TOS // The State of Asylum

The State of Asylum

A Quick Introduction

I do not pay much attention to controversial posts such as this one and try to refrain from posting them as much as possible. Right now I cannot refrain from the urge of going into detail of what is currently wrong with Asylum. History keeps repeating itself and things must be addressed. Things like 7.3 need change.

What's Wrong?

A lot of people have taken notice to history constantly repeating itself, including me. You may ask, "what keeps re-occuring," and there are a lot of potential answers to that question. These "potential answers" will be discussed in the bullet points below. Please note that these bullet points are based off of a career rebels' point of view, so they may be a bit biased.

• Bohemia Interactive's Terms of Service on Donations

It seems as if the development team of Asylum is constantly trying to dodge and evade BI's Terms of Service on server donations. It clearly states in the TOS that any items that give an advantage can not be sold as a donation perk or the server risks losing their anti-cheat protection. It is pretty obvious what is clear to do and what is not, so why do the devs keep trying to bend the rules? Just today there was an Asylum patch put out, 7.3. It allows players to donate for keys to unbox cosmetics and things that are not available otherwise. Notice how I bolded that last part. If you donate and happen to unbox a helmet, that is an advantage and is thus violation the TOS. If you donate and happen to unbox the Ghillie CSAT or Pilots, those are both advantages and are, as a result, a violation of the TOS. So that means right now the server is once again at risk of losing anti-cheat because the devs keep trying to bend the TOS. Stop.

• The Community and Development Team

It seems as if over time the amount of contact the community had with the development team has decreased. Very often you will see the development team making server altering changes that do not involve any sort of community input whatsoever. An example of this would be vermin runs, a very popular money making method among civs and rebels. Without any sort of community input this money making method was changed to require refined salt instead of regular salt. Another example of the community being ignored by the development team was when the ten person group cap was put into place. A large majority of people had asked for a 12-15 person cap but were ignored and it was set to ten. Things like this need to change.

• Money Making and Methods

Another issue that must be addressed are the current money making methods on Asylum. The large majority of them take a good deal of timedo not pay out well for that time, and are not enjoyable. As stated earlier, vermin runs were changed to require refined salt and as a result of such take a good deal of time more to complete. Recently there was controversy over if the selling of money on Asylum should be permitted and this applies to money making methods greatly. The large majority of people do not purchase money because they are lazy, they purchase it because there are no enjoyable money making methods + the fact that none of them really pay out well.

Conclusion

As stated previously, I am not one to make controversial topics like this often. If you are going to reply / suggest something, please do not flame. I do not want this post locked, I took a lot of time to write this. Thank you. Make Asylum great again. 

Forrest, Haych, Polar and 10 others like this
4 minutes ago, explicit said:

• Money Making and Methods

Another issue that must be addressed are the current money making methods on Asylum. The large majority of them take a good deal of timedo not pay out well for that time, and are not enjoyable. As stated earlier, vermin runs were changed to require refined salt and as a result of such take a good deal of time more to complete. Recently there was controversy over if the selling of money on Asylum should be permitted and this applies to money making methods greatly. The large majority of people do not purchase money because they are lazy, they purchase it because there are no enjoyable money making methods + the fact that none of them really pay out well.

Biggest issue for me :(

I think you hit the nail on the head on a lot of things.  I think this donation system will get shut down by BI unless we want a bunch of hackers, I just fear that if they continue to do look for loop holes or hope that BI just won't say anything, that eventually battleye will be permanently be disabled or something along those lines.  Though we have to realize that BI created this monster when they cracked down on perfectly fair donation systems.  The one we were all use to before all this was perfectly fine.

It's hit or miss on when they listen to the community or not.  When they do, things work out great and we have gotten even small things added like RCO for civs and tactical glasses for the APD.  But there is a disconnect between the devs and their community sometimes, this was most obvious when Australia life came out, they changed so much without the community's support and really ruined something that could have been great.  So like I said, largely hit or miss.  Everyone is human and they aren't perfect.

