To the Vets of Asylum: RP Ideas with New Players

This thread is mainly about brainstorming RP ideas that can be fun for both veteran players and new players to the server.  Please feel free to share any RP ideas that you have that others may find fun or interesting.

To the Vets and experienced players on Asylum:  

At one time we were all the new guy trying to figure out what to do on Asylum.  This time can be both frustrating (how do I unlock my quad?) and a lot of fun.  For me I logged in for the first time in early 2014 as EMT in Kavala.  My first experience when walking into Kavala square was seeing a cluster of quadbikes in the corner and a guy on a quad driving back and forth ramming the pile of quads.  Needless to say (as quads use to explode with the force of a thousand suns back then) it was a learning experience.

More recently I have grown a bit bored of the typical rebel activities and have been doing something a little different and surprisingly enjoyable.  I'll list a few of these ideas below but most of them consist of actively engaging with new players.  It's easier for me as I can see exactly who is new, but it's not hard to do it for anyone else as all you need to do is ask in side chat who is new or just look around in Kavala for a minute or two.

Idea #1:  Indentured Servants.  Find a new player in Kavala and bargain with him to teach him how to make money, RP, etc. by having him RP sign a contract that he will work for you for the next hour.  Learning your skills, how run drugs, rob gas stations, or other aspects of the game.  Give him a backpack and tell him you'll teach him to run coke.  If he does a good job give him a cut or whatever you desire.  I've filled up a flatbed with 5-6 new players with this type of system and it's a lot of fun.  Tell them that if they try and run or steal the contract is broken and they will be shot.  Give him a gun and tell him to rob a gas station while you provide cover.  Sometimes the new player will play along and it can be a lot of fun.  If they don't just move on to the next person.

Idea #2:  Weapons Safety Training.  I've done this a number of times with new players.  Showing them how to properly and improperly handle firearms and grenades.  Get two civs, tell them they need to sign a waiver that you're not responsible if they die during the training exercise.  Have them 1v1 each other, kneecapping, downing vs. lethal, or how to properly CQC.  There are many options here.

Idea #3: Rebel Cadet.  There's nothing more interesting than putting a new player into your group for a bank heist or robbery.  Give him a rook or any weapon.  Find a target to rob and show him how it's done.  Then make him do it.  Basically treat him like a cadet but for rebels.  This will help him understand rules of engagement/RP and most of the time some funny shit will take place especially when the cops get involved.  If you have money coming out your ears turn him into a suicide bomber or speed bomber.  The possibilities are many and the results can be side splitting laughter.  

Idea #4: Grand Theft Auto.  Similar to #2 or #3 but your training him to be a professional auto thief.  If they don't have the experience for the talents you may need to improvise. 

Feel free to share your ideas below.  I have a lot of fun with it and you and your gang/group can too!

Jamooze, Jc dock, Shepurd and 14 others like this

Once in a while I like to take clueless players on "ride alongs", meaning I let them chill with us in the car and let them see what it's like being a cop (unfortunately can't necessarily bring them to feds/banks). Most of them find it enjoyable since a lot of them are waiting to meet the requirements for the APD and just wanna see the different possibilities that Asylum has to offer. 

Unfortunately, some of them were harmed in the process, but all in all they have a good time :3

25 minutes ago, Goldberg Attorney at Law said:

More recently I have grown a bit bored of the typical rebel activities and have been doing something a little different and surprisingly enjoyable.  

I would doubt that you've ever participated a lot in rebel activities and rebel activities as admins just playing with other admins is not really the playstyle of a rebel. Spawning in guns and vehicles just to lose them a bit later because you don't really care about them is just not the same as when you know you had to work for that money/gear and you realized that you lose an hour of your life that you spend farming that meth for the one helicopter you want to buy just to lose it a little later. If you can just spawn it in it's obviously going to get boring and dull. Even when you were in Tempest I don't think you participated in a lot of rebel activities such as cartels etc. But hey I could be wrong. :)

28 minutes ago, Goldberg Attorney at Law said:

Idea #1:  Indentured Servants.  

Idea #2:  Weapons Safety Training.  

