Why the Australia map? [MODDED SERVER] (Legit Discussion)

I'm quite turned off from this HUGE ASS map. It's just...too big for only 100 players IMO. And then the city areas are just super hard on the frame rate.

I was hoping the modded server was going to take place on the new Tanoa map. I mean obviously that map isn't out yet, if anything I was expecting Altis, but... WHY AUSSIELAND WHYYYY??

EDIT: Something about this map is triggering me from my DayZ past.

Edited by Sergio

When you overlay the actual things in game from Altis on top of the Australia map in the editor, the map is only about 20% bigger.  Give it time and see how it plays out.  

Of the maps available to do the things we wanted to do though, it was the best choice.  Each of the other maps we discussed had a fatal flaw preventing us from moving forward.  

4 minutes ago, bamf said:

When you overlay the actual things in game from Altis on top of the Australia map in the editor, the map is only about 20% bigger.  Give it time and see how it plays out.  

Of the maps available to do the things we wanted to do though, it was the best choice.  Each of the other maps we discussed had a fatal flaw preventing us from moving forward.  

Thanks for the quick response sir. Any plans on implementing this on Tanoa in the near future? I will kill for this. In real life. Srs.

(hoping my Australian racism isn't too obvious)

Edited by Sergio
Ghost0fDawn likes this
Just now, Sergio said:

Thanks for the quick response sir. Any plans on implementing this on Tanoa in the near future? I will kill for this. In real life. Srs.

Tanoa isn't out.  The main reason to do a modded server was that the launcher finally will download mods for you, and you don't HAVE to have a 3rd party launcher managing (usually in a very clunky manner I might add) getting the modded content for you.  

The new launcher is not ideal, we ran into several issues along the way with it in fact, but we will likely have some more surprises coming out this week (or next) related to Australia.  

Sergio and Eric916 like this
1 hour ago, bamf said:

Hey Bamf, are you guys going to mod an Altis server. I would honestly love to have one server with the modded content installed but keeping the vanilla map. I don't know how I feel about any modded maps but I believe that Altis with the new content would be the fresh coat of paint that our servers need! What do you think and most importantly, what does everyone else think about this?

Sneaky likes this
3 minutes ago, Patrick James said:

Hey Bamf, are you guys going to mod an Altis server. I would honestly love to have one server with the modded content installed but keeping the vanilla map. I don't know how I feel about any modded maps but I believe that Altis with the new content would be the fresh coat of paint that our servers need! What do you think and most importantly, what does everyone else think about this?

Agreed. Pretty sure the modded map + buildings is what is killing my fps. If you kept Altis and added the other content then this would be great.

1 hour ago, Patrick James said:

I just want real cop cars; chargers, crown vics, tahoes, explorers etc. 

dennozZ, DreamC, Phil. and 1 other like this
2 hours ago, Patrick James said:

Have that keep our money and I'd like that also lol

2 hours ago, CyanogenCX said:

Agreed. Pretty sure the modded map + buildings is what is killing my fps. If you kept Altis and added the other content then this would be great.

Honestly it would be best, the map is unpolished, frankly to big and too barren. There's no variation in the cities as they are literally geometric copies of the previous towns and cities. I almost felt lost in the city as it was too big and I felt almost naked without the gear I'm used to use in the vanilla servers. On top of that "nakedness," the constant stuttering of my frames really ruined the experience. I'm with many others when I state this, mod one of the Altis servers but keep the original map of Altis but with the new modded content. That would be one of the best options in my opinion and many others. 

Yeah I was sort of hoping the new modded server was going to be on Altis, NOT aussieland :unsure:

EDIT: I'm totally thankful for the modded server! I'm just saying the DayZ performance is not my thing, but I admit that is only in major cities.

Edited by Sergio
Emma likes this
2 hours ago, CyanogenCX said:

I also feel that the brunt size of the map is keeping Paratus from implementing the cool parts of the mods. Tryk's clothing pack has some of the coolest police gear, like the US Marshall, FBI, and Police vests. I don't know if they've been added into the server but at this point, I don't care. The server is a mess and sure it will get better, that map will still be a big turn off. We shouldn't waste computation power on a map such as Australia that has nothing really going for it except size. The real things I want to see besides the map being gone, are implementation of most of the weapons in the current weapon mod, within reason of course. I honestly would love to have a G36c to patrol with over an M4 or M16. And the G36 is a counter-terrorism/military weapon so it fits the theme of the APD. Also with the guns, I also would love to see more clothing options for police, like stated previous, the combinations are numerous and you can really make our server stand out from others. This is an RP server, so if we as cops want to RP as United States Marshall's, then let us, its something that would be so much fun to do. If people want to dress up in Takistan clothes and go jihading, then let them. Give us the options, and we'll make the stories!

DreamC likes this
4 hours ago, Paratus said:

Most likely, once it's out.

And in all honesty, I think a map made by BI would be the best options to pick from when creating a modded server. Australia is cool, but it's barren with little personality as so many assets are copied and pasted throughout the map, but Tanoa would be AWESOME... Altis too! 

Ghost0fDawn likes this
20 hours ago, Patrick James said:

And in all honesty, I think a map made by BI would be the best options to pick from when creating a modded server. Australia is cool, but it's barren with little personality as so many assets are copied and pasted throughout the map, but Tanoa would be AWESOME... Altis too! 

Indeed. While there are cool maps out there, they never really compare to a professionally made 1st party map. Just one guy (or a handful of them) making a map for fun aren't going to quite optimize it the best it could be and have it as well detailed as an official map would be. This is simply because they are just doing it for fun and not getting paid, and usually are not as experienced as the devs doing the dirty work. Most modders are in learning mode and trying to improve what skills they have, this is reflected with less than optimal content  with rookie mistakes from them. That is not to say that is a complaint, but it is the truth which can't be denied.

I don't have a problem with the size of the map, but the cities are just awfully laggy and every building having an interior in the city is completely unnecessary.

Modded Altis would honestly be the best thing to do and if it is possible to copy the maximum security prison from Australia that would be cool too.

If you have poor performance make sure you start the game with -nologs param. There is a bad shader on one of the assets but we have no idea which (there are hundreds). Definitely in Sydney at least, and likely elsewhere. Starting with nologs will keep it from spamming your log file and could increase performance a lot.

Sergio likes this
2 minutes ago, Paratus said:

if youpoor performance make sure you start the game with -nologs param. There is a bad shader on one of the assets but we have no idea which (there are hundreds). Definitely in Sydney at least, and likely elsewhere. Starting with nologs will keep it from spamming your log file and could increase performance a lot.

Kick people who have been idle in lobby for more than 15 mins

Goofy likes this
On 3/6/2016 at 3:12 PM, Sergio said:

I'm quite turned off from this HUGE ASS map. It's just...too big for only 100 players IMO. And then the city areas are just super hard on the frame rate.

I was hoping the modded server was going to take place on the new Tanoa map. I mean obviously that map isn't out yet, but... WHY AUSSIELAND WHYYYY??

EDIT: Something about this map is triggering me from my DayZ past.

Tanoa would be more than amazing,

Sergio likes this