Money making needs to be revamped and really looked at.  It sucks, it's boring and very grindy.  That needs to be changed, the trend has always been to nerf any job that makes a decent amount of money, we've seen this A LOT and it's really disappointing.  I rather money making be more dynamic and more choices.  Not just meth or whatever else if I want a decent payout.  And no, I don't want to hear "But if you grind for a week it's fine!"  just no, most people do not have that kind of time to play constantly for a week and grind for that long.  I play on Asylum to have fun, not to volunteer for a second job. 

Edited by Sheriff Rick Grimes
Feenix and explicit like this
2 minutes ago, ryno7 said:

lol, solves everything. Why are you even commenting?

2 minutes ago, explicit said:

Refer to my previous reply.

Thank you for contributing nothing.

Everytime theres a fucking patch its always state of asylum's future tarnished. Yall are annoying as fuck with this fucking spewing bullshit cause now its pay 2 win EVEN WHEN INFACT ITS ALL FUCKING GEAR THATS BEEN IN THE GAME JUST NEW MOTHER FUCKING SKINS 

VARIETY MOTHER FUCKER THATS ALL IT IS

Edited by Ebola
Just now, Ebola said:

Everytime theres a fucking patch its always state of asylum's future tarnished. Yall are annoying as fuck with this fucking spewing bullshit cause now its pay 2 win EVEN WHEN INFACT ITS ALL FUCKING GEAR THATS BEEN IN THE GAME JUST NEW MOTHER FUCKING SKINS 

You obviously don't know what you're talking about if you think that

It's understandable that the server tries to keep doing different things to try and improve the server; that's just what an owner will do. You're right though the biggest problem is the lack of communication from devs/owners to the community, I was an admin on a WoW server for 3 years or so and it ultimately failed because they never listened the community and the communities needs. Change log is good for keeping members up to date on the changes of the server however I'd like to suggest that they also create another topic to inform the community of their future plans; then make a topic concerning their future plans and wait for feedback, if the feedback is positive then implement the changes; if it goes wrong then we have no one to blame than the majority of members who thought it was going to help.

But also try to understand from the perspective of the Asylum team, their main focus is to keep players playing on their server, provide incentives to donate so that they can support the server and make sure everyone is having fun. It's hard to accomplish all those goals without pissing some people off, you're never going to be able to please everyone. With the new crates, it has good and bad repercussions; it can help fund the server to pay the bills(Pro), it will slightly change the fundamentals of the game and make it unfair for non-donors(con). So for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction; for every good there is also bad, which is true in almost all cases.

They outlawed selling of money so that they can keep players playing the game, grinding is part of the life server, however there are people who have extra money and not enough time to do the grinding processes so they were able to just buy it instead. It was good to get rid of it, but also bad in some aspects. BI is on our asses though and the server has BE removed multiple times for similar offenses.

There hasn't been much of a change from the first time I started playing on here a little over a year ago, the things that have changed were mostly positive, even the Bounty hunter patch that everyone dreaded isn't so bad as you'd think. I personally thought it was going to be a disaster however it just provided a different play style for civilians who aren't in big gangs to have their own thing. I have my own ideas that I think could benefit the server and help revitalize the players. But the biggest problem for the Asylum team is that they aren't getting enough donations to support the server, the populations are still pretty high I always see all servers during my time 5-9pm full so obviously what they're doing isn't game breaking for mass amounts of players to start quitting. They have to do something, doing nothing is worse than not doing anything. 

Mike Stmria likes this
1 hour ago, Ebola said:

Just a bunch of whiners cant even be grateful for a content update its always this is unfair or this is against BI's fucking ToS lol yall are pathetic leave the fucking community if you dont like it point blank

You sound incredibly salty and i've learned that there's no point to arguing with someone like this. All im saying is, if we want to keep hacker protection (maybe a little important), than the current system needs to be changed. Paratus has already responded and said there will be a fix. This was brought to his attention by the community. So our "bitching" and "complaining" is really just trying to help the server out. If I really wanted to leave, I wouldn't give a fuck for making a comment on any of these posts. 