Idea #3: Rebel Cadet.  

Idea #4: Grand Theft Auto. 

Done all of those before 9/10 times it's more of a hassle than actually funl, since you're most likely dealing with a dribbler who's playing his first video game ever.

Just now, Cengiz Fahid said:

I would doubt that you've ever participated a lot in rebel activities and rebel activities as admins just playing with other admins is not really the playstyle of a rebel. Spawning in guns and vehicles just to lose them a bit later because you don't really care about them is just not the same as when you know you had to work for that money/gear and you realized that you lose an hour of your life that you spend farming that meth for the one helicopter you want to buy just to lose it a little later. If you can just spawn it in it's obviously going to get boring and dull. Even when you were in Tempest I don't think you participated in a lot of rebel activities such as cartels etc. But hey I could be wrong. :)

Done all of those before 9/10 times it's more of a hassle than actually funl, since you're most likely dealing with a dribbler who's playing his first video game ever.

You should look at the glass thats half full

Olivia likes this

I remember a while ago, me and a couple guys got bored so went into kavala with a katiba and vest in our backpacks (back when it was only the tac vest) and gave 4/5 random guys katibas, got them to sit on the west gate of the Fed and kill all the cops, surprisingly, not a single one of them died, they held the gate the entire time, let them keep the gear, split the bars between them and go off, was actually pretty damn fun.

12 minutes ago, Cengiz Fahid said:

You are wrong, but thanks for the passive aggressive post that contributes absolutely nothing Cengiz.

FozzyBear, Dextrix, Olivia and 4 others like this

We pick up brand new players and trick them out in rebel. Fully funded adventure for them.  The most recent ended not so well.

We were going to do a bank and we wanted to let the new guy be the driller. Told him to hide in ladder room until it finished. He nervously did.  We joked amongst the vets that the kid was actually a mastermind and planned to murder us at the end and steal the cash.

The fight began and tons of shooting and killing ensued. We finished, so I yelled at him that i was going down to get the cash. I grab the cash and start up the stairs taking tons of fire. The first floor is breached and it's just a handful of us left. I open the door to get up ladder and he blows me away. Than, instead of defib, he executes me! We joked about it....it actually happened. Was awesome fun. I got 100txts from him saying "oh shit, I'm so dumb, I'm sorry!".  I respawn ed and went to hq to represent him, got him off with no charges. Was funny as hell

29 minutes ago, Murmurs said:

We pick up brand new players and trick them out in rebel. Fully funded adventure for them.  The most recent ended not so well.

We were going to do a bank and we wanted to let the new guy be the driller. Told him to hide in ladder room until it finished. He nervously did.  We joked amongst the vets that the kid was actually a mastermind and planned to murder us at the end and steal the cash.

The fight began and tons of shooting and killing ensued. We finished, so I yelled at him that i was going down to get the cash. I grab the cash and start up the stairs taking tons of fire. The first floor is breached and it's just a handful of us left. I open the door to get up ladder and he blows me away. Than, instead of defib, he executes me! We joked about it....it actually happened. Was awesome fun. I got 100txts from him saying "oh shit, I'm so dumb, I'm sorry!".  I respawn ed and went to hq to represent him, got him off with no charges. Was funny as hell

That was hands down, one of the best night i have had on asylum. my stomach hurt from laughing so hard.

Murmurs likes this

Off the wall stories can we entertaining at times, but get ridiculous really fast. Like the ninjas bullshit or Warsaw freedom fighter with 30+kills.

I love to incorporate all my crimes into one elaborate story that not only makes sense in the realm of Arma, but is embezzled a bunch to make it exciting and unique.  Don't necessarily tell exactly what happened, give it some life.

3 manslaughters, 3 second degree murders, Grand theft, attempted auto theft, and illegal weapon (let's say a vermin) for the story.

