Community Roadmap - Suggestions are Welcome

Dear Asylum Community,

First and foremost, I want to extend my deepest gratitude to each and every one of you for being an important part of our community for so long. Your dedication and passion have helped shape Asylum into the vibrant community it is today.

However, it has come to our attention that some players are not satisfied with the current state of the server. We hear you, we are committed to addressing your concerns, and making necessary improvements. With that being said, I would like to outline a roadmap of ideas for the future, and I warmly welcome your suggestions and feedback through this post.

1. Increased Transparency and Communication:

2. Enhanced Community Engagement:

3. Strengthening Staff team:

4. Revitalizing Leadership Engagement:

We get it, leadership on our part has not been the greatest.  I know this post doesn’t immediately fix anything, but we can and will do better going forward as the players of this community are our top priority.  We are planning to have a staff meeting this weekend and discuss current concerns and what we need to change to move forward.

Thank you for being a part of our community, and let's work together to make Asylum an even better place for everyone.

Sincerely,

The Senior Admins

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

@Roice <— Tagged and thank you for the response.

i think one of the main concerns is the lack of care for new players. this isn't an admin exclusive thing, many gangs don't give them a chance either. its why hyper has so many numbers, we try to guide them. but on the admin side of this topic, i see new people in chat asking for help a LOT, but no staff replies. most of the time its just questions about something on the server, and gets answered by a player, but sometimes they legitimately need admin support but don't get it.

the server won't grow if this keeps up, and who knows, one of these new players that get pushed away could be an exceptional dev, able to contribute greatly to the server.

A breakdown of possible solutions within that roadmap:

• Implement regular updates from Asylum Staff Management to keep the community informed about changes, events, and future plans.

• Organize more community events, tournaments, and activities to foster a sense of camaraderie and competitiveness among players.
  • Encourage active participation in the forums and discord to keep the conversation going and strengthen our bonds as a community.

• Improve staff training to ensure consistent enforcement of rules and fair resolution of disputes across the board.
  • Staff to be more involved in the server in terms of engagement with old players and new players.

• Possibly have more active involvement by scheduling regular "town hall" style meetings or Q&A sessions where all players can directly have conversation with us and the owner.
  • Explore opportunities for Asylum Staff to collaborate with community leaders and influencers to gather feedback and ideas for improving the server experience.

These are just some ideas of course.

Sandwich and Silver-Spy like this

Personal thoughts and opinions of the current state of Asylum.

Cops have more utility to win a fight against civs then ever before. When they have numbers to match it, it is insanely difficult. However when they don't have numbers, and/or the leadership available to help them they fold like a piece of cardboard.

I suggest drawing back on the utility that police have, while also encouraging them to be more active. As I said, the balancing aspects of what the police have now manifests as a negative when they have more then 10-12 on. When there is 5 cops on, it's irrelevant. Cops will always lack in skill and coordination relative to most gangs as the always have as gangs play together more, but what they have a leg up on is getting back faster and cheaper gear.

To go into specifics on what I am referring too, mostly Ifrit usage. Fighting endless waves of Striders and Hunters is one thing, Ifrits are another. I might also add that fighting a gang with 8-10 ifrits is far different than fighting cops with 8-10 ifrits because they can't return nearly as quick. I am of course aware that it's locked behind a higher ups ability to pull them, even still it poses what I would objectively say based on my tenure in the server is a net-negative. I encourage limiting the number of ifrits that police can have out at a time in someway. Police have overall been given more and more other things to use since the inception of Asylum. For instance before, a fed used to be some Deerstands, 4 gates, you had to watch out for parachuters, a heli hot landing Alamo or in the north eastern part and cops nitroing in. Now it is all of that, plus the jump spots, usable by vans, the ifrits (which I explained above) and occasionally even the Marid. Then when you leave, cops can spike you now from their own car, and every gate has spikes on it until you cut the gate open.

