Aleec Spazeed, the man Asylum needs but doesnt deserve.

20 hours ago, Sean That Irish Guy said:

The blame needs to stop passing from one person to another. I do understand that developers/admins have lives but when they complain about us complaining about what they add to asylum when months of posts are being ignored its gets old really fucking fast. Add shit the community wants before the community is gone.

community left around a 10 months ago

1 hour ago, Destrah said:

I honestly believe the decline has little to nothing to do with development changes. It has to do with this community always focusing more on combat and less on the role-play side of it and that really took affect later on. The reason the servers were fun pre 6.0 was because that was relatively the mid point to when everyone started playing life servers on Arma 3 and when Lirik (streamers) stopped playing which drove away from the role-play side and more to the combat side. The fact the servers have focused less on role-play from and administrative side and there were no forces (streamers) really guiding people to role-play the servers just became stale combat which is what Arma 3 is all together.

While life servers were still relatively fresh for people it felt less like a grind getting money, but as you spend more time doing something the less appealing it gets. Combat is never going to be as fun because its Arma 3 and you've been doing the same thing for years so of course its going to be stale.

So all in all its mostly nostalgia and the fact role-play isn't focused on as much anymore which is what used to be the fun stuff to do after all the combat.

Roleplay has always been mainly centered around when someone is getting arrested. The only thing that was different with pre-6.0 was FSA would roleplay terrorist attacks on the police. And even back then, the cops were pissed at FSA whether they RPd or not. I still remember cops abandoning server 2 in protest because of FSA

Volunteer281 and bC420 like this
Just now, Sean That Irish Guy said:

It has one problem and it can be solved by just listening to the suggestions posted over the past couple months.

I agree with you, I am just slowly losing faith in our devs. A post that has been recognized that much and is not answered by any of the 3 devs is depressing.

Buckwalter hit it right on the head with this post

Spoiler

Here's the sad truth guys, the game you want to play is not the game those in charge want to make.

In the early days there was enough overlap to keep everyone happy but with each major patch came another inflection point away from the original cops and robbers format. 6.0 is probably the most salient example of the diverging interests of devs and the players. The players were content with asylum as it was for the most part—except the complaints about a lack of end game content— but the devs wanted to reinforce the core gameplay loop that most players gladly opted out of as soon as they made enough money. It was a critical misunderstanding of what people played for. People liked that once you made enough money, you could go on fighting and messing around indefinitely. With 6.0 the era of all fun and no grind died. Only to be replaced with the era of perennial grind and very limited combat.  

Due to limitations of the Arma engine, Asylum isn't deep enough to make a grind rewarding. It would be far better to stick to what makes Asylum great, fun interactions and meaningful small unit infantry combat. 

There's a lot more I could say on this issue, from the bad bounty hunter update to the paltry payouts for time consuming activities, but it's all been discussed ad nauseam at this point.

TL;DR: The devs want to make an RPG, the players want to play cops and robbers.

this is my first and only time I will try to get something to happen within the development of asylum. I don't understand why they are continuing to try and make this an RPG when the players clearly don't want it.

I am also aware i'm not the best preacher/ideas man, @Haych was a god at that but I am pretty sure he quit out of frustration for the same thing.

Edited by Alec-I
7 hours ago, Tom said:

Who cares about roleplay honestly? If you want roleplay go play on a Whitelisted server. Asylum has been more combat oriented than any other ArmA Life server out there and most gangs and players prefer to shoot someone over saying "Hey im from fucking kavala". That shit gets old and I haven't used my mic button in fucking months.

Asylum was not always combat oriented, when I first started playing everyone RP'd even Kavala trolls pumping Nazi propaganda and FSA kidnapping people and shit.  People never just came up and said "hands up or die" That didnt become a thing until like 2-2.5 years ago.  You want to force everyone to fight each other, why even get on an RP server light or heavy?  Makes no sense. 

6 hours ago, Sheriff Rick Grimes said:

Roleplay has always been mainly centered around when someone is getting arrested. The only thing that was different with pre-6.0 was FSA would roleplay terrorist attacks on the police. And even back then, the cops were pissed at FSA whether they RPd or not. I still remember cops abandoning server 2 in protest because of FSA

What Durga wants Durga gets. 