"I arrived to the island for the first time late a night, the last ferry in, officer.  Most of the crew was busy packing up for the night or heading off on their own night on the town, which left my sorry, lonely ass, to gather my belongings off the dirty pier. As I picked it all up, I was confronted by 2 large men. They spoke with a think Russian accent, so most of the dialog was incoherent. However, their actions spoke plenty. They started shoving me around and looking through my bags for money or drugs, that I understood. They told me I needed to pay a fee to enter the island and I had 2 nights to get it and bring it back. Theyou kept my license to find me later if I ran. I had no way to make money on an island that I have no contacts, but I didn't want to be hunted like a dog, so I went back to die with dignity. They punched me a few times and pushed me to the ground and started arguing who was going to, uh well, it involved them grabbing their crotch while arguing soooo...one can only imagine. I knew it was my chance and jumped into action. I kicked one in the back and he ran into the other, knocking him into the water. He turned and pointed his vermin at me and I grabbed it and managed to knock it away. After wrestling, I managed to grab the vermin and shoot him. As I killed the first, the one from the water was crawling out so I shot him.  (2 manslaughters) I pushed their bodies into the bay to make sure they didn't come after me, which I'm sure the gunfire drew some attention from the neighbors who just saw me with a gun pushing bodies into the bay (2 second degree murders). I saw their car around the corning and started to run for it. There was a 3rd guy sitting on the hood smoking and went for his gun when he saw me, so I shot him. As I was searching him for the keys, he apparently wasn't dead and started reaching for the vermin, so I struggled him until he was no longer a threat (3rd MS and SDM). I found the keys and stole the car.  I was trying to get as far away from town as I could before I tried to contact the police incase there were more. That's why you found me driving away from Kavala!

The real story: I murdered 3 guys doing cocaine in a flatbed. Killed them, executed and went to chop it. GG

Reavantos, Olivia and Bersabee like this
2 hours ago, Cengiz Fahid said:

I think you fail to realize that all of us Admins have been on the other side of your argument. We all started out as rebels or career cops. We know the money grind. However due to the nature of our duties we don't necessarily have time to sit there and grind cash. The weapons and gear we use don't just poof right in the middle of battle. We travel to our homes or rebel when we get gear.

Now to get back on topic. I like Goldberg suggestions. It's been a while since I've done any of the them. It can be loads of fun taking new players and showing them the ropes. It's funny how excited a group of newbies can get when you gear them up with rooks.

Poko and SheriffJohnBeard like this

Ive been playing Asylum for 3+ years, and my FAVORITE thing is interacting with new players. Seeing how they approach the game in such an innocent manner makes me wish I could travel back to the days before big gangs rui- came to these servers. Whenever I see a new guy I offer to give him a flat bed or a hatchback sport, just to help them out a bit :)

Padrinos likes this
3 hours ago, Goldberg Attorney at Law said:

This thread is mainly about brainstorming RP ideas that can be fun for both veteran players and new players to the server.  Please feel free to share any RP ideas that you have that others may find fun or interesting.

The FSA just LOVES showing new players how to play with their shiny new suicide vest :D

39 minutes ago, Spankbank said:

I think you fail to realize that all of us Admins have been on the other side of your argument. We all started out as rebels or career cops. We know the money grind. However due to the nature of our duties we don't necessarily have time to sit there and grind cash. The weapons and gear we use don't just poof right in the middle of battle. We travel to our homes or rebel when we get gear

and im going apple picking with scooby doo.

3 hours ago, Goldberg Attorney at Law said:

At one time we were all the new guy trying to figure out what to do on Asylum.  This time can be both frustrating (how do I unlock my quad?) and a lot of fun.  For me I logged in for the first time in early 2014 as EMT in Kavala.  My first experience when walking into Kavala square was seeing a cluster of quadbikes in the corner and a guy on a quad driving back and forth ramming the pile of quads.  Needless to say (as quads use to explode with the force of a thousand suns back then) it was a learning experience.

More recently I have grown a bit bored of the typical rebel activities and have been doing something a little different and surprisingly enjoyable.  I'll list a few of these ideas below but most of them consist of actively engaging with new players.  It's easier for me as I can see exactly who is new, but it's not hard to do it for anyone else as all you need to do is ask in side chat who is new or just look around in Kavala for a minute or two.