Now lets take a look at what rebels have acquired over that time. The Mk1 is still overall the best gun all things considered. The biggest change I would say is that they have RPGs and tbh, if we took a really close look at dumbing down the cop utility the RPGs can go. Next up you have the armed quilin, and with free vehicle reloads, that and/or a .50 cal can be a pretty gnarly combo however whenever its being used it is incredibly vulnerable due to the gunner being exposed. We have had some other things like the engine kill switch and so forth, which doesn't really provide any utility for fighting cops in a fed, or really at any federal event. Additionally, we have gotten a different assortment of guns, but for most with the exception of my self people overwhelmingly prefer the Mk1 or the Mk18. You will see a mk200 here and there and even rarely a zafir.

Fed payouts seem to be balanced over all. I like most of the cartel caps as well. The quest system is pretty cool although I haven't used it that much to be honest. I also think the infamy system is pretty cool, it's a slow grind where you see the rewards and benefits over the course of a long period of time and I have been enjoying it.

10 minutes ago, GravL said:

i think one of the main concerns is the lack of care for new players. this isn't an admin exclusive thing, many gangs don't give them a chance either. its why hyper has so many numbers, we try to guide them. but on the admin side of this topic, i see new people in chat asking for help a LOT, but no staff replies. most of the time its just questions about something on the server, and gets answered by a player, but sometimes they legitimately need admin support but don't get it.

the server won't grow if this keeps up, and who knows, one of these new players that get pushed away could be an exceptional dev, able to contribute greatly to the server.

On the APD side, I frequently see significantly reduced tickets and pardons for players with the “New Player” flag. Roleplay has gone down over the years, including within the APD. The roleplay aspect might not have an answer besides individually pushing fellow old dogs to increase it- @DarkKnight interested to see if you’d think it could work. I’m inclined to agree with some others that Athira is not a good city to have at the top of the civ spawn list. That’s not to say that Kavala was free from frequent deaths to new players, but it was a different player type distribution in a sense.

Sandwich likes this
  1. Remove inactive admins. Promote people who not only play the game but also check comp requests etc.... The only active admins i see ingame are mainly @Ronald@Ken @Hubschrauber @DarkKnight& @Louie.  
  2. Promote some support guys to take their place. I myself had to wait 6months just to get Mod. If they are active and interested make them mods give them a chance. Better than having inactive Senior Admins/Admins
  3. Do more fun admin events in game. I miss the good old days playing around calling Hookers ( Smirnoff's admin event i think) or Clints Christmas event or Bada &  Subaru do some crazy shit or just some random convoy transport, Something rather than nothing. Why dont we have more events. Hell make it a weekly event. Get the people interested in playing the game. Make a post each week about an event so gangs and even the APD officers get on to take part in. But please make the rules clear so you wont have to ban them for using a sui vest.
  4. Don't be too harsh on your player base. Stop banning people for small things. Just have a talk with them 1v1 like grown ups. 
  5. Bring back gang wars?. Maybe not i don't know not that many active gangs on anymore. Think of something other than gang wars to get players excited to play rather then just make money fight cops.
  6. Maybe APD related but cops should have a policy not to charge new players too harshly. Search and see if they are new players. Give them a small ticket. Dont make them rage quit. Too many money hungry cops running around ruining new players experience. Its the same thing with the current Lts and Captains. None of them even want to fight. When there aren't any gangs around to fight cartels you only get to fight cops. But even when they dont want to fight whats the point?. Too many inactive higher ups and those who are active give their 2 lives and start flying around Helis just to get their playtime for the month and get off. 
  7. Stop hiding in back channels. Admins should be visible on teamspeak. Go hide when your handling requests. 
.Max, DarkKnight, GravL and 1 other like this
11 minutes ago, Steve said:

Personal thoughts and opinions of the current state of Asylum.

Cops have more utility to win a fight against civs then ever before. When they have numbers to match it, it is insanely difficult. However when they don't have numbers, and/or the leadership available to help them they fold like a piece of cardboard.