4 minutes ago, HotWings said:

Asylum was not always combat oriented, when I first started playing everyone RP'd even Kavala trolls pumping Nazi propaganda and FSA kidnapping people and shit.  People never just came up and said "hands up or die" That didnt become a thing until like 2-2.5 years ago.  You want to force everyone to fight each other, why even get on an RP server light or heavy?  Makes no sense. 

What Durga wants Durga gets. 

Well actually it would Edge and his lovely angels, most notably Angela 

Volunteer281, 544heu and Zelthius like this
Just now, Sheriff Rick Grimes said:

Well actually it would Edge and his lovely angels, most notably Angela 

Oh it happened twice?  I joined Asylum a few months before Edge left.  I didnt become a cop forever, so I dont really know much about the bs from those days.  But I recall Durga telling all the cops on 2 to get off because FSA was taking HQs or something.

1 hour ago, HotWings said:

Oh it happened twice?  I joined Asylum a few months before Edge left.  I didnt become a cop forever, so I dont really know much about the bs from those days.  But I recall Durga telling all the cops on 2 to get off because FSA was taking HQs or something.

The first time was with Edge and NIghteyes and they were mad at how much cops were getting targeted, whether it was RPed or just boredom.  Second time I think was Durga and that was over either something in the change log, which resulted in all gangs chimping out or when Durga started breaking his own rules.  There's been like three or four chimp outs when we had big gangs

16 hours ago, Sheriff Rick Grimes said:

The first time was with Edge and NIghteyes and they were mad at how much cops were getting targeted, whether it was RPed or just boredom.  Second time I think was Durga and that was over either something in the change log, which resulted in all gangs chimping out or when Durga started breaking his own rules.  There's been like three or four chimp outs when we had big gangs

I remember when FSA and Regiment (Or was it brotherhood when they did that. idk lol) Camped every HQ on server 2 and 4.... Until someone came and told us to leave the server idk which higher up it was.

Lets unpack this piece by piece.

- Get rid of Certain Admins and APD Admin higher ups who seem to be at the higher end of the admin chain but don't know there hand from there arse. how has this happened? they are the definition of useless admins. the admin team hates them and are always shit talking these two specifically, and no not just bilal before you bring that shit up, he is the hero you all need however."

This might be a little insight into the admins. We talk shit about each other all the time. Some are more vocal than others and will say it to other people, some will say it right to you. Myself included. The reason he felt inclined to add the bilal piece. Bilal would loose his mind any time anything happened to someone in FSA. Just a mama bear protecting her cubs. Admins don't always get along, or hell even like each other. That said, i've yet to see anyone in our current roster who isn't able to put aside their biases and work with another admin. Hell Jiga and myself got into it a couple of times in admin discord, yet were still able to join the same channel and talk like two adults.

As to calling out the APD admin higher-ups, We've been saying the same thing about the rebel admins since I was a moderator. There has always been "Us vs Them" mentality. I certainly don't see us as "higher end of the admin chain" I was joking to JB just the other day "Hell at this rate you are a senior admin" We've lost a lot of good ones in the past 12 months. In my opinion the main reason APD is looked at for admins is just face time. Typically they have been around the community for some time, they've made a lot of posts on the forums, and have more exposure to the admin team. Smirnoff was/has been the biggest supporter of balance. Every time there were apps open he always puts pressure to ensure we arn't just looking at LT apps. In the mode of "cops and robbers" those playing referee should have a healthy balance of APD and rebel.

"- Listen to the community, plenty of posts and suggestions which have been overwhelmingly liked by the community and are easy changes. here is one of those posts."

+1 The community has ideas, some are great, some are not. I don't think with 2 devs they should be expected to answer each and every idea but the ones that gain traction and are supported should be looked at more than what they are. It could go a long way to at least make the community feel more appreciated if they got a bit more than "Not going to happen".

"- The next wave of admins worries me (support team) after an fsa member got banned for this. if this is the kind of person that's going to judge on whether or not your cheating see u later rest of you cartel fighters you're getting banned for either pull downs, lag switching or DPI glitching. it's bad enough already with the current admins judging. keep in mind when watching this video he was shot by someone else. Norweignviking doesnt mind the video being posted either btw."

I've seen tower lag and I've seen DPI glitching. This didn't appear to be tower lag to me. But as has been mentioned before, I'm a career cop and not always 100 on these events so I put it out to any admin who was online at the time. All agreed it looked to be DPI, even those not in the super awesome APD admin club. I stand by the ban.