Idea #1:  Indentured Servants.  Find a new player in Kavala and bargain with him to teach him how to make money, RP, etc. by having him RP sign a contract that he will work for you for the next hour.  Learning your skills, how run drugs, rob gas stations, or other aspects of the game.  Give him a backpack and tell him you'll teach him to run coke.  If he does a good job give him a cut or whatever you desire.  I've filled up a flatbed with 5-6 new players with this type of system and it's a lot of fun.  Tell them that if they try and run or steal the contract is broken and they will be shot.  Give him a gun and tell him to rob a gas station while you provide cover.  Sometimes the new player will play along and it can be a lot of fun.  If they don't just move on to the next person.

Idea #2:  Weapons Safety Training.  I've done this a number of times with new players.  Showing them how to properly and improperly handle firearms and grenades.  Get two civs, tell them they need to sign a waiver that you're not responsible if they die during the training exercise.  Have them 1v1 each other, kneecapping, downing vs. lethal, or how to properly CQC.  There are many options here.

Idea #3: Rebel Cadet.  There's nothing more interesting than putting a new player into your group for a bank heist or robbery.  Give him a rook or any weapon.  Find a target to rob and show him how it's done.  Then make him do it.  Basically treat him like a cadet but for rebels.  This will help him understand rules of engagement/RP and most of the time some funny shit will take place especially when the cops get involved.  If you have money coming out your ears turn him into a suicide bomber or speed bomber.  The possibilities are many and the results can be side splitting laughter.  

Idea #4: Grand Theft Auto.  Similar to #2 or #3 but your training him to be a professional auto thief.  If they don't have the experience for the talents you may need to improvise. 

Feel free to share your ideas below.  I have a lot of fun with it and you and your gang/group can too!

Not a bad idea, but most veteran players would be shot on site in a main city by a gang war

Grand Theft Auto variation

I've started to park unlocked offroads around Kavala and watch the excitement in their eyes when they return from their first visit at the chop shop.
I start chasing them when they steal the next one. If they're really bad at driving I pretend to "crash" my car after little while, otherwise I chase them with a rook all the way to the chop shop and see if we can have a shootout.

I can't even hit a barn door with that thing so they'll most likely get away with it either way. 
It's great fun and makes them a little bit of money while they get their feet wet to Asylum.

On 26.1.2016 at 5:59 PM, ThePun1shed said:

You should look at the glass thats half full

I'd rather be realistic than optimistic. 

On 26.1.2016 at 6:12 PM, Goldberg Attorney at Law said:

You are wrong, but thanks for the passive aggressive post that contributes absolutely nothing Cengiz.

You're welcome. I mean most of my points were right though apart from the fact that you maybe did more "gang activities" as one might think on first sight. Don't really have that many good opinions on someone who seemingls spend 90% of his time sitting in athira and yelling "I'M GOING TO REPORT YOU" before becoming an admin and then disappearing shortly after. 

Back to topic though. I would suggest having people that do actually care and want to help out like (this hurts me deep inside to say and I'm dying a little inside typing this.) Zoex, who is probably the nicest and most helpful person when it comes to new people and helping others out be admins instead of making admin applications be a popularity contest to be able to play with your friends rather than actually trying to improve the server and it's population. But that's just my opinion :) 

On 26.1.2016 at 7:03 PM, Atmosphere said:

am I the 1/10? Big-Al bitch

You were probably the exception even though you're still a dribbler but at least you are a kind soul. I mean you did end up killing your own team mates and still made 100k or some shit like that in 10 minutes.  

jk ur a fag. 

Atmosphere likes this

When i was rich af on another server, I used to gather a Huron filled with Kavala Hobos, gear them with MK20's and rob the bank with them. Heres a short video of how our first hobo bank event turned up.

I done similar things like this a couple times on here. Nothings more fun than seeing a hobo pistol bang multiple cops

Edited by Haych
1 hour ago, Cengiz Fahid said:

Back to topic though. I would suggest having people that do actually care and want to help out like (this hurts me deep inside to say and I'm dying a little inside typing this.) Zoex, who is probably the nicest and most helpful person when it comes to new people and helping others out be admins instead of making admin applications be a popularity contest to be able to play with your friends rather than actually trying to improve the server and it's population. But that's just my opinion :)

A lot goes into choosing an Admin for the servers. We look at everyone's applications and determine who we should choose for an interview. Some people are instantly disqualified due to age, some are passed on due to their extreme lack of effort on the application. Then we have people who we think would be good candidates on paper, and they bomb their interview.

