Asylum Modded Server

Just now, Ebola said:

Bring back a Modded server PLEASE. Aussie life had potential. I'd be all for a Stratis sever with CUP_Weapons and TYRK_UNIFORMS or better yet a Modded Tanoa or Altis Life Server. Before we all shut this idea down for those who enjoyed Aussie Life yes it had it's Flaws but I had a great time overall!

Aussie life had so much potential, if only they did not make timber the best way of making money. I miss seeing people with different and unique guns, cars, and even cloths. Shit was fun af because, it enabled so many more RP scenarios and even better fire fights.

Flameless and USCCHRIS like this
6 minutes ago, Ebola said:

Bring back a Modded server PLEASE. Aussie life had potential. I'd be all for a Stratis sever with CUP_Weapons and TYRK_UNIFORMS or better yet a Modded Tanoa or Altis Life Server. Before we all shut this idea down for those who enjoyed Aussie Life yes it had it's Flaws but I had a great time overall!

I just want all of those sweet pistols in addition to having such a large vehicle variety. Also it was fun flying planes on the roads even though they eventually hit a pole and exploded.

Ebola, Bob Jill., USCCHRIS and 4 others like this
2 minutes ago, Gubber Flexx said:

Aussie life had so much potential, if only they did not make timber the best way of making money. I miss seeing people with different and unique guns, cars, and even cloths. Shit was fun af because, it enabled so many more RP scenarios and even better fire fights.

Ive heard that there has been a lot of work done to that map. When it was used for the Asylum server the map was still in a alpha or beta phase with a ton of bugs. My only gripe is that the size is a bit much for RP. Personally I would be cool with a smaller map and just keep it to pistols/SMGs.

Just now, Sneaky said:

Ive heard that there has been a lot of work done to that map. When it was used for the Asylum server the map was still in a alpha or beta phase with a ton of bugs. My only gripe is that the size is a bit much for RP. Personally I would be cool with a smaller map and just keep it to pistols/SMGs.

+1 I would like Kavala just on a dif. map :)

with modded servers comes horrible fps, unpredictable mem leaks (worse that vanilla arma), constant downloading updates for mods, gameplay balance issues, unforeseen bugs/glitches much more prevalent than on the current servers.

It also alienates part of the community and leads to the downfall of the server, the main reason asylum is so popular, is because you can click and join. 1/3 of the community isnt smart enough to set launch parameters without being spoonfed, let alone download 10 gigs of mods and set them up properly. 

TLDR, server would die within 3 months. Not a worthwhile investment for the devs, would rather see development on a tried and true platform that is Asylum altis life

56 minutes ago, Sneaky said:

There are so many arma maps to use. I wouldn't even care if it was lakeside or a similar size map. Just some small caliber weapons, custom vehicles/skins and a good time.

No reason for smaller caliber weapons( could be a good idea though), just keep it to the same scopes we were initially restricted to during Aussie. But, it is awesome to see how many people do actually want another modded server. I really miss Aussie and I wish something is done to bring back some from of a modded server.

Just now, TheRealLethal said:

with modded servers comes horrible fps, unpredictable mem leaks (worse that vanilla arma), constant downloading updates for mods, gameplay balance issues, unforeseen bugs/glitches much more prevalent than on the current servers.

It also alienates part of the community and leads to the downfall of the server, the main reason asylum is so popular, is because you can click and join. 1/3 of the community isnt smart enough to set launch parameters without being spoonfed, let alone download 10 gigs of mods and set them up properly. 

TLDR, server would die within 3 months. Not a worthwhile investment for the devs, would rather see development on a tried and true platform that is Asylum altis life

I don't see how this is an issue, The people who want to play the modded servers will find a way to do so. The people who don't want to play modded servers will just stick to vanilla. And, if the modded server is actually good there should be no mem leaks, look at nopixel for example, it runs just fine. There is no need for a giant map like Aussie is all I am saying(chances are it was the map creating mem leaks.) Plus it is not so difficult to manage development between both servers, just have some focus on Altis and another on the modded.

4 minutes ago, KevinOB said:

The idea was great, just don't release it with half ass mods.

99% of the custom vests didn't even have armor values.
Shit was way too expensive
Make it the same as altas, just modded.

Basically this ^

Weapon choice was awful. Pistols where cool. 
Scopes choice was retarded. 
Rebel clothing was also shit. There was about 3 cool military clothing. No good vests, no good helmets, etc..