As to the length of the ban, I'd refer you to Bamf's post about shortening the time of bans. We take several things into account when looking at a ban. In this case base on past history and severity I didn't feel this needed 'the long dick of the law'. Bans shouldn't be punitive, they should reformative.

"Just my opinion on things, I do not expect anything to be changed or done, many posts have been made like this before, probably going to be deleted because I hurt some individuals feelings... so I return to my previous statement. We're doomed."

I don't think we are doomed. Can we do better? Of course. Is asylum dying? In the gaming industry until the servers are taken offline its not dead. Take a look at WoW. You might call it dead, In reality its suspected they still have somewhere near 5 million subscribers. That is still a lot of revenue. Just like WoW I do think Asylum has peaked. Unless something radical happens I doubt we will return to the days of spamming to get into the servers.

Now a couple of things not directed at the original post

Reading thru the comments i've seen several people try to call out the person banned. He has been very professional about it. "Take it like a man" He certainly did. Could of easily spammed me with the typical appeal of "KYS" "FUCK YOU" "ADMINS ARE SHIT". He simply asked why he was banned, I told him. He asked to see the evidence, I provided.

Some might see this post as crying. Quite the opposite in my eyes. You see something you perceive to be a problem and are trying to correct it. The difference here and some of the other posts - Well thought out issues, and solutions given to those issues. Lack of memes. This is how you keep your thread from getting locked.

TLDR;

1. Admins talk shit, a lot

2. There needs to be both rebel admins and apd admins

3. Listen to your community and give them feed back

4. We are not completly doomed, yet

5. ???

6. Don't attack someone who is trying to make the community better, use your words and talk it out.

7. Jiga once called me a fuckboi and made me cry :(

TRYHARD and BlackShot like this
7 hours ago, Leady said:

Lets unpack this piece by piece.

- Get rid of Certain Admins and APD Admin higher ups who seem to be at the higher end of the admin chain but don't know there hand from there arse. how has this happened? they are the definition of useless admins. the admin team hates them and are always shit talking these two specifically, and no not just bilal before you bring that shit up, he is the hero you all need however."

This might be a little insight into the admins. We talk shit about each other all the time. Some are more vocal than others and will say it to other people, some will say it right to you. Myself included. The reason he felt inclined to add the bilal piece. Bilal would loose his mind any time anything happened to someone in FSA. Just a mama bear protecting her cubs. Admins don't always get along, or hell even like each other. That said, i've yet to see anyone in our current roster who isn't able to put aside their biases and work with another admin. Hell Jiga and myself got into it a couple of times in admin discord, yet were still able to join the same channel and talk like two adults.

As to calling out the APD admin higher-ups, We've been saying the same thing about the rebel admins since I was a moderator. There has always been "Us vs Them" mentality. I certainly don't see us as "higher end of the admin chain" I was joking to JB just the other day "Hell at this rate you are a senior admin" We've lost a lot of good ones in the past 12 months. In my opinion the main reason APD is looked at for admins is just face time. Typically they have been around the community for some time, they've made a lot of posts on the forums, and have more exposure to the admin team. Smirnoff was/has been the biggest supporter of balance. Every time there were apps open he always puts pressure to ensure we arn't just looking at LT apps. In the mode of "cops and robbers" those playing referee should have a healthy balance of APD and rebel.

The "certain admins and APD admin higher ups" is about 3 people in particular who i wont name because they'll get salty and remove this. They're a little group that sticks together and from the admins ive personally spoken too, about 70-80% of the admin time do not like them and have either left or are going to leave because of them. Other than that i have no problem with how the rebel admin and apd admins work as the only bad apples out of the lot are the 3 spoke about above. Also if you have yet to see peoples biases put aside i suggest you look deeper because i know of so many and im just a pleb on the forums.

As for the Bilal thing, he would lose his shit if something fucked up happened to someone in FSA from those certain admins or Budbringer because those two fucking despise each other but other than that he usually tells admins to ban us most of the time believe it or not.

10 hours ago, Sean That Irish Guy said:

As for the Bilal thing, he would lose his shit if something fucked up happened to someone in FSA from those certain admins or Budbringer because those two fucking despise each other but other than that he usually tells admins to ban us most of the time believe it or not.

Ive actually never despised Bilal, and I've never managed to make him ragequit either.