Help with an Arma 3 bug

justi

Hello everyone, a little after V2 first released, I started to experience this bug where my FPS seems to be locked at 7, sometimes it goes up slightly. I recorded a video to show what is happening.

Things that I tried were verifying game files, uninstalling and reinstalling on same drive, uninstalling and reinstalling on different drive (M.2 SSD), setting launch parameters pertaining to video memory limits/memory limit, deleting steam cache, unsubscribing from all workshop mods. I tested on any other game including Apex Legends, Forza Horizon 4 Highest settings, Overwatch, DayZ, all games listed play well at 60+ FPS. Monitoring usage, CPU/GPU/MEM usages are never above 25% in Arma. I have done hours of research and many attempts at recommended fixes but could not find anything. Many suggest a memory leak but I have no idea what it is and could not find anything related to Arma for a fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am at wits end.

Specs: i7 7700k @ 4.20 GHz (no overclock), GTX 980 (no overclock), 16 GB 2400 Mhz, 2x Intel 256 M.2 SSD + 1x 1TB Tob. disk drive.

Video: 

I was gonna suggest you to update your graphic card drivers but it looks you did much more than that. I'm really running out of ideas here. However, I'd suggest you to change your launch parameters again. It really does look like some sort of memory leak. Here are some of my parameters and instructions (I used to have performance issues similar to yours in the past):

1. Platform: default (64-bit)
  2. Extra threads (with every option inside marked): UNCHECKED
  3. Enable hyper-threading: CHECKED
  4. Memory allocator (64-bit): UNCHECKED
  5. Enable large-page support: CHECKED
  6. System memory limit: UNCHECKED
  7. Try different screen modes (fullscreen, windowed fullscreen etc.)
  8. Try changing memory allocator (64-bit) to Intel TB4 if the above doesn't work

Good luck!

justi likes this
3 hours ago, justi said:

Hello everyone, a little after V2 first released, I started to experience this bug where my FPS seems to be locked at 7, sometimes it goes up slightly. I recorded a video to show what is happening.

Things that I tried were verifying game files, uninstalling and reinstalling on same drive, uninstalling and reinstalling on different drive (M.2 SSD), setting launch parameters pertaining to video memory limits/memory limit, deleting steam cache, unsubscribing from all workshop mods. I tested on any other game including Apex Legends, Forza Horizon 4 Highest settings, Overwatch, DayZ, all games listed play well at 60+ FPS. Monitoring usage, CPU/GPU/MEM usages are never above 25% in Arma. I have done hours of research and many attempts at recommended fixes but could not find anything. Many suggest a memory leak but I have no idea what it is and could not find anything related to Arma for a fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am at wits end.

Specs: i7 7700k @ 4.20 GHz (no overclock), GTX 980 (no overclock), 16 GB 2400 Mhz, 2x Intel 256 M.2 SSD + 1x 1TB Tob. disk drive.

Video: 

Have you tried completely reinstalling geforce experience along with drivers or just the gpu drivers themselves? Nvidia container has like 4 processes running when you have shadowplay and that shit can take up some dumb usage. Try completely reinstalling drivers and experience, looks like youve tried everything else. 

justi likes this

IIRC you said it happens in singleplayer etc also?
Try launching the different executables in your game folder - arma3_x64 & arma3, and then see if it happens in the Eden Editor or singleplayer.

If it still happens,
Delete your profiles & settings:
Documents\Arma 3
Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles

Manually delete your game files (the entire folder, don't uninstall through Steam). 

justi likes this
1 hour ago, justi said:

I followed @BlackShot's instructions and was able to get it to this point 

<vid>

Doesn't lag now at least. I went to pull a car out and as soon as I pressed spawn, the game crashed so I am assuming its still something wrong with the files. I will follow your steps @Azeh for this thanks for the help both of you.

Glad to know the lag part is gone! For the rest, probably something to do with game files (like you said) or graphic card (try using DDU to completely uninstall your drivers and download them again). If none of the instructions we gave you here work, send Bohemia a ticket. They'll keep debugging the issue by sending you instructions until you - hopefully - eliminate the problem.

@justi Did this start occurring as soon as V2 was released or did it happen after? (Have you been in game on V2 and had it work fine?). If it is so, then i can suggest you do a component check.

I don't think it is any of your drives as you have said that other games work fine at high settings so its not a read/write (mainly read in games) issue. Plus, if it was your drive, you'd have issues with other stuff like files etc... You also may not even see the thing in your drive directory.

I also don't think it can be your CPU or GPU as you say,  Forza Horizon 4 runs on max at 60+ fps, so this suggests that your GPU & CPU are more than likely working fine. 

The only think i can think of is your Random Access Memory (RAM). Try running the win 10 memory diagnostic program.

This is how you do it:

• Open Control Panel.
  • Click on System and Security.
  • Click on Administrative Tools.
  • Double-click the Windows Memory Diagnostic shortcut.
  • Click the Restart now and check problems option.

Once your computer reboots, it will start in the Windows Memory Diagnostics environment, and the tests will kick in the Standard mode right away. In this mode, the tool will run all the scans available in the Basic mode, in addition to LRAND, Stride6 (cache enabled), CHCKR3, WMATS+, and WINVC tests.

Also, make sure all your drivers are up to date... 

Prioritize your GPU drivers and DirectX drivers.

Thats all i can think of, other than that, id be lost.

19 hours ago, justi said:

Video: 

Kind of looks like a memory leak, are you running 64b? I don't mess with most launch parameters as arma already knows what parameters to run. Silly question but can be overlooked, is your memory installed correctly? Make sure they are installed in the correct slots, so they work in dual channel. You could also do a memtest on your ram to make sure all is working as it should.