I suggest drawing back on the utility that police have, while also encouraging them to be more active. As I said, the balancing aspects of what the police have now manifests as a negative when they have more then 10-12 on. When there is 5 cops on, it's irrelevant. Cops will always lack in skill and coordination relative to most gangs as the always have as gangs play together more, but what they have a leg up on is getting back faster and cheaper gear.

To go into specifics on what I am referring too, mostly Ifrit usage. Fighting endless waves of Striders and Hunters is one thing, Ifrits are another. I might also add that fighting a gang with 8-10 ifrits is far different than fighting cops with 8-10 ifrits because they can't return nearly as quick. I am of course aware that it's locked behind a higher ups ability to pull them, even still it poses what I would objectively say based on my tenure in the server is a net-negative. I encourage limiting the number of ifrits that police can have out at a time in someway. Police have overall been given more and more other things to use since the inception of Asylum. For instance before, a fed used to be some Deerstands, 4 gates, you had to watch out for parachuters, a heli hot landing Alamo or in the north eastern part and cops nitroing in. Now it is all of that, plus the jump spots, usable by vans, the ifrits (which I explained above) and occasionally even the Marid. Then when you leave, cops can spike you now from their own car, and every gate has spikes on it until you cut the gate open.

Now lets take a look at what rebels have acquired over that time. The Mk1 is still overall the best gun all things considered. The biggest change I would say is that they have RPGs and tbh, if we took a really close look at dumbing down the cop utility the RPGs can go. Next up you have the armed quilin, and with free vehicle reloads, that and/or a .50 cal can be a pretty gnarly combo however whenever its being used it is incredibly vulnerable due to the gunner being exposed. We have had some other things like the engine kill switch and so forth, which doesn't really provide any utility for fighting cops in a fed, or really at any federal event. Additionally, we have gotten a different assortment of guns, but for most with the exception of my self people overwhelmingly prefer the Mk1 or the Mk18. You will see a mk200 here and there and even rarely a zafir.

Fed payouts seem to be balanced over all. I like most of the cartel caps as well. The quest system is pretty cool although I haven't used it that much to be honest. I also think the infamy system is pretty cool, it's a slow grind where you see the rewards and benefits over the course of a long period of time and I have been enjoying it.

Inactive or barely active higher ups including captains should be removed. If they dont play the game or lead the APD whats the point?. Back when there was a fed we would literally grab all the cops from other prescient's to help out deal with the rebels. But now if you go and tell them that you need some support they just ignore you. If they dont enjoy the game anymore they shouldn't stay in the positions. Give it to someone who cares and plays. 

But from the cop side payouts should be increased. When you stop a bank you only get 5k payout. After getting steam rolled 10 times with 5 constables. I say this because you need to encourage cops to play as well. When there is no one to fight other than the APD then you need to incentivize them to play. Whenever my freinds are not on i hop on cop but i find it too often that higher ups nowadays get fed up so quickly after getting killed and they just ask people to stop going to the bank/fed. Few nights ago we literally sat in prison waiting to get cops on so we can start a prison and free our man @Alec-I. But cops don't want to play because they complain about getting killed and never winning. Thats why active higher ups who could pull some actual armour and MKs and who are interested to actually fight are important. 

Donald likes this
52 minutes ago, MarchingBands said:

On the APD side, I frequently see significantly reduced tickets and pardons for players with the “New Player” flag. Roleplay has gone down over the years, including within the APD. The roleplay aspect might not have an answer besides individually pushing fellow old dogs to increase it- @DarkKnight interested to see if you’d think it could work. I’m inclined to agree with some others that Athira is not a good city to have at the top of the civ spawn list. That’s not to say that Kavala was free from frequent deaths to new players, but it was a different player type distribution in a sense.

yeah, apd used to be robocops. Hence why most players dont roleplay anymore. Everyone is used to them robocopping. why waste my time roleplaying when a cop half the time wouldnt give a ticket thats even worth roleplaying for.

AFD Chief Is a sped likes this
  • HunterB unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, HunterB said:

• Implement regular updates from Asylum Staff Management to keep the community informed about changes, events, and future plans.

