What could be partially causing mass kicks/server lag

Before I say anything else I want to make it clear that I do believe the mass kicks are at the very least some what the cause of bohemia fucking up somewhere. By that same token I believe that there is a chance the server performance on Asylum could get at least a little better by looking at some things. @Gnashes @bamf

Please keep the thread clean we could use this to think of ideas or theories as to where the lag/mass kicks stems from in regards to the servers. bare in mind while reading, these are ideas, not facts.

1. The server specs of the boxes, is it possible that since 64 bit came out there is room for improvement on the hardware? Also I would like to bring up the question, how many server does Asylum put on each box? Is it 1 per box? 2 per box? are they all on the same box? Worth thinking about in my opinion.

2. The housing script from what I have read on the forums is rather inefficient and I have heard rumors that crates from people owning houses years ago(or at least a long time ago) exist still.

3. Babs, I have yet to see an antihack or logging system like babs on an arma 3 server. It makes me wonder, is babs potentially taking up too much of the server boxes resources while the server is full?

4. I remember when Asylum started doing hard restarts when the server would mass kick or if an admin saw that the resources were being fully used. I think Bamf mentioned that it was the servers memory that fills up which is one of them main things causing the crashes. Is it possible someone could look into the top 2-3 things that eat the most resources? Perhaps from there they could try to dwindle down the amount of resources those things use.

This thread (for a change) is not meant to blame the devs or anyone, keep it constructive I feel as if that is the only way it is going anywhere.

Mr. Brown, Ghouh, JAY1HP and 4 others like this
Just now, Steve said:

1. The server specs of the boxes, is it possible that since 64 bit came out there is room for improvement on the hardware? Also I would like to bring up the question, how many server does Asylum put on each box? Is it 1 per box? 2 per box? are they all on the same box? Worth thinking about in my opinion.

2. The housing script from what I have read on the forums is rather inefficient and I have heard rumors that crates from people owning houses years ago(or at least a long time ago) exist still.

3. Babs, I have yet to see an antihack or logging system like babs on an arma 3 server. It makes me wonder, is babs potentially taking up too much of the server boxes resources while the server is full?

4. I remember when Asylum started doing hard restarts when the server would mass kick or if an admin saw that the resources were being fully used. I think Bamf mentioned that it was the servers memory that fills up which is one of them main things causing the crashes. Is it possible someone could look into the top 2-3 things that eat the most resources? Perhaps from there they could try to dwindle down the amount of resources those things use.

1. I think we all suspected at one point that the hardware was changed and is now shit but nothing was ever said.

2. The crates do eat memory. Before all the donation bullshit only certain donor levels could have crates but now everyone has to be allowed have them and the more crates that are scroll wheel shown, the more memory is used. They mentioned this before but they cant take crates away or have an alternative.

3. Babs has been here for ages, long before the major kick issues, so not sure it has an effect. ( Could be wrong? )

4. They have already looked into things that eat the most resources and "done what they could" for now. Regularly hard restarting tends to sort the server when it starts shitting itself.

Twist.ffs likes this
Just now, Sean That Irish Guy said:

4. They have already looked into things that eat the most resources and "done what they could" for now. Regularly hard restarting tends to sort the server when it starts shitting itself.

I suggested only doing hard restarts on 1/4 servers to see if it made a difference in the long run. It would be great to test that on s1 now since it is the only one that gets pop.

Just now, Steve said:

I suggested only doing hard restarts on 1/4 servers to see if it made a difference in the long run. It would be great to test that on s1 now since it is the only one that gets pop.

It does make a difference. Admins where told to monitor the server memory or check it when it got laggy. If it was high, hard restart and it goes back to normal.

@Gen. Henry Arnold I understand that Bohemia interactive has found the cause of the issue. They're afraid that any tampering with the low level networking might affect the rest of the game, but any evidence of a resolution that Bohemia might have found as @massi stated is what I'm asking for.  - They're working on it, of course, but to any avail?

2. The crates do eat memory. Before all the donation bullshit only certain donor levels could have crates but now everyone has to be allowed have them and the more crates that are scroll wheel shown, the more memory is used. They mentioned this before but they cant take crates away or have an alternative.

I have no idea how to script or code, or really how any of that stuff works, but is it possible to have a script that causes crates to despawn if they haven't been accessed in a certain amount of time?

The code itself could definitely be optimized. There's so many unnecessary loops that could be refactored to an event driven architecture. Look at how the cartel script works. Every minute the server checks if there's any players within a cartel zone. Not very ressource efficient at all.

Rewriting most of the server scripts is obviously a huge task, and isn't guaranteed to fix the mass kick issues. So it's a lot easier to just blame BI.

Edited by Bikstok
william, Keneith and Kettles like this
Just now, Bikstok said:

The code itself could definitely be optimized. There's so many unnecessary loops that could be refactored to an event driven architecture. Look at how the cartel script works. Every minute the server checks if there's any players within a cartel zone. Not very ressource efficient at all.

Rewriting most of the server scripts is obviously a huge task, and isn't guaranteed to fix the mass kick issues. So it's a lot easier to just blame BI.

#Bikstok4Dev

11 hours ago, Sean That Irish Guy said:

1. I think we all suspected at one point that the hardware was changed and is now shit but nothing was ever said.

3. Babs has been here for ages, long before the major kick issues, so not sure it has an effect. ( Could be wrong? )

Hard restarting hasn't been fixing the issue recently. You could hard restart every cycle and it will still mass kick.

Just now, Reapered said:

Hard restarting hasn't been fixing the issue recently. You could hard restart every cycle and it will still mass kick.

Dont know what youve been seeing but anytime ive been on S1 and the server starts to lag/mass kick someone hard restarts it and its fine for the next couple hours. The hard restart helps free up the memory sorting the server for a while so it definitely helps but it eventually goes to shit.

Dont know what youve been seeing but anytime ive been on S1 and the server starts to lag/mass kick someone hard restarts it and its fine for the next couple hours. The hard restart helps free up the memory sorting the server for a while so it definitely helps but it eventually goes to shit.

For me it seems like mass kicks happen no matter what. 

I'm honestly not sure. There are others who feel the same.

Edited by Reapered