: To expand more on my point of lack of sensory input, imagine you were fighting someone CQC in a rebel tower in real life.  You'd be able to feel and hear their footstep vibrations so well that you'd be able to pin point where they were, even a floor above/below you.  1st person Arma won't give you that, but 3rd person does to an extent.  Imagine in real life you're prone next to a wall and an enemy is just behind the wall.  If the enemy shuffled his legs, even turned his head, adjusted his gun, you'd hear it and know they were there.  1st Arma won't give you that knowledge but 3rd person does.  Hell even veteran rebels sometimes can't tell what direction they're being shot from.  How fucking unrealistic is that??  My point is, 1st person is not more realistic.  

Arma is far from realistic. You should be able to blindfire from cover and be able to prime grenades to be more effective :P

However, having a telescopic head to watch enemies creep up on other side of wall or peak through a window while crawling through the grass outside stretches it. I agree wholeheartedly that arma 1st can be aids because loss of omnipotent vision of surroundings, it also removes your NEED of any other sense than vision. I think fighting in 1st would be intriguing to try, but could pose ineffective for what asylum is. To outright refuse it seems naive.

@Motown

I know you're new here, but please run all Riots or anything that may incite a riot through me first.  I will riot for just about anything;  However this riot was not approved.  If you'd like to formally approve this riot, please contact me via forums or TS3 at ts3.gaming-asylum.com

Thank you for your time.

why does every single post turn into some APD vs rebels shit talking thread? just discuss the suggestion actually at hand, cops may not fight cartels, but they fight every gang on Asylum, at prisons, banks, feds, rebel raids, whatever, so yes, they DO fight, just at a different location, going first person would affect cops just as much as it affects gangs, as they cant peak over walls into the bank, over first ATM wall to hard peak bank, peak over sand bags in the FED, peak over the sandbags in the prison or into the dear stands from going 3rd person, it would affect everyone, so this whole "omg you cops know nothing about fighting" is pointless, give up the little fight and get to the actual point of this.

for quite a while, some people have been wanting a 1st person forces server, some of the more hardcore RP players want it, and some of the other players want it for their own personal reasons, whatever they may be, but yes, lets be honest, the majority of people don't want to get rid of 3rd person, as in a combat situation it gives such a massive advantage it's unreal, and they don't want to lose that ability, so forcing ALL servers first person would simply never work, having 1 of the current servers switched to a 1st person server, however, might work, and attract some of the more hardcore RP players to come back and start playing on that first person server, while the gangs etc can stick to the 3rd person servers.

Even though i know that everyone wants it to stay as it is for obvious reasons i personally have always loved 1st person plus it gives a new challenge to it because i personally think cartels are stale thats the main reason i dont fight them anymore but thats just me i would be happy with 1st or 3rd i dont mind

CaliDazze likes this
23 hours ago, Fluxah said:

why does every single post turn into some APD vs rebels shit talking thread? just discuss the suggestion actually at hand, cops may not fight cartels, but they fight every gang on Asylum, at prisons, banks, feds, rebel raids, whatever, so yes, they DO fight, just at a different location, going first person would affect cops just as much as it affects gangs.

This isn't about fighting cops, this is about CARTELS. WHICH COPS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH.

Well this was a thread to behold...

While I do think that it could be interesting have a first person friday or something on a server or two, ultimately I dont see 3rd person going away on Asylum.  1st person perspective is simply too limiting in the big map of Arma.  Because of the aspect ratio and size of our screens there simply isnt the real estate to accurately portray the normal human FoV.

On the other hand, I am not a fan of people pulling off crazy 50-100m 3rd person spray downs.  If you really want to force more aim down sight play and less usage of the unnatural 3rd person camera perspective then a closer FoV in 3rd person and the removal of 3rd person crosshair would be an interesting trial.

I wouldnt mind 1st person only in cars.  But definitely not helicopters.

CaliDazze likes this
8 hours ago, Atmosphere said:

This isn't about fighting cops, this is about CARTELS. WHICH COPS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH.

the thread has pretty much summed up that 1st person cartels only wont work, and has turned into a discussion about having one of the servers change to a 1st person server, which would affect cops, and they do have something to do with