I have to agree with the donor thing. I think that the loot crate idea is really good, but you should not try to avoid BI's TOS. Just add the pink Ifrits instead of the helmet/fatigues and everyone will be happy.

Regarding group cap, there was actually a discussion before it was implemented I believe. Major gang leaders took initiative even before it was implemented to disband their gangs and create smaller ones.

36 minutes ago, Cassettes said:

You make some valid points in the OP, but as I've said many times all over the place, the situation with CSAT rewards is not working as intended. I would never, ever introduce a paid feature which would give advantage. I have not done that in the past years and I'm not going to start. What you have now is a broken and unintended implementation which will be fixed tomorrow when I'm in the office.

Communication is a big one and something we're working on, but I do think it's improving. We've made a lot of alterations based on feedback but some things won't make it in if it conflicts with our design.

7 minutes ago, Paratus said:

You make some valid points in the OP, but as I've said many times all over the place, the situation with CSAT rewards is not working as intended. I would never, ever introduce a paid feature which would give advantage. I have not done that in the past years and I'm not going to start. What you have now is a broken and unintended implementation which will be fixed tomorrow when I'm in the office.

Communication is a big one and something we're working on, but I do think it's improving. We've made a lot of alterations based on feedback but some things won't make it in if it conflicts with our design.

does this mean you are removing them?

2 hours ago, Trilligy said:

Alright going to unlock the thread. Please lets not turn this into a KYS or telling people to leave everyone here has a opinion to share and just because it might be different from yours doesn't make it wrong. 

hey heres an idea. How about instead of locking posts. Just delete/ give out warning points to people who are toxic. No need to close an entire discussion based off a few bad apples. That goes for the whole admin team, i havent seen this many locked posts since haphazard actually gave a fuck.

2 hours ago, Paratus said:

With the vest script or not, CSAT armour applies to the whole person. As Bikstok mentioned, you take a extra 7.62 round to the shoulder/thigh, areas that a vest does not matter. Putting CSAT clothing behind a pay wall is literally P2W.

The price of keys is very high for what you get, and you well knew that people will still buy them to gain the slight advantage CSAT clothing gives you, its worked, people are spending a lot of money just for these clothes, but you are milking the community and giving them items they already payed for by buying Arma. This would of not been a issue if the clothing didn't give you a advantage. Another thing that is wrong with this update is the level of custom clothing added. No effort has gone into these custom commoner skins and yet they are still behind a paywall, like seriously? Instead of those 0 effort commoner clothing, it should of been cool custom Ifrit/Orca skins, cool Hatchback SUV skins that you can unlock.

I like the whole loot box idea, it's a cool way of bringing in money, however making people pay for clothing that gives you a advantage is just not right, again a cool feature and thought but damn it was handled poorly like a lot features you add. Majority of people are not buying the crates for its intended purpose (aesthetics) we are buying them because the advantage its going to give us in combat when we do unlock the CSAT clothing and LCH.

If you need any help making custom skins to bring donation rewards back on track without making it P2W and giving people items they've already 'payed' for or simply optimising the current JPG skins so we can all enjoy .PAA skins without the hefty file size, just ask. I'm literally concerned for Asylum at this current point in time and putting items like these behind paywalls is not the way to go.

Edited by Haych
12 hours ago, TheRealLethal said:

hey heres an idea. How about instead of locking posts. Just delete/ give out warning points to people who are toxic. No need to close an entire discussion based off a few bad apples. That goes for the whole admin team, i havent seen this many locked posts since haphazard actually gave a fuck.

Well where to even start on this. So we lock topics not posts and the reason you cannot see the hidden comments is because well they are hidden not locked. As for warning points a few months back we adopted a new system for it since some admins where banning people right off the first thing they did wrong on the forums. Also we cannot sit in a thread all night and day waiting for someone to do something/say something stupid.