This is a big one that should be a thing. I remember when Clint would randomly give hints on future content in discord to build some hype in the community. Ask the community what they want, stop putting in stuff no one asked for or you know no one would like. Bring back some cartel life, its a cops and robber server now and that gets old for both sides fairly quickly. I've seen gang wars brought up tons of times with no response or "it takes a lot of planning". 

Sandwich likes this
19 minutes ago, Chow Mein said:

This is a big one that should be a thing. I remember when Clint would randomly give hints on future content in discord to build some hype in the community. Ask the community what they want, stop putting in stuff no one asked for or you know no one would like. Bring back some cartel life, its a cops and robber server now and that gets old for both sides fairly quickly. I've seen gang wars brought up tons of times with no response or "it takes a lot of planning". 

I am certain we can revisit this.  I personally never had any experience with it, but would like to find out more or set up a March Madness Event for Arma in terms of brackets lol

Fried Rice likes this

Community meetings in discord helped a lot about year ago. Aside from the stupid things, I feel like some good things come out of everybody getting a chance to voice their opinion at the same time. It helps people settle on decisions and really displays the impact an idea may have on the community.

Sandwich, GravL and HunterB like this
4 minutes ago, .Max said:

Community meetings in discord helped a lot about year ago. Aside from the stupid things, I feel like some good things come out of everybody getting a chance to voice their opinion at the same time. It helps people settle on decisions and really displays the impact an idea may have on the community.

We agree. We are planning to hold another one in the near future. We'll put out an announcement once we've decided on a date and time

Kawaii and .Max like this
6 hours ago, HunterB said:

Dear Asylum Community,

First and foremost, I want to extend my deepest gratitude to each and every one of you for being an important part of our community for so long. Your dedication and passion have helped shape Asylum into the vibrant community it is today.

However, it has come to our attention that some players are not satisfied with the current state of the server. We hear you, we are committed to addressing your concerns, and making necessary improvements. With that being said, I would like to outline a roadmap of ideas for the future, and I warmly welcome your suggestions and feedback through this post.

We get it, leadership on our part has not been the greatest.  I know this post doesn’t immediately fix anything, but we can and will do better going forward as the players of this community are our top priority.  We are planning to have a staff meeting this weekend and discuss current concerns and what we need to change to move forward.

Thank you for being a part of our community, and let's work together to make Asylum an even better place for everyone.

Sincerely,

The Senior Admins

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

@Roice <— Tagged and thank you for the response.

I Hope leadership revitalizing also includes Cop faction.

.Max likes this

Mitch was great because his allegiances were money and whatever the fuck made him more of it. It doesn't seem like you guys have as much incentive to keep the server alive. It'd be great if one of you profited from the betterment of the server and had an actual vision for where you want this community to go, but it doesn't look like that'll happen anytime soon. You guys are great at banning people and making dumb rules. I rate y'all 0/10 on the vision and direction of the community, but I appreciate your guys effort and your non-profit volunteering to single-handedly fuck up the server. My guess is you guys will fall right back into place until one of you holds a higher position than the others and actually takes charge of the server, independent from the influence of any one faction or group of people like how it seems to be now. It'd be easier if you owned a stake in the server but that's just my observation. I can't put all the blame on you guys, arma is seriously a dying game but I still think Mitch would've done it better even though I hardly liked that faggot.

We just need to realize that arma is a dying game and at the point where there is no incentive for new players to actually get on the server. Nobody wants to learn a new game where they constantly get shit on by players with thousands of hours. And the players with thousands of hours don’t want to teach new players things because the odds they keep playing are pretty slim. I think the server is too far gone to revive it during anytime but the summer. I do think the pop will pick up in the summer months as it usually does. Sadly it’s a mix of miscommunication within the actual staff. Faction staff and lack of development. We went way too long with devs that are too busy to care for a dying breed of players. I think @Fitzwas a great addition to the team but I think it was too late. 