There is a little bit of popularity in the selection. You wouldn't expect us to choose Joe the pistol banger for admin when we have a candidate that is well known and we know their character. I mean unless Joe really blows us out of the water on his application. 

If you were denied, you were denied for a valid reason. We appreciate everyone's willingness to help out, however Don't expect a handout because you feel you're entitled to the position.

Also i appreciate how much credit you give us, however I think you have this idea that being an admin here means we have 100% power to change everything. I'm sorry to burst your bubble but that's not the case. 

Olivia and Snatch like this
On 1/26/2016 at 8:19 AM, Goldberg Attorney at Law said:

#1 I've seen this first hand multiple times (because i've played with Goldberg in a gang) and this is probably the best RP scenario I've seen play out especially with new players that are so clueless. And it turns into a even better situation when the new player goes along with it.

Who knows what a good RP situation could lead too.

But then again this is all about the effort you want to put into it. =)

SheriffJohnBeard likes this

One of my most memorable moments from when I was a noobie was when some guy got everyone in Kavala square to go do weed. He pulled out an offroad and we all piled in(I was amazed that he could afford an offroad if that tells you how new I was). It was the first time I had done anything illegal and after filling our backpacks with weed we headed to the processor. We got pulled over by the police on our way there and he said "don't say anything I got this". My heart was pumping and I was sure that I was going to end up in jail. But he talked to the cops and they let us go because they didn't have probable cause. I thought it was so cool that even though we had an offroad full of guys with weed we were able to talk our way out of it. We finished up the run without incident and went our separate ways. 

It's funny how and uneventful weed run can be so memorable. It just goes to show you that even just getting a new player involved can significantly improve their experience and show them a time that they won't forget.

Something I like to do is for Trials - Before going to a trial for someone I like to inform the convicts that they will be singing a song to persuade me into saying they are not guilty. Everyone always hears the sob story of I was trying to help my friend and the cops showed up so I killed the crooked cops etc. But I like to be serenaded. 

Olivia likes this
On 1/26/2016 at 3:59 PM, Miss Evo said:

^^^^^^^^^^^ 

I gear kavala up with rooks and we kill the chinese (idk what else to call them) our mission is going well so far, many of them are leaving kavala

On 1/26/2016 at 9:29 AM, Cifunds said:

THEY MUST SPEAK ENGLISH FOR FUCK SAKE !

pretty much this, outside of doing my normal stuff killing the chinese if pretty much the most satisfying thing. especially when they use google translator to tell you to go fuck yourself.

Another great game to get new players involved in is the Asylum Roulette game. Get the APD in on it so pardons can happen and they can help supervise the event. So this is what you do gather up 2 new players blindfold and ziptie them up and bring them into a house (preferably a large one) block the exits so no one can leave. Explain that you have placed a weapon in the house and they must kill the other player to survive and win x amount of money (we all know new players are poor and struggle to do anything). You and the other people watching will unblindfold them and unziptie at the same time to make it fair. Enjoy the RP.

Olivia likes this

Lol that reminds me once of when BB kidnapped me and 2 other cops.  They blindfolded us, one of them sat in an offroad constantly honking the horn and we had to race to the offroad just by listening to it like Marco Polo.  Could easily adapt this so that the offroad is full of weapons/goodies to help out a new player.

JonSnow likes this

First day on the server had some guy pull a zamack in athira and we rode it to kavala where we all got weed and smoked it then were chased around by cops. Ended up with a few friends from that I still talk to today. Pretty much the only reason I ever stayed on the server. That was almost a year and a half ago now. 

Veteran players a pretty influential on noobs. I dont really play as much anymore, but sounds fun to relive that stuff as the experienced player though.

Edited by OwenSeven