You have so many amazing weapons that you could choose, but instead we got terrible AK's, scopes that didn't work and Honeybadgers that where 16k.

Also fuck me the map choice was stupid. Who's idea was that?

Gnashes told me that the reason they won't do another modded server is that if the Asylum staff doesn't have control over when the mods were updated then the dev's of the mods used would update them at random times, rendering any server using those mods unplayable unless Bamf or Paratus can update the mods for the server.

Just now, W00bzy said:

Gnashes told me that the reason they won't do another modded server is that if the Asylum staff doesn't have control over when the mods were updated then the dev's of the mods used would update them at random times, rendering any server using those mods unplayable unless Bamf or Paratus can update the mods for the server.

^^^This. If a mod updates at zero dark thirty and none of the devs are around to update it then all the players are stuck not being able to get on for however long it takes to update it. 

4 minutes ago, Dredge said:

^^^This. If a mod updates at zero dark thirty and none of the devs are around to update it then all the players are stuck not being able to get on for however long it takes to update it. 

Then they should add a few more trustworthy staff to the list that have access to update said mods. It's not like it's a hard thing to do.

18 minutes ago, Gubber Flexx said:

I don't see how this is an issue, The people who want to play the modded servers will find a way to do so. The people who don't want to play modded servers will just stick to vanilla. And, if the modded server is actually good there should be no mem leaks, look at nopixel for example, it runs just fine. There is no need for a giant map like Aussie is all I am saying(chances are it was the map creating mem leaks.) Plus it is not so difficult to manage development between both servers, just have some focus on Altis and another on the modded.

you are probably right, it was probably just the aussie map causing shit. Idk why i even care to be fully honest.

Gubber Flexx likes this

Most maps are not really set up to do a life server (read that as A2 style buildings). Once you get past that major issue, the number of maps is actually really small. 

I do think we would want to fully control any mods if we ever venture down that path again. But honestly, any map other than Altis seems to ultimately be rejected by the community here. 

NotSoNutty likes this
3 hours ago, Furnie Mack said:

Then they should add a few more trustworthy staff to the list that have access to update said mods. It's not like it's a hard thing to do.

That's never going to happen. Nobody is "trustworthy" when it comes to the actual server machines themselves. I'm still amazed Bamf was given access.

Bamf/Paratus only.

46 minutes ago, bamf said:

Most maps are not really set up to do a life server (read that as A2 style buildings). Once you get past that major issue, the number of maps is actually really small. 

I do think we would want to fully control any mods if we ever venture down that path again. But honestly, any map other than Altis seems to ultimately be rejected by the community here. 

No,No,No we like Tanoa :) 

FudgeR likes this

Im glad we all somewhat mutually agreed on the idea. Why not @bamf @Paratus Bring a modded Altis or Tanoa server as a beta with mods added make it a 75 slot server with jsut the custom clothing vehicles and weapons and try it out. Hell I would even be glad to pay for the server for the first month of testing hands down. I would really appreciate it and I think the majority of the community would as well.

1 hour ago, Ebola said:

Im glad we all somewhat mutually agreed on the idea. Why not @bamf @Paratus Bring a modded Altis or Tanoa server as a beta with mods added make it a 75 slot server with jsut the custom clothing vehicles and weapons and try it out. Hell I would even be glad to pay for the server for the first month of testing hands down. I would really appreciate it and I think the majority of the community would as well.

I would love it but I'm not sure I run altis about 30-40fps I'm not sure how would I run with mods I mean it would be cool if they don't mod it  alot 

alexnerd122 likes this
22 hours ago, Gnashes said:

That's never going to happen. Nobody is "trustworthy" when it comes to the actual server machines themselves. I'm still amazed Bamf was given access.

Bamf/Paratus only.

11 hours ago, Furnie Mack said:

Kind of a shame.

It's also worth noting that I've managed servers, data centers, etc for 20 years - so I do have some experience on that side of things.  

Damn I'm old.  FeelsBadMan...

On January 4, 2017 at 8:21 PM, bamf said:

It's also worth noting that I've managed servers, data centers, etc for 20 years - so I do have some experience on that side of things.  

Damn I'm old.  FeelsBadMan...

Age is but a number :)

So what do you guys think, could we have a throwback and bring back a modded server? I'd definitely be willing to donate.

Edited by Flameless