Edited by Chris Peacock
3 hours ago, Farmer Steve said:

Mitch was great because his allegiances were money and whatever the fuck made him more of it. It doesn't seem like you guys have as much incentive to keep the server alive. It'd be great if one of you profited from the betterment of the server and had an actual vision for where you want this community to go, but it doesn't look like that'll happen anytime soon. You guys are great at banning people and making dumb rules. I rate y'all 0/10 on the vision and direction of the community, but I appreciate your guys effort and your non-profit volunteering to single-handedly fuck up the server. My guess is you guys will fall right back into place until one of you holds a higher position than the others and actually takes charge of the server, independent from the influence of any one faction or group of people like how it seems to be now. It'd be easier if you owned a stake in the server but that's just my observation. I can't put all the blame on you guys, arma is seriously a dying game but I still think Mitch would've done it better even though I hardly liked that faggot.

Out of all of Clint's puppet owners Mitch was the best. This Rogue dudes made like 5 forum posts since he has been owner. Has he even joined the server once in the last year?

More than anything the server needs constant development and new content to stay afloat. It's obviously easier said than done and previous dev teams hid behind a 'lack of ideas' or community ideas to build upon, but it is the most core necessity other than revisiting core leadership. If you need to finally pay someone to do it or have the creativity to have ideas then do it, as mentioned above a cash incentive to work on and keep the server alive should be more than enough to bring someone here to work on it. Is it not a 'long term investment' to keep the community going? Frankly if ownership doesn't see the future for the community 1-2 years ahead or how to get there then there needs to be an immediate change at the helm. The fact that after all of this the owner of the server itself hasn't stepped in to make a comment is insane. 

GravL likes this
  • HunterB unfeatured this topic
15 hours ago, 王 rando 王 said:

Has he even joined the server once in the last year?

Yes, he plays under alts on civ and occasionally cop otherwise the terminal meat riders would glaze him so hard his meat would catch fire.

He was vibing in Athira as recently as Sunday (4 days ago).

• 1 month later...

Gang Wars again would be nice. I remember when I was tasked to stream it back in like 2017. That was a great time that saw 300-400 viewers which was insane even for that periods viewership. I wouldn't even mind helping out with that again with other streamers alike. First one that comes to mind is someone like @zdeatHim and I could be commentators. That was my role in that Gang War all the way back and it was super fun. With admins too and the owner. 

---------------------------

Not only that but you need to some how market your product. I understand the game is dead. But there's still about 7,000-10,000 people that play Arma daily. There's still some hope to reach out to new people that've never played the server or even returning players to some degree. If you have a product that only relies on word of mouth to market, your product will never see the light of day. There needs to be someone who reaches out to content creators, streamers, etc. Some sort of plan. Maybe with a small budget to help promote the server with these creators. 

I've done the research as a successful creator myself and there's still hope with some specific streamers and youtubers that could possibly give the server a try. It's a slim chance, but making plans with these creators during an awesome server update with good timing could see GREAT results for people wanting to try it out. The Youtube scene for Arma 3 still gets great views, with a good bit still around entertaining Role Play-like videos. The Streaming scene still gets alright views with a few stand out streamers that do RP-like stuff. 

I'd love to work with upper staff to try to make this happen. I've been apart of Asylum for over 9 years now. I'm a creator that to some degree is bigger than 80% of the ARMA creators (400k on youtube, 500k on tiktok, almost 100 million total views over my career, etc). Let me be your leverage to try to help bring some eyes to your product here. I'm retired from the APD so I have all the time in the world to help focus up with marketing and everything with you guys. I cant escape this community. I come back every now and then. I'd love to make another appearance but this time make a difference with the whole server, rather than just the APD ♥️

I'm down to try if you are. @Rogue@HunterB@Akula

Fried Rice, zdeat, HunterB and 6 others like this
2 hours ago, Sandwich said:

There needs to be someone who reaches out to content creators, streamers, etc. Some sort of plan. Maybe with a small budget to help promote the server with these creators.

if this is something that gets pursued, i could talk to psisyn about it, he's still averaging about 20k views. this wouldn't be free though, i've gotten him to promote a gmod server before but cant recall the price he wanted, but he was also much more popular back then

Edited by GravL
Sandwich likes this
3 hours ago, Sandwich said:

There needs to be someone who reaches out to content creators, streamers, etc. Some sort of plan. Maybe with a small budget to help promote the server with these creators. 

I've tried this before and have brought it up to some of the SA's over the last year a few times. Doing something like this is a good start and doesnt technically require any budget if only giving in game items.

TLDR: Streamers get creator codes to allow new people or anyone to use a specific code in game. 

If anyone's interesting in more of what I talked about, here's the Doc I drafted.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lnGvxaz5uxP_Iwy5hHEjz5IypPcKGI3ZBcACXSKctj8

Edited by zdeat
Sandwich likes this
1 hour ago, GravL said:

if this is something that gets pursued, i could talk to psisyn about it, he's still averaging about 20k views. this wouldn't be free though, i've gotten him to promote a gmod server before but cant recall the price he wanted, but he was also much more popular back then

Already got some gears moving in regards to this. He’s definitely one to look out for. I recall his distaste for Asylum yeaaaaarrrssss ago but maybe that’s changed since. You never know! We’ll have to see I guess 🙏🏼

GravL likes this
5 hours ago, Sandwich said:

Gang Wars again would be nice. I remember when I was tasked to stream it back in like 2017. That was a great time that saw 300-400 viewers which was insane even for that periods viewership. I wouldn't even mind helping out with that again with other streamers alike. First one that comes to mind is someone like @zdeatHim and I could be commentators. That was my role in that Gang War all the way back and it was super fun. With admins too and the owner. 

---------------------------

Not only that but you need to some how market your product. I understand the game is dead. But there's still about 7,000-10,000 people that play Arma daily. There's still some hope to reach out to new people that've never played the server or even returning players to some degree. If you have a product that only relies on word of mouth to market, your product will never see the light of day. There needs to be someone who reaches out to content creators, streamers, etc. Some sort of plan. Maybe with a small budget to help promote the server with these creators. 

I've done the research as a successful creator myself and there's still hope with some specific streamers and youtubers that could possibly give the server a try. It's a slim chance, but making plans with these creators during an awesome server update with good timing could see GREAT results for people wanting to try it out. The Youtube scene for Arma 3 still gets great views, with a good bit still around entertaining Role Play-like videos. The Streaming scene still gets alright views with a few stand out streamers that do RP-like stuff. 

I'd love to work with upper staff to try to make this happen. I've been apart of Asylum for over 9 years now. I'm a creator that to some degree is bigger than 80% of the ARMA creators (400k on youtube, 500k on tiktok, almost 100 million total views over my career, etc). Let me be your leverage to try to help bring some eyes to your product here. I'm retired from the APD so I have all the time in the world to help focus up with marketing and everything with you guys. I cant escape this community. I come back every now and then. I'd love to make another appearance but this time make a difference with the whole server, rather than just the APD ♥️

I'm down to try if you are. @Rogue@HunterB@Akula

I'm on board with this. I appreciate the help. We can set up a meeting to talk over details. 👍

Sandwich likes this
21 minutes ago, DarkKnight said:

I'm on board with this. I appreciate the help. We can set up a meeting to talk over details. 👍

Sounds good! Sent a friend request on discord. “kremityt” 

2 hours ago, zdeat said:

I've tried this before and have brought it up to some of the SA's over the last year a few times. Doing something like this is a good start and doesnt technically require any budget if only giving in game items.

TLDR: Streamers get creator codes to allow new people or anyone to use a specific code in game. 

If anyone's interesting in more of what I talked about, here's the Doc I drafted.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lnGvxaz5uxP_Iwy5hHEjz5IypPcKGI3ZBcACXSKctj8

This could be pretty cool! Good stuff.